FORUMS: list search recent posts

selecting entire "tracks"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
selecting entire "tracks"
on Jul 5, 2014 at 4:53:15 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jul 5, 2014 at 4:57:06 pm

I am working on a sound track of a multi cam shoot. I need to select an entire track (layer or whatever these are called in X). What are these called?

Is there a simple way of doing this (having trouble lassoing the entire length of the timeline)?

I'd also like to do a global color match on my finished visual clips. What's the best workflow for this?

If I have different layers of audio in expanded audio view, is there way each layer could be its own role so I can toggle it on and off?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: selecting entire "tracks"
on Jul 5, 2014 at 5:23:59 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 5, 2014 at 5:26:17 pm

They aren't called anything because they're an abstract in X. You can call them lanes or tracks if you like, but they don't actually exist. So it's up to you.

Instead of tracks X organizes assets in terms of Roles. Anything in any position can have any Role. When you use the Timeline Index to target a Role, ALL the clips that have that role property are highlighted in your story lines regardless of what "fake track like level" those clips reside on.

If you want to get really fluent at X, you have to get your brain out of seeing things in terms of horizontal "stripes" and start to see them in terms of the metadata relationships applied to them (which is what Roles are)

It's not only more flexible in practical use, but it pays huge dividends both now and (I suspect) in the future, since traditional "tracks" can only communicate useful data to the the world outside of the NLE if you make sure that EVERYTHING in the track is in the exact same category.

In X, you can use any category for anything in any position.

Embrace it and it will free your thinking about timeline element positioning.

Force it and yourself to conceptualize exclusively in STRIPES and you're buying comfort at the expense of flexibility, IMO.

If you're bound and determined to select a "track" then I guess you can create a role called "Track One" and apply that to only the clips on that level. But the conceit will fall apart the moment that one of the so called clips skips down a level to make room for another element that has been pushed towards it.

So it's a generally bad idea.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 5, 2014 at 6:36:54 pm

Bill,

Seriously?

I'm asking if there is a fast way to select an entire layer.

I'm asking how to assign a channel of audio a role.

If I import a days shoot from a b-roll camera, I can import it with the keyword "3-14-14 b-roll". The fact that I integrate those clips with a-roll clips from a different date doesn't mean I can't sort them by 3-14-14 b-roll. I assure you there is nothing about X being a database program that stops the ability to select a layer or track in the timeline. In fact, FC does not let you just drag your clips anywhere in the timeline window. They must be in or or connected to the primary and must be on a layer. In other words there are still tracks. Different rules for those tracks than in legacy but tracks just the same.

FCP X uses a linear timeline and the top layer dominates just like it does in every other NLE.

Channels of audio are not any different in FCP X than they are in any other program.

I need to select one. That is what I'm asking.

Right now if I want to select an entire layer I need to command shift and then apply the lasso. Then I loose my degree of zoom and my playhead position and its additional mousing which I would like to avoid if possible.

Period.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 5, 2014 at 7:46:55 pm

They ARE tracks in the case of multicam actually. You simply need to open the multicam with a double-click and anything you apply to any one angle is applied to every instance of that angle in the edit. Including audio/roles. They are recursive.

[Craig Alan] "Right now if I want to select an entire layer"

What is "a layer"??

Since I don't actually know for what purpose you are trying to select an angle (if that's what it is), that's the best I can offer. Then there is always the Timeline Index Window that you can use to filter/select anything in the timeline quickly and easily.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:21:39 pm

[Craig Alan] "I'm asking if there is a fast way to select an entire layer.
"

No. Because the fact that a bunch of clips is on an arbitrary and totally temporary "layer" in your storyline layout is inconsequential and NOT recognized by X.

Again, X is a "trackless" construction. It has no fixed "lanes" outside the primary storyline. All the relationship creating is done via keywords and Roles. If you can't get this, you will needlessly fight X for the rest of your time with it.

