FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import settings change on latest FCPX version?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fabrizio D'Agnano
Import settings change on latest FCPX version?
on Jul 11, 2014 at 11:42:20 pm

Hello.
I upgraded to the latest FCPX version. Now I've found a couple of changes I don't like much. The first is that when I import my dailies from the various cards, I am no more prompted to choose which external folder I want to copy the media in. It seems I need to go to the library preferences before each import and specify if I want the media to be copied into the "interviews", "underwater scenes" or "landscapes" folder, for example. The second is that the media files are no longer named with date and time, but refer to the original camera naming. I know I can rename them in the browser, but the original media will still be named "clip 001" or such, unless I am missing something. Is there any way to change these setting to something more like the previous versions before going through workarounds?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Import settings change on latest FCPX version?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 4:03:55 am

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "Is there any way to change these setting to something more like the previous versions before going through workarounds?"

Nope, that's the new way of doing things. You're not prompted regarding your cards because you have a camera format that requires the clips to be rewrapped as a QT. So that's why you need to assign a place for media in the Library inspector.

As for the naming convention, this was a fix to an issue many people had with FCPX renaming camera files which makes charting their course through the workflow more difficult. Now a camera file keeps it's original name throughout the process, but FCPX still organizes those clips by folders which it time/date stamps.

You can rename the clips in the browser very easily, and if you find it necessary, you can quickly rename them in the finder with a naming app (I like Name Changer).

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: Import settings change on latest FCPX version?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 6:27:57 pm

[Andy Neil] "You're not prompted regarding your cards because you have a camera format that requires the clips to be rewrapped as a QT. So that's why you need to assign a place for media in the Library inspector."

Yes, it's the same card I had before, but I did not need to assign a folder before opening the import window. I could choose it right before importing from the dialog window. I hope this new process is good for the majority, because it seems a huge step back for my workflow. I'll admit I did not have much time to find a new importing, naming and backup strategy, being on a work trip where I have just enough time left to collect the dailies, but what I see is I can't send my imported files to appropriate folders without entering the Library inspector (and I hope there's no problem when consolidating). Before, I used to send some of the media to some folder, some to another, so that I could easily keep, at finder level, an archive or backup copy of what could be used for future projects (landscapes, underwater scenes, etc), and and do something different to clips tied to the very project (interviews etc). I'd like all the naming process to be made within FCPX, but there's no "rename file to clip name" command, so if I rename the clip in the browser I will still have clip001 or such in the finder, and a round trip renaming/relinking. Maybe I'll need to find a new workflow.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
New Media Management. What's your workflow?
on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:50:07 pm

Still trying to figure out an ingesting/renaming/archiving process that allows me to skip unnecessary and potentially dangerous Finder actions that I didn't need in the previous release, I am curious to know if and how the new Media Management affected other editors workflows.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: New Media Management. What's your workflow?
on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:59:06 pm

For me personally it made absolutely no difference either way, since clip names are completely irrelevant to me in the context of how X works and organizes. If anything, then I found the date/time stamp renaming far more annoying.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:22:11 pm

Was it irrelevant also that you must now send your ingested media to a single external folder or to the library, and move it later to subfolders via the Finder? At the moment, I am ingesting to the storage destination that's specified in the Library properties, and then have to move the media via the finder to more relevant subfolders matching the library Events structure for future archival management. Do you usually work with managed or external media?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:33:21 pm

Both. Depending on the project. But then Avid and Media100 did the exact same thing (saved everything into a single, central media folder) exclusively for pretty much decades and was never a problem either. As did FCP 7 when coming from tape. So I don't see how this is "new" or different. If you're coming from disk you can have the files anywhere you want and they can be named anyway you want. Previous versions of X essentially had only those two options also. Actually, even less since you couldn't in fact ingest from a camera without saving the footage into the "library", period. So if anything, the way it is now is exponentially better and more flexible. Merely the nomenclature has changed, which, again, is irrelevant to me. If anything then I want the clips to be named the way I set the camera up to name them, not some cystic date/time stamp. So it's now (much) better than before.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what it is you are trying/wanting to do, that has in fact never been possible with ANY NLE to date.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 15, 2014 at 6:56:30 pm

