FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview Audio Not Playing on iPhone speaker?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erick Puentes
Interview Audio Not Playing on iPhone speaker?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:53:10 pm

I just created my first multi-cam interview/product demo and all seems great, until I upload the exported video to YouTube and can't hear any audio when played out of an iPhone speaker. If I plug in headphones, it sounds great but out of its speaker nothing. I suppose this has to do with the audio being "out-of-phase". I tried changing the audio in the original multi-cam clip to "dual mono" but nothing that completely got rid of the audio. I changed it back to the "stereo" but dont' know why it won't play out of the iPhone speaker but sounds great from a laptop/PC. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

~Erick

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Interview Audio Not Playing on iPhone speaker?
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:19:56 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:21:20 pm

I doubt it's a phase issue. It's exceedingly rare that a complex signal is PERFECTLY out of phase to the point where it totally kills the audio entirely.

I'd suspect that you have some type of patching issue. Or something going wrong in the iPhone encoding.

Your thinking of summing everything to mono is a good idea, tho. Unless you KNOW that the only way people will listen is on stereo systems, mono solves a lot of problems. Thats why stuff like huge Rock Concerts are typically mixed in Mono. Makes large venue sound reinforcement much simpler to get right.

And the same idea holds true when you're sending stuff out into the world where there's no way to track how it will be played back.

(pains me to even mention it, but you have checked volume and mute and a problem with the cutoff headphone jack on the iPhone, right? I know, sorry to even bring it up.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:22:09 pm

On your iPhone go in to Settings > General > Accessibility and make sure that mono audio is off, and the pan is selected in the middle of L and R.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:38:58 pm

@Bill: I check everything all seems well. My export plays well on every device but when it comes to listening to it via the iPhones speakers the interview audio cuts out BUT funny enough the intro music plays just fine. Just as a background, I recorded the product demo with a DSLR via a Lavalier mic connected directly into the camera. When I brought that footage into FCPX, the audio came in as 2ch Stereo. Now that I created the multi-cam, not sure whether I should adjust the audio in the original clip/multi-cam clip or directly in the project that i cut. Someone mentioned adding a "Gain" effect, selecting "convert to mono" and chosing either phase left or right. That didnt' seem to work for me either. Sorry, in advance for the newbie question.

@Jeremy: Clever idea but checked all the devices, iphone, ipad and all have Mono off and Left/Right centered in the Prefs. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:49:14 pm

[Erick Puentes] "Clever idea but checked all the devices, iphone, ipad and all have Mono off and Left/Right centered in the Prefs. Thanks!"

I see, I thought this was localized to one iPhone.

Can you share a link to the problem video?

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:58:47 pm

@Jeremy: Yeah, I should've been more clear that it was an issue in general. Below is link to the video in question. If you listen to it via the iPhone speaker you'll have issues with the dialogue audio but plug in headphones and it sounds perfect.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:08:32 pm

[Erick Puentes] "Yeah, I should've been more clear that it was an issue in general. Below is link to the video in question. If you listen to it via the iPhone speaker you'll have issues with the dialogue audio but plug in headphones and it sounds perfect."

Yeah, that is odd. On my computer, it does seem that one channel is on the left side, and another is on the right. There might be a little phase cancellation or something happening, but I am not a very technical audio person; we all have faults. ;)

I would try turning off the right channel, pan your left channel to center, and reexport.

Can I see an screen grab of your timeline, a clip selected, the inspector open, and the audio tab selected?

Is it ironic that this video is about cables, audio and otherwise?

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:31:41 pm

No kidding, the "irony"! That's why it's killing me that I'm having these issues. No pain, no gain. LOL!

In any case, here is a screen grab.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:34:26 pm

Can you select the video part of the clip and not the audio component?

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:49:32 pm

Sure, here you go.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:00:28 pm

OK.

Sorry, bear with me.

Now, make that audio (NikonD5300) dual mono, and turn off the second channel and repost a grab.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:10:05 pm

np.. here you go.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:20:35 pm

I would go through and turn off "mono2" for every clip and try to reexport.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:13:44 am
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:14:22 am

Definitely a phase issue. I've had this happen to me when my headphones weren't making good contact. You can hear the music, because there are differences between the Left and Right speakers, but when dialogue is down the center they cancel each other out. The iPhone speaker undoubtedly combines the L & R channels so you'll get phase cancellation. I swear I can hear that it is out of phase just by listening to your sample on stereo speakers.

Now how your audio is getting out of phase is the question. This can happen with a damaged XLR cable. In your case, I think plugging a single 3 conductor lavaliere into a stereo mic jack can make the channels out of phase with each other. The solution is as Jeremy says, make the channels mono, disable one of them.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 8, 2014 at 9:38:04 am

Yep, I think this the exception that proves the rule.

Usually a signal doesn't get so perfectly out of phase that it comes close to summing to zero, but it can happen.

My studio is still down waiting for an air conditioning repair, so I'm editing in the main house on my laptop. Glad someone with good audio access could hear it.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:37:59 pm
Last Edited By Erick Puentes on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:39:12 pm

@Jeremy: Yup, that did the trick. Below is a link to the updated video that now works on iPhone via speakers.

Just curious, If I were to have changed the audio in the original footage before I created the multi-cam, would it have translated to the actual project or would I have to make that change everytime within the project?

@Brett: I have to figure out how to get the audio to record stereo. I am going directly in the DSLR but I might need to looking into a recorder like the Zoom H4N.

Thanks for ALL your help guys!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:49:36 pm

[Erick Puentes] "Just curious, If I were to have changed the audio in the original footage before I created the multi-cam, would it have translated to the actual project or would I have to make that change everytime within the project? "

After syncing, you would choose the channel configuration on the multiclip, and then start the editing process.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 9, 2014 at 11:57:25 am

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/252280-REG/Hosa_Technology_YMM_261_St...

This is what you need. It seperates your stereo input into 2 mono inputs. If your lav needs plug in power I'm not sure if it will still work or not. But worth a shot.

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:21:48 pm

@Brett: We are using a Audio-Technica AT899 Lavalier. Although it is an XLR, we are using an XLR to Stereo 3.5 adapter. I know we really should be going directly XLR to a recorder like the Zoom H4N but we need to justify it in terms of amount of videos produced. I'm sure that will come in time. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Jeremy: Thank you for the advice! I will be sure I make those changes in the next production.

You guys ROCK!

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jul 9, 2014 at 4:49:08 pm

[Erick Puentes] "Although it is an XLR, we are using an XLR to Stereo 3.5 adapter. "

There's your problem right there. XLRs have a positive phase (pin1) and a negative phase (pin3) and a ground(pin2). You're sending the positive phase to the left channel and a negative phase to the right channel. What you want is to have both tip and sleeve come from pin 1. Or just cut off the wire to pin 3 to get just a single channel

See this diagram
http://www.scotaudio.com/wiring.htm

Return to posts index

Erick Puentes
on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:42:03 pm

Makes sense but at the end of the day, I just just shut off one of the mono tracks in my clip. If I were ingesting tons of clips then that might be a better way to go but at that point I would just do it right and get myself a Zoom recorder or the like.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:03:33 pm

Congrats, you found the PERFECT way to record one channel EXACTLY out of phase with the other!

If you're editing in FCP X, the initial solution will solve everything.

Just switch to dual mono and disable one of the tracks.

Do this as EARLY in your workflow as possible. Ideally, in the Event Browser as the FIRST thing you do when you import your clips. That way, every time you bring a clip into a storyline, the audio will be configured correctly as single channel MONO across both stereo outputs and you will never have a problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]