As Robin points out, in the Multicam construct - since the entire point is to establish a relationship between possibly discontinuous content that beings to a single family - (the ANGLE family) - then there's sense in having something that behaves like tracks. This is necessary because ALL multicam work MUST by definition HAVE angles. You might imagine that they should build "AUDIO TRACKS" in a similar fashion. But stop and think about that. X, unlike most NLEs does not REQUIRE it's audio to be in separate lanes. That's because the default X clips combine audio and video in sync. So X clips can maintain EMBEDDED audio to the advantage of the editor (no loss of sync possible) That means you can work in an X storyline where there IS audio, but absolutely NO distinct audio tracks visible at all. A great example might be music video where the original performance track can be embedded and the only thing the editor has to think about is Video - which can be placed above and below the Primary to suite sophisticated compositing needs.

See, the function that tracks have in a old school timeline is taken over by Roles in X and is MUCH more powerful and flexible since it allows the magnetic timeline to do what it needs to do without ever being concerned that the avoidance of a clip collision (or a dozen of them) will EVER screw up the editors expectation of what they THOUGHT was a track. Release thinking about "tracks" - they're obsolete in the sense of X. Roles are the more flexible and more powerful replacement.

----

I'm asking how to assign a channel of audio a role.

The smart way is to let X auto assign the role when you initially import your assets. X already makes good guesses in that it auto assigns roles to what is obviously Music and Dialog, Titles, etc. You can make that MUCH more precise and useful if you learn to pre-categorize your assets prior to import. There are a bunch of YouTube clips on how to do that. Your workflow will depend on how consistent you are with your import processes. Of course, you can go back and batch re-ID things at will. If you've failed to do that and need to refine the metadata inside X, you can apply or re-apply (and create or re-create) roles metadata in the Timeline Index or in the Browser via the Roles popup in the Info Tabs.

One point I should bring up, is that it seems to me that most of the issues you're facing are typical ones for someone coming to X from a tradition of other NLE operation. And that's that you're conditioned to do all your important editing work AFTER you bring your clips onto "the timeline." - Let me suggest that this is faulty thinking in X. The smarter way to approach X is to spend as much time as possible in what comes BEFORE you work in the storyline. Focus HARD on Import, the Event Browser, and Tagging, and pre-trimming and pre-working your assets BEFORE you even create a project and your first storyline. And Roles assignment should happen HERE - prior to any storyline work. That's how the X workflow is designed. If you're assigning all your Roles in a storyline - you're working too late in the flow for maximum efficiency.

Roles are flexible, agile, and in a word, great. But you have to explore them and learn why.

____

FCP X uses a linear timeline and the top layer dominates just like it does in every other NLE.

To a point. You've probably noticed that unlike the traditional "linear timeline" you can now "stack" video above audio and audio above video. Again, the whole "fixed tracks - audio down here video up there" thing is NOT required by X. Plus if you put a long clip at a level currently occupied by one or more other elements, those other elements will MOVE up or down to avoid destructive clip collisions. Essentially, X IGNORES tracks in a way not like any other popular NLE. So what's the point of following the rigid notion of a "Track" if a thing you put on "track 8" might end up on 7, or 9, or 11 - without consequence to the editor? It's it MUCH smarter to just start understanding that the element ITSELF has been assigned the Role of Dialog - and because of that can be located, grouped or isolated at the whim of the editor based on that NOT TRACK BASED tag?

BOTTOM LINE.

You do not yet have enough time and experience with X to have fully stopped thinking like a traditional editor yet. There is nothing wrong with this. And every single editor coming from traditional NLEs to X has to make this primary journey at their own rate.

All I can tell you is the faster you stop thinking in "tracks" the more rapidly you will find the power of the trackless modes that are built into X.

This must be the hundredth time I've typed this into this forum - and I suspect I will type it a hundred more time in the coming years.

The WORST way to learn X is to try to figure out how it does the things you USED to do in earlier NLEs.

Learn what it IS. NOT how it doest the things you used to do before you had the new tool.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 5, 2014 at 10:40:43 pm

[Bill Davis] "No. Because the fact that a bunch of clips is on an arbitrary and totally temporary "layer" in your storyline layout is inconsequential and NOT recognized by X. "

Yes it is. If I apply the keyed effect on a clip in a timeline. What b.g. will it include in the key? If I connect a clip on a layer above the primary and play the sequence what will show up in the viewer when I reach that clip? If I move the clip under the primary instead, what will play?

