FORUMS: list search recent posts

lock projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
lock projects?
on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:41:16 am

Hi..

Several times I have accidentally worked on previous projects in a row of i.e duplicate edit 01, edit 02 edit 03 etc.

I have gone back because the director liked a small bit and copied it into the latest ... but then didn't realise I was still editing on the wrong version. Mostly cos she was breathing down my neck and too much coffee was shaking may hand!!! This has lead to understandable confusion.

I know I must concentrate and be very careful. Its partly because the events window viewer highlights the one I have copied clips from, but the one that is open is different and but is listed in the left hand side of the time line.

I have a habit of double clicking these projects too. ...... therefor they open without me noticing..... ***** I don't want to trash these old edits but would like to be able to lock them or archive them with out trashing them. Any ideas apart from smart collections. Has anyone also else clicked on wrong projects ? I am trigger happy with a wacom pen... me thinks. But it has got me into many a mess.

Anita

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: lock projects?
on Jul 17, 2014 at 10:24:11 am

Nope. It's up to you. I don't actually know of a single NLE that does that. Unless recent updates of the one or other snuck it in. That's also what snapshots are for.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:54:46 am

Every NLE I've used as of late except X allows you to lock all the tracks. Same result. To do anything you have to be very mindful that you're unlocking tracks.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:25:22 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:25:43 am

Hi Anita,

I too would like be able to "lock off tracks" (to use other NLE parlance) as in other NLEs if only to remind me it's not a current project/timeline if I accidentally go into the wrong version. My workaround is to disable everything in the timeline when i'm done with that version as a visual reminder that I'm done.

There may be better ways. It used to give me peace of mind to be able to lock everything off. I miss it.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:56:00 pm

Thanks guys lots of ideas here...

My workaround is to disable everything in the timeline when i'm done with that version as a visual reminder that I'm done.

That is a brilliant idea.... then I know just by looking that I have archived it. WELL DONE... but I hope thats something they will do in future...

Just left an enhancement feedback for this.

Anita

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:33:05 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jul 17, 2014 at 11:33:23 am

Hi Anita,

Actually smart collections or keywords ain't a bad idea. Apply the keywords 'previous version' or something like that.

Doesn't quite do what we want but a good thought thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:47:24 pm

Make one Project, and then use snapshots for versions.

I have remapped the snapshot command to command-d.

You can also keyword Projects, but you have to remember to manage the keywords. When you duplicate a Project, the keyword also duplicates. It works if you remember to keyword/unkeyword Projects.

I find snapshots to be most effective.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:58:47 pm

Out of interest Jeremy why no "lock off tracks" (apart from that I know we don't have tracks any more but you get my drift I'm sure)?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:13:13 pm

[James Ewart] "Out of interest Jeremy why no "lock off tracks" (apart from that I know we don't have tracks any more but you get my drift I'm sure)?"

I don't know why you can't "lock" Projects, but it's a good feature request.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 17, 2014 at 5:05:13 pm

Thank you Jeremy,

Kind of a standard part of everyone's workflow isn't it?

"Client/EP approval"

then

"Lock off tracks"

Actually with Legacy I always wanted a single command to lock everything off in one go and I bet now somebody's going to tell me there was one all along.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 17, 2014 at 7:19:31 pm

This is a great feature request : A one button "picture lock" for a project file. D'oh why didn't I think of that?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 18, 2014 at 12:57:58 am

I don't think there was. But you could option click a lock to lock all the audio, then option click a lock to lock all the video. Quicker than locking one by one.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 18, 2014 at 7:19:45 am

Hi... maybe can you all ask for this as a feature enhancement. they will need more than one request or do they look at these cow forums.? It would be so useful.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 18, 2014 at 7:58:37 am

Thanks Bret. Damn!!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2014 at 11:16:53 pm

Use snapshots for versioning and safety.

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcp-x-create-project-snapshots-video/

The name is automatically titled with the "snapshot" and "date" added. This would be hard to mistake for your current version and FC allows you to reorganize stuff by creating a new event and moving stuff where you want. Maybe an event where you store your snapshots. Leaving only the current one in the event. You can also rename stuff if this isn't doing the trick for you. I could see where edit 3 might get confusing if you don't remember what version you were on or have three very similar looking projects opened at once. Unless you have a particular need i would have one project open at a time. I make mistakes when I'm toggling my brain between six different things.

Sounds like the director is micro managing. It's one thing for her to have creative ideas and feedback. Its her baby. But grabbing an old bit that got changed ... let her just tell you I liked this bit - can we get that back in somehow. There might have been a reason it got edited out even if some of the baby got lost in the wash.

Often we have great moments or lines that just don't work with the sequence and need to be cut even if the moment was great.

When you do need a break from your project - skip the coffee and go do something physical. Get away from the computer and stretch and move.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 23, 2014 at 3:25:03 am

Thanks Craig...

Many a true word said there. Some of the "best footage is left on the cutting room floor".
As for getting physical..... I'm getting there. LOL.. Larry is GREAT! Thanks.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 23, 2014 at 8:51:33 am

Sounds like you might want to look into using Auditions also, instead of replacing thing entirely. Pretty much exactly what they are for, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]