FORUMS: list search recent posts

video numbering on 3 canon cameras

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
video numbering on 3 canon cameras
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:57:27 pm

Not sure if this should be posted on this forum but the answer is needed for FCPX.

I have 3 canon cameras.

Some of the file names/numbers, when I've made videos, are identical. So there is a danger of overwriting especially in Finder. I have to take care.

At the moment I make folders for each camera, and import as folders in keywords. However they still drop down on to the timeline as identical names.

This is made extremely confusing when multi caming.

Does anyone know of a quick way to rename files? or how do others solve this issue.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: video numbering on 3 canon cameras
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:11:15 pm

In the finder, as long as you are copying files to a different folder there is no conflict. In FC there are many ways to name them, tag them, keyword them, etc. Most cameras will stamp them with a date time reference so I'm not sure why you are getting identical names. Maybe hit your Canon manual and figure out a better way to have your clips named within the cam?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:21:27 pm

Thanks

I don't have a problem with 60d. It is the 2 compact cameras s100 and s110, which are more or less identical and I just use them in HD soundless. and multi cam. and do not work with EOS utilities.

I have managed to sort this out and canon support suggest getting one of them to be 500 numbers higher and continuous and the other daily autorest. There is no utility for renaming on these. So thanks.

FCPX does see them as different files even if the name is same, cos the date / time is different... So good for FCPX... the rest will be keywords folders etc... But in finder they all can easily get overwritten if I am not careful.

THAnks.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:29:30 pm

Again if you create a folder in the finder for each card copy you can name them something that will be helpful upon import and solve your overwrite issue. DOG POUND 6-6-14 B-roll.

Another thing you might consider for these cams is there are free batch renaming programs for OS X. That way after you copy the files to the folder you could actually batch rename all the files within it.

Glad FCP X date and time stamps them for you that is huge help.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:32:41 pm

there are free batch renaming programs for OS X.

great thats what I need.. ???? where do I find this... many small short films need separate file names if poss or spotlight gives me .....hundreds of MVI_001

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:36:10 pm

[anita sancha] "great thats what I need.. ???? where do I find this... "

It's built into your system by default. It's an app called "Automator". ;)

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:38:56 pm

oooooohhhh Automator :):):) never used it..... cor that should solve it all.

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:43:18 pm

Don't bother with automator unless you already know how to use it. You could be finished with the task before you know how built the automator script. Download a program called Name Changer (it's free). It can bulk change file names at the finder level, it's intuitive to use and you can see a preview of the changes as you do it. And it's damn near instantaneous.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:54:04 pm

[Andy Neil] "Don't bother with automator unless you already know how to use it."

Really?

Start it, choose "Application", add "Rename Finder Items" from "Files & Folders", select "Show this action when the workflow runs" from the options, and save... DONE. After that you simply drag any files you want to rename onto the app, wherever you saved it. Create a "Service" and you even have it under your right-click in the Finder. Don't think others offer that.

Not sure what's complicated about it.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:00:09 pm

And how long does it take to do that if you've never opened the app before? I'm sure you've played around with Automator and can do this sort of thing quickly, but not everybody has.

I didn't say it was complicated or difficult, once you know how to use Automator. I'm just saying that if all you want to do is rename Finder files, downloading a free app that's intuitive to use is less trouble that trying to figure out how automator works.

Andy

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:16:33 pm

What with Mark and Steves videos and "name changer" app ... which is so easy to use. its all solved

thanks guys. XXX

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:35:24 pm

In FCPX you can rename files with the click of a button. Set up a custom name that helps you distinguish between the two (ie: CAM 01, CAM 02) and then when you import from one cam you apply the custom name CAM 01 to those clips and CAM 02 to the clips you import from the other camera. Then you won't have to deal with identical clip names inside FCPX.

Andy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:32:13 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:33:36 pm

[anita sancha] "Some of the file names/numbers, when I've made videos, are identical. So there is a danger of overwriting especially in Finder. I have to take care. "

If you are using FCP to ingest (which obviously you should be) then there is absolutely no danger of that happening.