I can also do what I am asking in terms of selecting what I am calling a track or layer by shift-z and then lasso. But it would be nice to have a way to do this more easily.

Yes I need to get better at assigning tags, keywords, roles upon import and before I start my edit. That said I think X is designed to modify and augment these at any point in the work flow. The index is attached to the timeline not the browser. Color correction is done with clips in the timeline. Audio mixing is done in the timeline.

I am not at this point trying to get X to behave like legacy. I am just trying to learn how to apply what I want to accomplish in X. I had created a multicam timeline of a three camera shoot of a music act. I was using it to further my skills in X. I chose camera A as my sole audio and used the angle editor to select clips on the fly. It was a blast. Had fun. But then I started working with it. I used the transform tool to fix framing. I applied a key and selected a b.g. It was a very good learning project because there was a lot wrong with the shoot. Somewhere along the way the A cam audio got changed into a mix of all three cams. So I wanted to select entire tracks and enable or disable the selected channels and or 2 of the 4 mono channels of the A channel.

Now I did learn along the way, and you pointed this out above, that the easiest way to do this (but perhaps not other adjustments if I was using a mix of all these channels) is to collapse the audio, select the entire timeline and select the two mono channels (A CAM) that I want active.

I think these started to get messed up when I reedited certain angles for others. Is there a way to reset the A audio as the default after I have already begun the multicam editing? And just for the record, I like multicam in X better than legacy. And although I understood legacy audio tracks better, I fell victim to screwing up sync more times than I care to admit. Even though I passed the certification exam in FCP 6 on my first try, I considered myself just becoming an advanced beginner when I switched to FCP X. And I feel I am getting there now in X.

Next now that I have settled on a b.g. and gotten all the keys to work and masked out parts of the shots I don''t want, I want to match all the clips to a clip that has the color that I would like.

Is there a way to do this - all the clips in the timeline matched to a single clip in the timeline?

Frankly, Bill there is no moment of enlightenment for me to realize that X is a database program or it works differently than 7. I edit and try to get the look and sound I want. If I get stuck, I do a search. If that doesn't work, I ask here.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 5, 2014 at 10:58:02 pm

[Craig Alan] "Frankly, Bill there is no moment of enlightenment for me to realize that X is a database program or it works differently than 7. I edit and try to get the look and sound I want. If I get stuck, I do a search. If that doesn't work, I ask here."

Then I'm delighted you're beyond that stage and still exploring and learning. THAT, to me is the real excitement of being an FCP X editor. It's not that I "know it all" or have anything but appreciation for anyone trying to use the tool to get a specific job done. I have all sorts of appreciation for the learning curve we're all going through. And if I sounded harsh, it's probably because over the past 3 years I've tried to help lots and lots of beginners and I'm wary of the trap of those who DO try to shoehorn X operations into Legacy thinking. I'm glad that's not you. You'll get better faster for the openness.

All I can say is that I've been using X since literally day 1. I'm formally Apple FCP X certified in Level 1 and Level 2 and I'm set to take the Professional Post certification exam next Friday. But with all that, there are still plenty of corners of the software with which I'm less than expertly familiar. I have to look up stuff quite a bit - particularly in techniques where my type of editing doesn't drive my use of this or that function every day.

Plus, the program keeps evolving. It's been less than 2 weeks since they altered parts of the fundamental structure of how the Library operates. So no matter how much we already know, we're ALL still learning.

I find that the single most exciting part about the software.

For other's the evolution can't happen fast enough.

It sounds like you're coming along just fine. But you will likely still find frustrations as with your feelings about the "trackiness" of the program. It's something I don't even think about any more. But that's me.

Different strokes and all...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 6, 2014 at 9:40:04 am

[Craig Alan] "I can also do what I am asking in terms of selecting what I am calling a track or layer by shift-z and then lasso. But it would be nice to have a way to do this more easily."

Again, for what purpose? Moving? Deleting? There are easier alternatives for either and then you can always simply shift-click in the Timeline Index, which is even easier and faster than Shift-Z and marqueeing.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2014 at 3:37:32 pm

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do too, but it sounds like you may need to use the timeline index, as mentioned.