Maybe there's some misunderstanding, because it was actually possible in the previous version of FCPX to send the media to folders different from the library you could select on the fly without leaving the import window. I produce mostly underwater travel chronicles style documentaries. At the end of the day I have to gather shots coming from an underwater camera, an external camera, and a couple of GoPro's, for both dry and wet use. Before, I used to ingest from the cards sending the media to relevant folders and to dedicate events. For example, if I needed to ingest from one of the uw cams, I used to send the media to a "2014-07-Gibraltar-UW" folder, external, in a general folder named something like "2014-07-Gibraltar-Media". If I had to ingest from a card from a GoPro containing wet and dry footage, I could select one or more of the clips into the import window and choose to send the media to the "UW" or "Interviews" or "Landscapes" or whatever, without ever leaving the import window. The footage was sent to an external folder matching the Events structure, and once home I could copy the "UW" or "Landscapes" media folders onto another RAID set for future use in different projects, and use the "Interviews" that are not suitable for use in different projects along with the current one (no need to archive in a readily searchable RAID set). Now I can't do that. I need to send the footage to a single folder, if I don't want to make it managed (and I don't want, since I often need to swap the drive between a MP and a MBPr). After ingesting, I need to move the folders FCPX created into the Library destination folder onto the desired folders. And if I have mixed footage, I have to manually select it one by one. Yesterday I had a problem because FCPX created a folder with the same name of a previously created and already moved one, so that I, for a mistake, replaced the first, that was containing different footage. While wondering why the possibility to choose a destination for the media without having to quit the import window, go to the Library inspector, etc. was removed, I am looking for the best possible way to set a workflow as free as possible of human mistakes, as was the previous one. I think I'm not the only one to have this maybe peculiar needs, and maybe somebody else already found a workaround or a different workflow.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:21:45 am

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "Maybe there's some misunderstanding, because it was actually possible in the previous version of FCPX to send the media to folders different from the library you could select on the fly without leaving the import window"

Yes that is correct. Now when you create a new library you can open what amounts to a preferences window in the inspector and choose where you want to store your media, your cache, and your back ups. That to me is a step forward. Previously even though you were putting your media in a folder outside the library the render files would end up populating the library anyway. However if you do a new import and want stuff in different folders than what you chose last time, then you have two choices.

You can open this locations window first, chose a new destination for media, and then open the import window.

Or, and I think this fits your way of working: in the finder create the folders you want; even add tags to the folders and or files. Then when you open the import window you can leave files in place and optimize if needed. The tags and folder names will be recognized in FCP. I don't optimize our P2 media because AVC-Intra 100 is a very good editing codec and now FCP can read it natively. I can see the clips in the import window without any rewrapping or optimizing.

You should be able to override location settings in the import window, but not in this version. I also do not see a way to do a batch rename upon import. So that's another step. However, none of this take very long once you get used to it and the program gives you a lot of freedom to choose where stuff goes, what its called (without loosing original names or loosing track of where stuff is) and making changes and importing with meta data - by folder by tags.

The way I see it is FCP X is allowing a lot of finder level integration and freedom and a lot of metadata ingestion which is going to take time one way of the other.

FC is definitely designed to have all the media for a given library in one place even if you have the freedom to do it otherwise. Consolidate also will put all media in one folder in or out of the library. Again as selected in the media storage location window. Itself a two step process. More steps, less chance of error, more user freedom. Some loss of ergonomics. Longer learning curve.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:01:50 am

[Craig Alan] "Or, and I think this fits your way of working: in the finder create the folders you want; even add tags to the folders and or files. Then when you open the import window you can leave files in place and optimize if needed."

