FORUMS: list search recent posts

reveal in timeline from browser

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
reveal in timeline from browser
on Jul 5, 2014 at 5:01:32 pm

any way to reveal a clip in timeline - one or more uses? from browser?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: reveal in timeline from browser
on Jul 5, 2014 at 5:54:40 pm

I'm not sure I know what that means. But you can of course use the Timeline Index to find/filter clips. And if you see a orange "Used" bar underneath a clip in the event, then that means it's being used in the active project/timeline.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 5, 2014 at 8:17:06 pm

Right click a clip in Browser and you can reveal in finder. Right click a clip in timeline and u can reveal in browser. Would like to reveal in timeline from browser.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:14:44 pm

[Craig Alan] "Would like to reveal in timeline from browser."

Agreed it would be a nice function! Heading off to the FCP X feedback link.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:27:43 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:32:36 pm

[Craig Alan] "Would like to reveal in timeline from browser."

Which timeline? You DO know that you can easily have a clip in the browser that's been placed in 100 timelines?

Plus, now a network can have 10 users that might all be referencing the same clip. Should X open ALL those instances.

Do you want it to reveal itself in ALL of them? Are you willing to wait while it loads them all into memory?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:33:55 pm

active and or open timelines. I wouldn't mind a pop up that allowed me to select others.

If I "reveal in finder" and a back up was on an unmounted drive, I do not think FC would reveal it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 6, 2014 at 9:35:28 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 6, 2014 at 10:07:02 am

[Craig Alan] "Would like to reveal in timeline"

Again, that's what the Timeline Index is for. Maybe not as one-click, but then you don't have to look for the clip in the event first either.

[Bill Davis] "Which timeline? You DO know that you can easily have a clip in the browser that's been placed in 100 timelines?"

A clip is only marked as used in the context of the current active timeline, Bill, so yes, common sense tells me it would of course only be for that timeline. And it works without showing in 100 different places in other NLEs also.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 7, 2014 at 3:25:43 pm

Certainly the index can be used that way, but reverse match frame is a standard concept. You're browsing for broll. It shows it's been used. So it should be a simple keystroke to show where. Not a search in the timeline index. That's over complicating things.

I wish they'd bring back other things like dupe detection. Another 15 year old standard concept.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:04:50 pm

Yeah, some missing features are just missing. I really like the way X reveals in browser in that you not only see the clip but a filmstrip with the used portion highlighted. Now do the equivalent in reverse so i can quickly decide whether my current need for that same clip would be better, does more harm than good, or can be used in both locations.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 6, 2014 at 1:28:10 am

Well, the "used" tag will be there if it's in any of your open timelines, then you could search that TL for the clip name.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jul 6, 2014 at 2:06:13 am

I believe you're referring to a "reverse matchframe". All the other majors have it. I think common sense dictates that it would function in the active project especially since only one can be open at a time anyway.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:28:36 am

True and all I was really asking about.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:29:05 am

David Powell on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:06:13 am
I believe you're referring to a "reverse matchframe". All the other majors have it. I think common sense dictates that it would function in the active project especially since only one can be open at a time anyway.

I think the same. It should be easy to check whether a selected clip or region is used in the current project. It makes sense as well - especially when there are copyright issues. In latter case you could use the XML but a right-click or similar would be easier.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:47:14 am

<<Would like to reveal in timeline from browser.>>

Click on triangle of a clip under Video Usage or Audio usage.
A dropdown menu will navigata to the clip on the timeline.

You can also do this from the little Preview Area of the Project Window.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:52:58 am

[Ann Bens] "Click on triangle of a clip under Video Usage or Audio usage."

One can only assume you're not in fact talking about FCP X, since I for one know of no such triangle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]