You can also assign Roles to individual audio components, but that can only be done in the timeline, and not cannot be done in the browser. You need to "expand audio components" to do this, select a component, and adjust it in the inspector.

If you need to reset your audio channel config, you will need to use the timeline index to select the proper clips. You can do this by searching for Role or name, or angle, then select those clips in index (which in turn selects then in the timeline), open the inspector, and make your adjustment.

Hope it helps.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 6, 2014 at 3:56:23 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "but that can only be done in the timeline, and not cannot be done in the browser. "

Erm... actually it can. ;)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 6, 2014 at 6:28:16 pm

You can assign audio roles in the browser, of course, but you can't assign an individual role to an individual audio component in the browser. You can even select an audio component in the browser to do so.

Here's what I mean:

This is a clip selected in the browser, (it's offline as I am not at the office). You can see that there's 8 channels of audio. I can browse, name, and assign channel config in the browser, but I cannot assign 8 individual Roles to the 8 channels of audio:

If I click on the info tab to assign Roles, I only get the generic audio role:

Now adding that clip to a Project and expensing audio components allows me to assign a Role to each component.

Here's the whole clip autoselcted by playhead:

Here's multiple Channels selected (please note inspector):

Here's one component selected:

If you can show me how to do this in the inspector without hitting a timeline (or opening each clip in timeline) I'm all ears as it would be new capability in 10.1.2 that hasn't been talked about.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:16:51 am

Hi Jeremy,

I think we are barking up the same tree.

I got this far.

But did not really create a role that would apply to a given channel of audio. It only applied to the selected instances of that channel when I named them channel A, for example. But if I edited a new clip into the timeline, its channel A would not be recognized as part of Channel A role. Not that I expected it to, but that is my need - to have a role for a channel of audio.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 1:50:58 am

[Craig Alan] "Not that I expected it to, but that is my need - to have a role for a channel of audio."

You have to expand audio components (I forget the default command, but I have it mapped to shift-e), and then you can assign Roles to channels, and it must be done from a timeline.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:32:08 am

That's what I tried to do. I expanded audio on the entire timeline. I selected all the A channel clips. I typed channel A in the info tab in the inspector on the Roles:_________. Doesn't seem to have accomplished anything so I guess I did it wrong.

If I select Roles in the index, if I uncheck music it unchecks channel A and vice versa.

I'm going back to square one and read/watch some tutorials on creating roles. Cause I'm not getting it. And my asking here has only created a bunch of discussion that most likely belongs in the X or not forum.

This is not going a way for me. I like to record on the four channels using our P2 cams cause it gives us a reference track in case something goes wrong with the cordless connections or to use for sync on our B and C cams. But once we are editing, I, for the most part, want to mute all channels except channels a1 and a2, either a stereo pair or one pair of dual mono. Doing this clip by clip is tedious.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jul 7, 2014 at 7:29:02 am

Craig,

I understand what you mean. And I feel affected by this issue as but for another reason.

I do like the trackless way of working. I do like roles – I even love them. But for me and my customers there are some disadvantages.

If you assign a title to a clip it by default has a role: "Title" . But it could be a special "Title", for example "Spanish Sub". Therefore every time you want to insert one blank title you have to assign a role or copy one which has this role. Both ways waste time.
Now if you assign a dissolve to this (these) titles they will be in a new storyline - still keeping their roles.
To copy all these "Spanish Sub" titles to a new "Spanish Sub Project" you can go to the timeline index select Clip-Titles and filter by "Spanish Sub" role. Then copy and paste into the new project/sequence.

The result is that all your dissolves are lost - dissolves don't have a role. The only workaround is to go thru the whole timeline and select each single clip to extend the selection. This is a tedious, time consuming action, which in this case will eat up a lot of the time you saved earlier.
In this case using tracks would have been 3 clicks and second to finish compared to trackless with a few hundred clicks and many minutes.

So there is still a lot of room for development.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:49:56 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:54:23 am

Ah, you were talking specifically about multi-channel audio. I thought in general.

