FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Effect Similar to Strobe on Motion Tab in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
FCP X Effect Similar to Strobe on Motion Tab in FCP 7
on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:03:53 pm

Been looking for that friendly "strobe" effect that shows up under the Motion Tab in FCP 7 but for use in FCP X. I can't find anything close. All the places on the internet I've been to either discuss how to make a variable "strobe" effect as a Motion 5 Template,or they are downloading a filter that alternates frames of black/white/color OR a frame from your overly and background tracks. Should I be calling this a "stutter" effect? I'm just want to make the video have a jerky motion-which is great for high energy sports promos.
Any thoughts? This seemed so basic and easy in FCP 7, I'm surprised and a bit frustrated this basic effect doesn't seem to be available in X. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

D's Video

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCP X Effect Similar to Strobe on Motion Tab in FCP 7
on Jul 14, 2014 at 9:35:09 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jul 14, 2014 at 10:39:31 pm

[David Cooke] "Been looking for that friendly "strobe" effect that shows up under the Motion Tab in FCP 7"

I'm working in FCP7 now and see no such thing. Where exactly do you see it?

Edit... ah, you mean the strobe effect. :-) You're right... not there. I just made this one if you want. Unzip the attached file and stick the whole folder in your Movies>Motion Templates>Effects folder. You can make a folder called "Custom" or something in there first, then put this Strobe folder in it. so it'll sort nicely.

7740_strobe.zip

The "mix" slider adjusts the uh... mix ;-) and the "amount" slider adjusts the percentage of the original that plays. 0 just freezes the first frame and 100 plays the clip with no strobing. Hope it helps...
-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:51:54 pm

Sorry about that Charlie. I mispoke of the location of the "Strobe" effect in FCP 7. The "strobe" is a regular effect under the "effects" tab and not under the "motion tab". The effect gives you 2 simple controls. The "strobe rate, and an option to "mix" this effect onto your clip from 0 to 100% opacity. Works great. I just haven't been able to find anything like that in FCP X.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:57:09 pm

[David Cooke] "Sorry about that Charlie. I mispoke of the location of the "Strobe" effect in FCP 7. The "strobe" is a regular effect under the "effects" tab and not under the "motion tab"."

No problem... thought I'd been missing something all this time. ;-) Anyway, the effect I made and posted above does just that. :-) Give it a try...

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:10:05 pm

Thank you very much Charlie. I'm only on FCP X when I'm at work. So I will install the plug-in later today at COB. (Still using the Quad 2.5 Motorala-based mac from 2007. Still works like new in the box, but will have to upgrade later this year).

D's Video

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Aug 14, 2014 at 2:17:23 pm

Just want to thank you VERY MUCH Charlie for the Strobe plug-in. It works!

D's Video

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:05:12 pm

[David Cooke] "Just want to thank you VERY MUCH Charlie for the Strobe plug-in. It works!
"

My pleasure. Honestly, it's just a published Motion effect. Very easy to do, but glad it worked! :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]