FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trimming a clip with a transition on it

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
Trimming a clip with a transition on it
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:04:01 pm
Last Edited By David Cooke on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:15:00 pm

7 Year FCP 7 editor that is 3 weeks into FCP X. In FCP 7, you could trim (1 frame at a time or the click and drag) after you go to the "r" key (shortcut)-which turns it into the "roll function.-Icon is 2 small circles with a horizontal line splitting them. And the ENTIRE clip is shortened or lengthened WITH the transition still INTACT. But so far in FCP X, when I trim, it affects the transition only. I'm wanting to trim everything . Currently, I'm re-deleting my transition, trimming the clip, THEN adding the transition back.
Very inefficient I feel.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Don Smith
Re: Trimming a clip with a transition on it
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:25:27 pm

A couple ways to do this...

If you zoom into the transition you'll see a couple of vertical lines in the upper corners. Those are 'thumbs' that you can drag to change the length of a clip. The thumb on the left is the left edge of the clip to the right and the thumb on the right is the right edge of the clip to the left.

Drag on a side but not a thumb and you change the length of the transition.

Drag on the two triangles facing each other (they look kinda like a bow tie) to roll the edit back and forth.

Finally, you can 'enter' the transition by double-clicking on it and you'll see three tracks with the outgoing clip on top, the transition in the middle, and the incoming track on the bottom. There you can do total customization.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jul 8, 2014 at 3:48:59 pm

Thank you Don! We'll check it out later today. And get back to our Ripple Training videos and try not
to "clog up" The COW with our "newbie" questions.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:21:14 pm

Also, you can use the shortcuts to select the edges. ( [ = lt edge, ] = rt edge, and \= both edges ). Playhead needs to be on the cut so use the up/down arrows to place it. Then the period and comma keys will nudge the clip left and right one frame. Holding SHIFT increases that to 10 fr at a time.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:27:28 pm

[Don Smith] "Finally, you can 'enter' the transition by double-clicking on it and you'll see three tracks with the outgoing clip on top"

Also called the Precision Editor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]