But yes, you could simply open the clip in the timeline and assign the roles individually there. But that's not necessarily very practical, so there's definitely room for improvement.

But I personally prefer to rename the entire track (audio component) as opposed to using roles, which I can then see in the timeline (without having to switch). Something I can do in the event and also in batch (assuming they have the same audio).

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
Re: selecting entire "tracks" and have some fun!
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:31:33 pm

So using shift-z (and scaling down the zoom) using the timeline index and selecting some clips you can build amazing city shapes and skyscraper shapes.
I uploaded one here with all lights switched off (I was a bit fast on doing the screen shots so it's only about to 2k height).
The contest is to create the highest skyscraper with at least 30 cells on the base (mine is 2048 px at the moment). Underwater (audio) doesn't count yet, but we could extend the challenge.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63959366/skyScraper.png

Have fun
Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: selecting entire "tracks" and have some fun!
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:06:06 pm

Ha! Good one Andreas.

What's weird to me is that when you do select the generic "Title" role, the clip is automatically collapsed in to the very thin view. I wish this was selectable so that if you assign a custom title role, it would collapse just the same.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:24:36 pm

Could you please break that down a little for me. How do I rename an audio component and what's the advantage over the current name of Channel A a1 a2? I clearly don't get roles and need to work on that. But I still want to solve this problem in whatever manner is best within FC. What I am experiencing as I edit this piece (a multicam shoot of a performance) is that every time I switch a shot from one angle to another, I have to check in the inspector to see that the proper channels are selected - every new edit they are not. I want all edits to just be channel A a1 and a2. The first time I did this was tedious enough as is using the down arrow key to go to every clip and uncheck 4 boxes in the inspector for every clip. There has to be a better way.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:33:11 pm

Hi, Craig. I don't think you need Roles for this.

In the mulitcam angle editor, you can select which channels of audio you'd like to see, all at once.

One great feature of X is selecting a bunch of similar clips, name, select, and assign channels in one big batch. You can also turn channels on and off, and it will apply those settings to all clips.

For mulitcam, You can also designate an audio track to use, and never switch the audio, and just switch the video. This is great is you have a "master" audio track that was sent to each/all camera, or a separate audio record.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:43:12 pm

When I started the edit, I selected cam a exclusively for the audio. On first pass this worked but somewhere along the line this stopped working and now each edit the clip audio has to be selected again. Also even though cam A was set as the audio for all clips, I did not see the option to choose which channels coming from cam a would be used. Where do I look for this?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 4:49:05 pm

In the viewer, you can choose to see all the angles, you have that turned on so you can see the angles during playback, correct?

At the top, there's a few icons, one is audio and video, one is video only, one is audio only.

Select the second one, which allows video only switching.

In the Angle editor (double click the multi clip), choose which angle you'd like to be the master audio, then select the little speaker icon so that is the "monitoring angle". The speaker should be blue in color.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:09:05 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

That's what i did when I started. Just repeat these steps to get back on track? But even this leaves cam A a3 and a4 on which don't want. Each cam records to 4 channels.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:18:43 pm

When you select the monitoring angle in the angle editor, simply turn off channel 3 and 4.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:25:56 pm

Thanks Jeremy,

Just tested this. In the angle editor FC has made three long clips out of A B and C cams, on tracks, and synced. I can highlight one and choose which channels are on or off in the inspector. I do this for all three. On A cam I engage a1 and a2 and turn off a3 and a4. On the others I mute all audio. I go back to my timeline with the angle viewer open. If I switch an A cam clip for a B cam clip all four channels show up edited into the clip. Now when I first set up the multicam clip, I selected the A cam to be A/V and the others to be just Video. But I guess that no longer applies. I need to select the Video icon in the angle viewer before applying the edit or else FC keeps changing the audio channels from the ones I selected even though I just selected these in the angle editor.

That said if what you said would work it should have edited a B angle clip with no audio since in the angle editor I muted the audio track. In any case I get what was wrong. The icons in the multicam viewer got changed.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:29:17 pm

Cool.

