FORUMS: list search recent posts

why do gaps appear in my compound clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Williams
why do gaps appear in my compound clip?
on Jul 10, 2014 at 6:02:44 am

I have two similar projects, similar in structure, 1080p, 48KHz, etc.
I made a compound clip of each project by opening the project, selecting all clips, then File->New->Compound Clip.

A funny thing happened. One compound clip was just fine, but when I opened the 2nd compound clip it had 1 frame gaps between each original clip. See pictures below.

First a section of the original timeline:

and what it looked like after I selected all, turned it into a new compound clip, then opened that compound clip:

As you can see, the gaps between the clips, aside from being unsightly, ruin the timing of both the video and the audio. This happens to only one of the 2 projects I tried it on. I can't figure out what the missing variable is. Any ideas?

John F. Williams

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: why do gaps appear in my compound clip?
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:22:13 pm

Different frame rates?

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Jul 10, 2014 at 7:30:14 pm

Clips in both projects were shot with the same camera at 29.97 fps. Oddly enough, the first clip of each is a still photo which shows up as having a frame rate of 60fps, which seems baffling to me. But even that's the same in each project.

John F. Williams

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 8:40:16 pm

What is the frame rate of your timeline? 29.97?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:13:09 pm

I've had lots of odd frame-based quirks with timelines where photos start or are entirely all of the project. I think it's rooted in the issue that the FCP X architecture is no longer truly based on time being an absolute constant.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:34:12 pm

I made a snapshot of the original project#1, then removed the 60fps still and a 44.1KHz music clip from the beginning of the shapshot, then turned it into a compound clip, and there were no spurious gaps between clips.

(reminder, all the other clips are 29.97 fps and 48Khz)

To double check, I made another snapshot of project#1 and turned it into a compound clip without removing the clips at the beginning, and it had the erroneous gaps.

But the problem isn't just the still or the music, because I repeated the test with the other project, project#2, and when I made a compound clip from a snapshot, it was fine, with no gaps, as it always had been. The beginning of project#2 also has that same music clip and a still (60fps) at the beginning.

The only thing I could see different about the beginning of the 2 projects, is that project#1 had a "shapes" clip also at the beginning that project#2 didn't. I added the same shapes clip to the beginning of project#2, but turning it into a compound clip still worked correctly.

So after a lot of experimenting with 2 similar projects I'm no closer to understanding why one of them has gaps inserted between clips when turned into a compound clip and the other doesn't.

John F. Williams

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 16, 2014 at 6:48:21 pm

Please send this to Apple as feedback/bug report. It seems rather buggy.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Jul 26, 2014 at 11:13:33 pm

I am returning to this project, which is combining 3 of my short movies into 1.
Instead of creating a compound clip of the movie that was creating the problem, I simply opened it, highlighted all clips in the timeline, copied it, then pasted the clips into the new, combined timeline. There were not the same gaps between each clip, but the timing was still altered. The total pasted section was almost a second longer than the original I copied from, and the relationships between some of the clips were changed.

How can one rely on a system that does this? It didn't report any problems, but produced a screwy result. I guess my only option at this point is to export the original as a self-contained movie, then import that into the combined version. I didn't do this originally because a) it meant duplication of media, and b) I wanted to change the beginning and ending a little in the combined version (e,.g. remove the credits at the end, etc.)

John F. Williams

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Jul 16, 2014 at 5:03:31 pm

The frame rate of the timeline is 29.97

John F. Williams

Return to posts index

sam north
on Apr 1, 2015 at 5:32:18 am

Hi the same thing has happened to me! So I started again and it happened the second time too!
Did you fix it? If so how? Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]