FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fcp X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Castagna
Fcp X
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:18:53 pm

I just switched over to FCPX and I am having problem with the time line. I have 3 projects going with one just finished. If I change over to another project the time line doesn't change from the last project. If I click add to time line the new clips are added onto the end of the previous project. I am assuming I am making a simple mistake but have yet to figure it out. Any advise?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Fcp X
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:13:35 pm

Quite a few possibilities.

Can you take a screen shot of your primary storyline with your event browser revealed (top part of the event browser area) and also showing the timeline history (upper left in the primary window just below the event browser) that lets you toggle from where you are to where you've been?

That might help some of us guide you.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:27:20 pm

The screen shot shows me on the Europe 2014 project, but the time line is the one from Fireworks. Also the timeline starts at 21:21:00.03 I can't get past that time to zero

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:29:01 pm

screenshot2.png [x]
screenshot2014-07-07at4.20.53pm.png [x]

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:54:45 pm

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:26:25 pm

It looks like you're editing within a Compound Clip that is part of a Project called FireWorks 7-5-14.

Hold the Command key and press the left bracket and that will step out of the Compound Clip and back into your Project.

It's the same key combination you would use in a Web browser to go back and forward in the history of that tab.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:41:36 pm

Let me rephrase the question. How come when I click on one of my other projects in the library the time line doesn't change? In the screen shot I sent you the project I am click on is not the fireworks project, yet it's the fireworks project that is in the timeline

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:22:12 pm

Do you double-click the different Project?

Try quitting FCPX and launching with Command and Option keys held down and chose to delete your preferences.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 8, 2014 at 12:20:53 pm

Ok I tried that. Now my timeline is gone, all my edits, effects etc. All the folder (single star) are still there but what I did with the clips in the timeline is gone. Timeline now says "New Project"

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:40:11 pm

I thought you knew to expect that. With your Prefs trashed Final Cut no longer remembers what you had open since last time. Simply go File > Open then select Other. Then select Locate in the bottom left. Navigate to the Library you want to open. Sorry. I didn't know you hadn't learned the basics of opening an existing Library.

Once the Library is open then double-click on the Project you want to continue editing.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:28:34 pm

Don't worry if you already had an active library (timeline) it did not go a way because you created a new one. I thought since your picture showed an event highlighted that you thought that was the project (timeline) which it is not. I thought your were trying to start a new one not a second one that was already created.

Here's two pics that shows you the basic layout in FC

Inside your event will be all the projects (timelines) you created within that event.

If you don't see it, check inside your other events cause the project will be in the event that was selected when you created the project (timeline).

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Russell Castagna
on Jul 8, 2014 at 7:44:16 pm

OK now I get it. They were located in the top folder.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:25:59 am
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jul 8, 2014 at 2:02:19 am

There are three basic things you create to build your structure in FC. The master folder is the library. That's the one with the four stars. You can have as many libraries as you want. I find it less confusing to create a new library for each film, but it's up to you.

The next is an event which is the single star folders. You store your media and timelines in those.

The third is not really a folder because it is a single item that is stored in the top level in an event folder. That is your timeline. FC calls it a "project."

Go to file>new>project.

It will be stored in the current selected event.

Then double click on that and your new timeline will open.

If this was all stupid and you knew this already then trash permissions. If that doesn't work, reinstall FC.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]