FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't create a new project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Schatsiek
Can't create a new project
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:21:39 pm

Having issues with FCPX and not being able to create a new project. Every time I try to do so, the dialogue box opens up where I can give it a name and choose the settings, but when I click 'OK' to save the project I get the following error message "Save operation could not be completed."

I've tried a program reboot and computer reboot several times and each time I get this message.

Is it a disk space issue? I'm saving all of my projects to a 4TB external and it has 2TB of free space, so I didn't think that was it.

Any kind of assistance would be greatly appreciated as I need to work on a lot of new projects coming up.

Thanks!
Brandon Schatsiek
PR Coordinator
Special Olympics Missouri

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Can't create a new project
on Jul 1, 2014 at 7:15:11 pm

Version 10.1.2?

You are putting the project in an event in a library ... right?

You have updated the library to the new version?

Make sure your import location setting has room.

If so, I'd trash FC preferences.

And if that doesn't work, close FC, trash the FC preference files and redownload the app from the app store.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:34:42 am

[Craig Alan] "You are putting the project in an event in a library ... right?"

Erm... where else? :-D

[Craig Alan] "You have updated the library to the new version?"

Erm... how else could it be open? ;-)

It sounds to me like it could be a permissions issue. Try checking/repairing them with Disk Utility. Otherwise I'd say trashing the app and reloading it from the MAS is your best bet, too.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:25:17 pm

I'm not the most tech savvy person, how would I go about checking them using Disk Utility as you suggest?

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 2, 2014 at 6:23:54 pm

Version 10.0.2

I mean I would assume that's what I'm doing because that's how it's worked for my other 100+ projects I've created.

I tried starting a new project under a new event that was on a different external HD and then also on the Mac's HD and still got the message both times so it's something to do with the program.

Not sure what you mean by 'trash FC preferences.' How would I go about doing that?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 3, 2014 at 2:02:40 am

First: why have you not updated to the latest version. FC has been improved since 10.0.6 ... a lot.

What version of OS X are you on?

Repair permissions:

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/firstaid_3.htm

Trash preferences

In Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Library from the Go menu.
In the Library folder that opens, open the Application Support folder. Move the Final Cut Pro folder to the Trash.
Return to the Library folder and open the Caches folder. Move the "com.apple.FinalCut" folder to the Trash.
Return to the Library folder and open the Preferences folder. Move the following files to the Trash:

com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.UserDestinations.plist

But if I were you I'd also delete FC and install the newest version

Removing Final Cut Pro X in OS X 10.9 Mavericks

In Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
Locate the Final Cut Pro application and drag it to the Trash.
In Finder, hold down the Option key and choose Library from the Go menu.
In the Library folder that opens, open the Application Support folder. Move the Final Cut Pro folder to the Trash.
Return to the Library folder and open the Caches folder. Move the "com.apple.FinalCut" folder to the Trash.
Return to the Library folder and open the Preferences folder. Move the following files to the Trash:

com.apple.FinalCut.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.plist
com.apple.FinalCut.UserDestinations.plist

Reinstalling Final Cut Pro X

From the Mac App Store
Follow the steps from earlier in this article to remove Final Cut Pro X.
Open the Mac App Store.
Click the Purchases button in the Mac App Store toolbar.
Sign in to the Mac App Store using the Apple ID you first used to purchase Final Cut Pro X.
Look for Final Cut Pro X in the list of purchased applications in the App Store. If you don't see FInal Cut Pro X in the list, make sure that it's not hidden. See Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases for more information.
Click Install to download and install Final Cut Pro X.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 3, 2014 at 7:34:11 am

[Craig Alan] "First: why have you not updated to the latest version. FC has been improved since 10.0.6 ... a lot."

I was wondering that, too. But he wrote 10.0.2 not 6, so I just gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was a typo. But if it is in fact 10.0.2 then I think there's only one logical assumption as to why that is.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 8, 2014 at 12:05:04 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "But he wrote 10.0.2 not 6, so I just gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was a typo. But if it is in fact 10.0.2 then I think there's only one logical assumption as to why that is."

We've had this Mac and FCPX for a while now and I've just been using what was given to me, not really keeping up with all of the news on updates and what-not. I will try updating the program to 10.1.2 and see if that helps with any of my issues. I'll let you know if it doesn't. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 8, 2014 at 5:57:51 pm

Brandon,

I would first delete FCP X and all the supporting files as explained above.

Be sure you have your apple ID and password ready.

Then click on the icon that looks like a giant A and if you hover over it says "app store". Update all.

Please follow the instructions I gave above so that the new version will be installed in what is called a clean. install. It might not matter but since there were problems there might also be corruption is some file somewhere. It is quite painless. A clean install is not complicated. Follow the directions to trash all needed files and the rest the app store will take care of

The newest version of all is very safe and much improved. It will also have the advantage when you ask for help to have a system with the same configuration as everyone else.

After the installs are done, when you laid FC it will ask you if you want to update the library. Click yes. Though in theory you should save a back up of the library as is I haven't heard a single complaint of something going a muck. If you are worried about it, first make a copy of the library to another folder.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 9, 2014 at 8:50:50 am

[Brandon Schatsiek] "not really keeping up with all of the news on updates and what-not."

The first and foremost thing you'll want to do with any app and the first sign of trouble is check for an update. 10.0.2 is nearly three years old and there have been a full TEN additional updates for FCP and TWO new versions of the OS since then! And all of them were free. So not having installed any of it by now still strikes me as very odd. So next time you might want to check the App Store first to save yourself (and us) a lot of time and typing. No need to shuffle anything around or delete etc. Simply check for updates and install. But mind you, you'll have to install Mavericks first, otherwise you won't be able to install anything above 10.0.9.

Return to posts index

Brandon Schatsiek
on Jul 10, 2014 at 4:05:42 pm

Seems as if updating to the newest version has helped... at least for now. Thanks for everyone's feedback. I know that if it acts up again, I'll try everything else you all suggested. I appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]