FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two versions of FCP X on one machine

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Two versions of FCP X on one machine
on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:36:49 pm

I have a project in limbo that's holding up the updating of one of the computers I work on. I would like to maintain a copy of FCP X 10.0.9 so as to complete the project in this version without updating the Events and Projects. It's very complex and I'm concerned that the translation in the update will become messed up. However, I would also like to update the OS and FCP X versions on this machine to current. What would be the best way to do this? Dual boot or some other method? Thanks.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Two versions of FCP X on one machine
on Jul 9, 2014 at 4:23:51 pm

[Oliver Peters] "However, I would also like to update the OS and FCP X versions on this machine to current. What would be the best way to do this? Dual boot…?"

How else could that be possible?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 9, 2014 at 4:58:16 pm

I think dual boot is your best/only option. I have Mountain Lion and FCPX10.0.9 on one partition and fully updated on the other and it works well.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:55:43 pm

You could simply install both versions under the same OS and disk. Only you'd have to deal with having to redefine which library/event you want to open or cancel updating old ones every time you use one after the other.

On the other hand I assisted in upgrading a collection of hundreds of 10.0.9 projects and events at a studio a few weeks ago. No translation errors have been found to this day. But since we opted to update either single events or only small groups at a time using Philip's Event Manager, adding them to select libraries as we went along, it took a painfully long time...

But then, even if there HAD been any detrimental errors or any show up, the original events were saved anyway. They can go back at any time. And since the files are hard-linked, they don't even take up any additional space.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:17:38 pm

Why not dupe the project, update the dupe in the new version, and see if you have anything to fear other than fear itself?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 10, 2014 at 7:25:06 pm

I do this on a Mac Pro.
Due to issues with Resolve, I have a 10.9.2 drive, 10.9.4 and 10.7.x for legacy Final Cut.
Works like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]