FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Pro as second machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Macbook Pro as second machine
on Jul 16, 2014 at 10:25:20 pm

Hi I purchased a Mac pro 6 core machine with d700 cards. Pretty capable as a primary machine.

I am in the market for a new macbook pro and was wondering if I could get away with a maxed out processor and 16 gigs of ram but not have the dual GPUs.

I would use the macbook probably for light transit editing , loading footage in the field etc...

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Macbook Pro as second machine
on Jul 16, 2014 at 11:34:44 pm

Sure thing- the MacBook Pro is pretty capable, especially with 16GB RAM. It's a nice mobile complement to your main Mac Pro editing station.

Noah

Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:38:06 am

You didn't specify the format or raster you're shooting in, but depending on that variable, don't be shocked if you end up sometimes using the portable as your primary system without realizing it. ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:41:59 am

I recently bought a top of the line MBPr, to ingest and sort footage, and to build rough cuts on site to check the footage while on shooting trips, and it does the job flawlessly. I recently bought a Delkin TB adapter, and I've found the MBPr with two external displays, external drives, keyboard and mouse, and audio monitoring device, connected via a single TB cable, can go through more robust editing with no problem. I am ending up using it very frequently as my main machine.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Jul 17, 2014 at 1:21:54 am

Thanks guys. Basically do you think I could get away with not having that extra nvidia graphics card? I was thinking of tricking out a 13 inch with 16 gigs ram and the 2.6 i7 and save over 500 bucks.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:28:11 am

[Peter Vandall] "Basically do you think I could get away with not having that extra nvidia graphics card?"

Completely depends on what your everyday work on it will be. If it's FCP et al then you will *not* enjoy yourself. Unless of course you're just doing straight cuts, no transitions, no effects, no color... and in SD. ;)

[Peter Vandall] "I was thinking of tricking out a 13 inch with 16 gigs ram and the 2.6 i7 and save over 500 bucks."

Again, if no major editing etc. is planned for it, sure. You're talking about the Intel Iris Graphics... i.e. shared memory. Worst choice possible IMO. Then you might as well get a Mac Mini and save $1000 and have an even faster machine. :)

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:23:21 pm

Peter -

Along side my 2013 Mac Pro, I use a fully loaded rMBP i7 daily. I connect to a Sonnet IIID and use an ATTO R680 for tape and my disk array, ATTO FastFrame 10GbE, and a Sonnet QiO expander card. I also connect to a 24" ViewSonic on my desk at home and the office.

Just like I love FCP X, I love using FCP X on my rMBP.

You'll not be disappointed.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 17, 2014 at 4:29:38 pm

Only a 13" MBP has little in common with an rMBP. No Retina and, worst of all, no dedicated GPU. The cornerstone of performance when it comes to FCP & Co.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]