[anita sancha] "Does anyone know of a quick way to rename files? or how do others solve this issue."

Once inside FCP you can easily and quickly (batch) rename clips via the Modify menu by means of a very powerful "Token" principle that you can freely define yourself (if needed).

I find this whole renaming thing is rather ironic actually, since FCP only now with version 10.1.2 retains the actual clip names from the camera, as opposed to renaming them with a time and day stamp as it did previously, which - again, ironically - was originally done for this exact reason. But lots were apparently miffed over the whole concept (no idea why), to the point that they now have chosen to take this route.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:37:24 pm

Once inside FCP you can easily and quickly rename clips via the Modify menu by means of a very powerful "Token" principle that you can freely define yourself (if needed).

Is there any way this can be done in BULK!! I just tried renaming the camera on each table entry and it has to be done one at a time..... 50 clips on same camera takes time! i.e. In spreadsheets a table entry can be copied down the whole vertical line.... but then I am asking a lot of FCPX... LOL

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:39:47 pm

[anita sancha] "Is there any way this can be done in BULK!!"

Was that a statement or question?

Any amount of clips you select are affected by your chosen renaming convention, yes, of course.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:43:24 pm

Mind you that clip is rather old, so a few things have changed. But the gist of the matter remains.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:45:10 pm

Thanks Robin......GOD i love those guys,.... my heroes.... XXXX

Thats what I need .... I watch loads of this series, but didn't see that one.

Yipppppeeeee. !!!

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:07:18 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I find this whole renaming thing is rather ironic actually, since FCP only now with version 10.1.2 retains the actual clip names from the camera, as opposed to renaming them with a time and day stamp as it did previously, which - again, ironically - was originally done for this exact reason. But lots were apparently miffed over the whole concept (no idea why), to the point that they now have chosen to take this route.
"

My suspicion is now that X is making it's way into ever higher dollar workflows like on movie and TV sets where there are dedicated data wranglers who set Camera Metadata with intent - it simply makes sense to honor whatever arrives downstream from the camera naming system.

Unfortunately, for those with rigs closer to consumer level - who seldom bother to (or can't!) create custom naming in the field - you just get stuck with the silly MOV_0001 stuff that drives everyone nuts.

Metadata (including file names) is a new world today. Train yourself to control it or accept being constantly frustrated as the flood of digital files in your life increase.

My 2 cents.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:29:39 pm

We'll..

the name changer app mentioned sorts all my issue out and also knowing that the spreadsheet can be adapted by all the mentioned systems as in the video listed above, though an old tutorial.... it seems not to have changed in later FCPX updates.

Thanks all. All sorted !!!

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:14:11 pm

You nailed it Bill. Didn't know they changed that with 10.1.2 since I am now sitting on my first two cards that need importing since the update. Just thought that if you are careful with a card copy in the finder (or yes you can have FC create a camera card archive), FC takes care of the rest with a time date stamp, which is part of the metadata generated by the camera. You can definitely set custom names for your clips with our cams but since until now (further irony?) the card copies were not read by FC until it was rewrapped. So until FC renamed them with time and date, I couldn't really see the clips. Now, however, FC can read P2 clips natively with no rewrapping. And yeah, if I open the import window, I can see the original names along with the rest of the cam-generated metadata. No question anyone who complained about FC auto renaming did so because they made the effort to set up names on their clips in cam. The original names are pretty useless if not custom set.

My take on why people would want to name the clips on the cards themselves instead of just allowing FC to do it, since it’s way easier on a computer than with a camera, is that they want to keep archive copies of these card clips just as they are, so that they can use them in any program going forward. And they want that naming to be consistent in all copies of that media. Or maybe on sets where they shoot on a lot of cards they need to do this for organizational puposes. Maybe they even use third party programs to initially log in these cards. Panasonic has one. CAT DV does this. If you already had it logged and named, it would be double work to have to do it again in FC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]