FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you have too many projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Schatsiek
Can you have too many projects?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 7:13:12 pm

I've been having increasingly more problems with FCPX over the last few weeks and it's finally gotten to the point where I'm getting error messages when I even open the program -- "The operation couldn't be completed. Invalid argument" (I click OK and it lets me open the program still); try to create a new project -- "Save operation could not be completed" where it doesn't let me create new projects at all, etc.

Now it's taking like 25-30 minutes to open a fairly simple 5 minute project and I have no idea what's going wrong.

I guess I wanted to ask kind of a stupid question in that for people who create a lot of FCPX projects, do you keep those projects even though you know you'll probably never go back to them again once you've finished and exported the final product? Is there a reason to think all of my projects are just bogging the program down? I'm really at a loss here.

Brandon Schatsiek
PR Coordinator
Special Olympics Missouri

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Can you have too many projects?
on Jul 2, 2014 at 8:35:32 pm

Projects or libraries? I assume that you could bog down a library with too many projects. But I think most people just do one project (or "job" for lack of better term) per library. Of course you might have a number of versions of that project in the library. But I wouldn't advise using a single library for all your jobs. A library is a container to hold related materials. Perhaps a library for each client. Or every month, or each sport, or whatever works for you. But I would not recommend putting all your projects in the same library.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 8, 2014 at 11:53:46 am

[Bret Williams] "Projects or libraries? I assume that you could bog down a library with too many projects. But I think most people just do one project (or "job" for lack of better term) per library."

I mean I have probably 35 events in my event library, but definitely have more than 150-200 actual projects in total between all of the events.

Still think too many projects could be my problem? I just don't know what it could possibly be and it's getting to the point where I can't even create new projects or if I can somehow use old projects it's ridiculously slow and often just gives me the pinwheel of death.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:05:21 pm

If any drive that FC needs to read and/or write to is over 80% full, you have a problem.

I would have an archive drive that holds copies of projects you are not actively working on. Then I would have a media drive with your active projects. The new FC 10.1.2 allows you to store media anywhere you choose. This is great cause you can keep your libraries very small.

You can learn how to organize after you clean up your system. You can always relink media to your active project by pointing FC to where you stored your stuff. And with version 10.1.2 you can move stuff around from inside FC.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:05:58 pm

Seems as if updating to the newest version has helped... at least for now. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I know that if it acts up again, I'll try everything else you all suggested. I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jul 3, 2014 at 12:57:47 pm

I see you are in Missouri, I am also.

I have not had a problem with having too many projects. I currently have a library with 25 projects open and almost 60 events.

The projects average 10 min in length and everything seems to be working (no crashes)

I'm actually surprised I have not had more problems working this way.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 4, 2014 at 6:55:46 am

Did you follow the advice we discussed below? All of this data is on what drive? Are you putting everything on an external raid or on your system drive? What you should be doing on a project that is not active is back it up on a different drive and clearing the space on your media drive. If your media drive becomes more than about 75% full you are going to have problems.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 8, 2014 at 11:59:49 am

[Craig Alan] "All of this data is on what drive? Are you putting everything on an external raid or on your system drive?"

I have three different external HDs that I'm using... one is simply for my exported videos and has no actual projects on it. Another one has past projects and render files and is completely full so I only use it to pull graphics and music files from it. Then there's the 4TB Fantom Drive that I'm currently using for all of my most recent projects (last 6 months or so) and it's about half full right now.

This probably isn't an ideal set-up, but I'm not very computer savvy and it worked up until now so I thought I'd stay with it until it didn't; that time is now obviously.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]