Thank you. While I like a lot the new options about render files, I still don't know why the import destination folder option was removed. However, as you figured in your post, I found a way to deal with what seems to be a flaw for my very own workflow (I can see there are almost no complaints about this on the Creative Cow, so it's not a shared problem). In the part of your post I'm quoting you're maybe referring to imported files. If I ingest from a AVCHD card I can't, and don't want to, leave files in place. Or maybe there's something I didn't understand. However, this is where I ended: As you suggested, I create folders via the Finder in a general Media drive, or wherever outside of the library. I set one folder for import, another for "Underwater scenes", another for "External shots", etc. Then I import from the card. Right after the card import is over, without quitting FCPX, I go to the Finder, go to the Original Media folder FCPX has created, rename the folder containing the imported files from "2014-07-23" to something like "2014-07-23-UWCanon", and then drag the folder onto the "Underwater scenes" I already created in my Media location. If I don't rename the folder, when I import from the next card I won't be able to drag it to the Media folder because there'll be another with the same name. Now I rename the clips with date and time in the browser, and I am happy I don't have to relink. It seems a longer route to me, and a more dangerous one than simply changing destination in the import window, and there's no possibility to send some clips from the same card to the "Interviews" and other to the "Landscapes" folders without quitting. The reason I use this Media structure is because there's some Media I keep in a handy location like a large external RAID for use in future projects, like most of the landscapes or UW scenes, and other that's going to be archived with the current project, like interviews etc. The next option I want to explore is going for the "single media folder" strategy suggested by FCPX, and keep the whole library once deleted the render and optimized files in the handy Media RAID. Working with AVCHD source media, the tax on backup, archive and storage space should not be that large.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:07:00 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:09:25 pm

Not sure I quite followed all of this. But get the gist.
I meant leave in place from the location of the copied or archived camera card in the finder
not the card itself. I have not tested if these would work together in the exact same folder. But a folder within the folder works for media card copies.

I would try to come up with a work flow that did not involve moving stuff out of where you had FC put them - though I have done this and been able to relink.

I think its best to come up with a solid workflow where everything is imported where you want it.

First make an archive or exact copy of the media card(s). Always good to have this in case your media gets corrupted or a different application can't read FC's version. Store these where you like.

In the finder, make a folder labeled for your first media card optimized or rewrapped media.

Next in FC, set that folder location in the modify storage location window.

Then import. Do this for each unique location/folder you want.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:48:51 pm

Yes, Craig.
Thank you, I think that's the way to go. I always build camera archives of each card while I'm somewhere gathering footage, and keep a double copy of each archive on separated drives, other than the ones I import, sort, name and comment media onto. What I don't like much of the process of switching the media destinations in the Library Properties is ending up with folders with the same name containing clips with the same names (ex. folder "original media", subfolder "2014-07-21", clip#1, clip#2 etc) but totally different media. That's why I had abandoned this workflow at first, after replacing a wrong folder while building a backup copy on another portable drive. After reading your post, I checked once again. I found (and double checked a few seconds ago) I can actually rename the folders right after capture, without FCPX asking to relink the files, so that's the most viable solution, and the naming is not really an issue, after all, just a few more clicks....

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 23, 2014 at 5:02:45 pm

Cool. FC seems to be good at allowing renaming things without loosing their links. Inside the program as well. Can't tell you the number of times I'd go through a panic in FCP3-7 when something went off line.

And I agree and know we are not alone in wanting to choose a location inside the import window. Particularly when it opens when you mount a media card.

Would be nice to set a location, name the folder or subfolder, do a batch rename, add some keywords all in that window.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 23, 2014 at 8:01:06 pm

Yes, and it's a pity that at least one of the features was already there and was killed.....

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 24, 2014 at 9:32:01 am

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "it's a pity that at least one of the features was already there and was killed"

Which? I don't see any features that were. Maybe moved, but not REmoved.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:12:23 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Which? I don't see any features that were. Maybe moved, but not REmoved."

Maybe it depends if one is referring to the process or to the final result. If you look at it as to the possibility to directly send the media to an external folder of one's choice without quitting the import panel, going to the Library Property, modifying the Library destination folder, reopening the import panel, and eventually sending the clips in the desired folder, I see it as a removed option. Of course one can still take a longer route and eventually end up doing the same, so you can consider it as a moved option as well.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:27:28 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:41:41 pm

I don't get it. For what you're doing/trying to do extremely little changes. If anything really. You import your media to an external location WITHOUT generating the proxies upon import, after which you're out of the import window. After which you simply switch your storage location for media i.e. proxies (all without re-entering the import window) to the library and kick off the creation of the proxies. Done. In older versions you would not have been able to even do that. So how has anything been removed and isn't in fact better?

But yes, I agree that having original media, optimized AND proxy grouped into one location setting (at least the original should be different from optimized and proxy) isn't the most ideal in every situation. But then, you can make them different by switching as described. It could just be easier to do I suppose.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]