FORUMS: list search recent posts

Virtual Perspectives with 4k

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Virtual Perspectives with 4k
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:23:24 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:29:03 pm

Just did my first 4k shoot with the new Panasonic GH4. I'm experimenting with scaling in a 1080p timeline to see if I can get three virtual perspectives from one camera. If I set the footage Spatial Conform to "None" and drop it in a 1080 timeline, I get this at 100%:

Setting the scale to 75%, I get this:

And at 50%, this, which shows the full 4k frame:

I'm interested in other opinions here. Does this look like enough of a perspective change to avoid the discomfort of a jump cut?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Virtual Perspectives with 4k
on Jul 10, 2014 at 1:52:28 am

Jason that looks awesome. I literally just found an online retailer selling one in stock and ordered it. Curious to know if you got native Panasonic lenses vs the Nikkon Speedboster option. I want to grab a Panny lens to hold me over until the proverbial EF to MFT speed booster comes out (I only have Canon glass).

The more I see the more excited I am about this camera.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 10, 2014 at 2:33:04 am

[John Davidson] "The more I see the more excited I am about this camera."

John: IMO, the Panasonic GH series has offered more-for-the-money than any other cameras out there and the GH4 is a fantastic update. They've been overlooked and derided by the Canon crowd, but if they want to spend more, carry more and have fewer features for similar imagery, who am I to stop them?

Regarding lenses, I do have a passive adaptor and a bunch of manual Nikons, but I'm also gradually collecting the Panny lenses and starting to use those more. I shot this with the Panasonic 25mm f1.4. I have the 14-140 which came with my GH2. It's decent for shooting outdoors, but too slow for inside. I also have an Olympus 9-18mm which is fantastic for exteriors and landscapes. I have the Panny 35-100 f2.8 on order, but it is out of stock everywhere on the planet.

Spare batteries also seem to be unavailable, anywhere, at the moment. I have been able to rent them at lensrentals.com, though. Fortunately, battery life is much improved over the GH2. I'm also waiting for stock on Panasonic's SD cards, so I don't have to spend twice as much for the SanDisk's.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 2:58:19 am

Hi, Jason.

I've posted this here before, but we shoot like this (4k in 1080) fairly often.

One trick with framing your subject to leave the wide shot just a little bit looser than normal (more towards middle of frame), so you can reframe.

Here's my example: 6766_optics264.mov.zip

The second shot is the full 4k shot.

With your provided examples, I'd vary the eye line a little more so it feel like a true reframing, and less like a zoom, if that makes any sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:09:22 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd vary the eye line a little more so it feel like a true reframing, and less like a zoom, if that makes any sense."

I was very recently reprimanded by a client for not adhering precisely to the rule of thirds. And now here you are trying to talk me out of it!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:09:06 am

[Jason Jenkins] "I was very recently reprimanded by a client for not adhering precisely to the rule of thirds. And now here you are trying to talk me out of it!"

Rules were made to be broken!

You don't have to "violate" the rule of thirds for this method at all, you can always use the other thirds, there's lots of them.

It worked in my example due to the background (the negative space is pleasing enough to get away with it) and deliberate framing.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:10:49 pm
Last Edited By Jason Jenkins on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:12:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Rules were made to be broken!"

In this case I was given screenshots of my footage, with red lines overlaid, showing how the eyes of my subject did not perfectly align with the horizontal demarcation 1/3 down from the top of the image. It was also a requirement that the subject be aligned on the vertical 1/3 demarcation, looking into the open 2/3's.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:15:34 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "In this case I was given screenshots of my footage, with red lines overlaid, showing how the eyes of my subject did not perfectly align with the horizontal demarcation 1/3 down from the top of the image"

Are you talking about this project or another project?

The good thing about 4k in 1080 is that you have the room to reframe.

So, if you need to adjust it, you can.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:17:37 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Are you talking about this project or another project?"

Not this one, a previous project.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:23:18 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "Not this one, a previous project."

Well, I'm not sure the rule of thirds states that eye lines have to be on a third.

They can be, but certainly don't have to be.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:55:29 pm

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I've never been comfortable with this idea of "punching in" from a wider shot to a closeup with no change of angle.

I was taught (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) that a minimum of 30 degrees was needed to avoid the cut feeling like a jump cut. By definition, simply zooming in and reframing would therefore be a jump cut because of the consistent angle. Not that it couldn't be effective, but it would be as a "shock" cut, rather than a seamless cut.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:15:29 am

The 25mm looks like a winner to me. How far away from subject did you have to get since the 4K crops the image so much?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 10, 2014 at 3:56:34 pm

[John Davidson] "The 25mm looks like a winner to me. How far away from subject did you have to get since the 4K crops the image so much?"

With the Micro 4/3's sensor, you get about a 2x crop, so the 25mm is effectively a 50mm. I'd say I was about 8 feet from the subject.

You'll notice with the Panasonic lenses that the crop factor is taken into account and the effective focal lengths are well known and oft-used. 25mm=50mm, 35-100mm=70-200mm, 42.5=85mm, etc...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:12:59 am

Just got the lens. Camera arrives Monday. The lens is so small! Really excited about this :).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]