You can easily select the clips in the timeline and reconfigure the audio channels as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:04:36 pm

Yes. That I got from the get go. Though I was having trouble doing this as an entire track in the timeline. Not always but sometimes if i highlighted two clips never mind the entire multicam track, the inspector would not allow changes made to the channel selection. Thus I had to do this one clip at a time.

But I was confused why I needed to keep checking what audio was being used in each clip of the multicam.

I just ran another test. Opened the angle editor and muted the a1 and b1 that I want active. Went back to storyline. It's muted. Made a change in storyline. Change was made in angle editor. So they are supposed to mirror each other. Like you said.

But when I edit from the angle viewer, if I choose audio or A/V for one of the angles that has audio muted in the storyline and the angle editor, then all four active channels of that angle are edited into the timeline.

Bug?

A seems to honor the a3 and a4 being muted. Though I know earlier that kept changing too.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:25:35 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:27:04 pm

[Craig Alan] "Yes. That I got from the get go. Though I was having trouble doing this as an entire track in the timeline. Not always but sometimes if i highlighted two clips never mind the entire multicam track, the inspector would not allow changes made to the channel selection. Thus I had to do this one clip at a time. "

You have to select the clips, and you can't select *mismatched clips. This is where selecting with the timeline index is very handy. Open the index, click "Clips" and down towards the bottom click the "Video" tab. Then select all the multicam clips.

[Craig Alan] "Bug?"

I don't think it's a bug as you do need a little bit of separation so that you can make changes if need be. Changes don't ripple all of the time, and it mostly ripples from the browser to the timeline, and not vice versa. Also, if you make changes in the browser, the next time you add the multiclip to the timeline, it will reflect those changes. I try and make audio channel selections before I start editing as much as possible, but I am usually able to instruct the audio tech before recording on where to send the signals so that when the footage comes back to me, I have what I need.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:48:15 pm

So the angle viewer is a representation of the browser not the timeline?
Yet the A angle is honoring the selection in the timeline (that is only a1 and a2 are active including new edits). This should be consistent, no?

Now If I select channels in the browser, and Cam B and C are muted, will the multicam auto syncing still take place?

All this aside: Thanks for your help. Have a much firmer grip on this entire workflow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:00:26 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:05:47 pm

*edited for clarity

[Craig Alan] "So the angle viewer is a representation of the browser not the timeline? "

You can see the angles in either the Event Viewer (which is a representation of the clip in the Event) or the Viewer (which is representation of the clip in the timeline).

The angle viewer will ripple some changes to all clips everywhere, FCPX gives a pop up warning when this about to happen.

[Craig Alan] "Now If I select channels in the browser, and Cam B and C are muted, will the multicam auto syncing still take place?"

As far as I know, FCPX will still use audio to sync, regardless of audio channel config, but it's worth a test. I almost always have matching tc, so audio syncing is less important to me unless something is not syncing due to flagrant tc.

I usually sync everything, then make audio channel assignments, set the monitoring angle of audio, choose to switch video only, and begin editing.

If audio needs to change, I can add another instance of the multi clip to the timeline, and reconfigure the audio on the timeline on the separate instance, or I add the audio from the regular clip and not the multi clip. It depends on what's needed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:19:13 pm

Thanks. Got it. I thought the angle viewer was a version of the viewer since it plays along with the timeline. But since you edit from it, it makes sense that it is what is in the event (which I was calling browser).

One more quick question. Should I create the multicam clip, select it in the browser, before starting to edit, and select the channels? Or select each of the clips I'm using in the browser, select the channels, and then create the multicam clip? Either way I can always override these choices in the inspector for a given clip in the timeline?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 7, 2014 at 10:23:07 pm

[Craig Alan] "Should I create the multicam clip, select it in the browser, before starting to edit, and select the channels?"

That's what I personally like to do as it usually fits my workflow best.

[Craig Alan] "Or select each of the clips I'm using in the browser, select the channels, and then create the multicam clip?"

This is pretty redundant as you can do this after you make the multiclip.

[Craig Alan] "Either way I can always override these choices in the inspector for a given clip in the timeline?"

Correct, sir.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:52:29 pm

Got it. Thanks much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]