FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to select edit points without using the mouse.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morgan Mendieta
How to select edit points without using the mouse.
on Jul 1, 2014 at 1:46:20 am

I have a question. Say I want to make a L edit by selecting my clip with "C" then seperating with "CONTROL S" then how do I select only audio clip to trim without using the mouse? is this possible? this really slows me down.

in FCP7 and Premiere I only have to activate the audio track I want to make the edit to but I cant figure out how to do this in FCPX

Also same problem selecting a connected clip to edit using only the keyboard...

If anyone knows solution for this then I will fully use FCPX to edit from now on but this single thing is holding me back.....

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: How to select edit points without using the mouse.
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:58:52 am

[Morgan Mendieta] "this single thing is holding me back....."

Really? This is the only thing keeping you from editing all the time in FCPX? :-P

You can select edit points in the primary with the bracket keys ( [ ] and \ ) but they default to the video layer when you have the audio expanded. To select the audio edges, you need to hold down SHIFT and use the bracket shortcuts.

As for connected clips, you have to select them with the mouse, unless you place them inside a secondary storyline. Then, as long as no clips are selected in the primary and the playhead is over the secondary storyline, you can use the bracket shortcuts there as well.

Hope that helps. Enjoy working in FCPX from now on.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:39:05 am

And just to save you a step, you don't have to use the C key at all. Just use the up and down arrow keys to move the skimmer to (and select) the edit you want to target, then go right to control S - that expend one clip and select one audio edge, if you then hit the right or left bracket, it will automatically open the other clip and keep the other edge selected. Then comma and period will extend the selected edit point right or left in single frames (10 frames if you hold shift) and magnetism will move the other audio clip out of the way.

You should look into one of the keyboard shortcut maps on the web. There are 300 pre-defined in X - and a way to map a whole host of other commands to custom keystrokes in the keyboard shortcuts editor.

Have fun.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:13:59 pm

Whilst we're whittling away at each other's tips :)... you don't even need ⌃S! With the playhead at the edit point simply hit ⇧[ or ⇧] and the clip expands with its audio edit point selected. ;-)

And the up and down arrows don't move the skimmer, they move the playhead. [scnr]

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:37:32 pm

very nice i like saving short cut keys. yes still my goal is to never touch the mouse at all..... I am able to do this in premeire using the track selection feature.... i need to find solution for FCPX

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:33:56 pm

yes this is the only thing that holds me back from using FCPX and this does not solve my problem I still have to select connected clips via mouse. in Premiere I can select any edit point without ever touching the mouse.

I have actually managed to work a full day with the batteries out of my mouse within premiere with no problem at all.

This is still what will keep me form working in FCPX my work is news so i need to edit as quickly as possible. This does help but the problem still stands.

I work on windows at work and would prefer FCPX at home but this problem still stands.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:32:57 pm

[Morgan Mendieta] "This is still what will keep me form working in FCPX my work is news so i need to edit as quickly as possible. This does help but the problem still stands."

I used to work in news too. Speed is definitely necessary, but complete mouseless control isn't necessary for speed. You just need to understand FCPX enough to know how to use it to it's advantage for speed. Don't rely on connected clips, there are better/faster ways to get things done. If you're trying to trim connected clips, you're not using FCPX to it's advantages.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:41:15 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:42:20 pm

I'd agree... except maybe for the very last part.

I find that an even balance between mouse AND keyboard is by far the speediest in X. Using either exclusively is shooting yourself in the foot, even if that may (or may not) be the best solution for *other* NLEs.

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Jul 1, 2014 at 5:05:09 pm

I need connected clips because we have L3 . info bars and graphics that pop on screen so connected clips are not essential but .. 100% required.

This is our layout.... we have BG plate we have Host on green screen.
we have L3 that goes in and out, then we have story title that goes in and out.... then we have a side image of what the host is talking about. then we have our BUG... so that is 5 tracks that may be required all at the same time so connected clips are required. yes i can nest bg plate and host but sometimes we slide out the host to replace with asset sometimes we don't... so having it on its own track is better...

Now yes i can select the clip with the mouse and some people say its as fast or faster but the thing is i like options and the option I use is not to use the mouse unless required.

When i edit on premiere i do use the mouse I use it when I make effect adjustments cropping placing but I always make my cut first with the keyboard never touching the mouse. Then I go back and make all my adjustments using the mouse moving sliders and such.

I just feel this is an easy fix if not one already available in avid you can jump from one edit point to the next on any track.... this would be a great solution for FCPX have a key that jumps form one edit point to another regardless of it being a connected clip or main storyline.

I dont think I am missing anything without ever using the mouse to make edits. I know there are times when I do have to use the mouse. I just dont want to have to use the mouse to do something I can do in another application and yes it is faster for me moving my hand from keyboard to mouse is time im not progressing in my edit.

I think after all these suggestions the problem still remains there is no way to select what "track" i want to perform an edit on without selecting with mouse.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:10:27 pm

Have you tried a magic track pad? Ergonomically, it might do the trick for you. It allows you to keep your right hand on the keyboard without moving off it to grab the mouse. It can be lined up with the keyboard and very quickly move the cursor to a clip and tap to engage and your right hand is already typing the next command. also your wrist can remain in keyboard position. I have trouble using a mouse lefty but not the track pad. This means my right and left hands share a lot of the work that otherwise is mostly the right. As far as speed - I think FC is known as the fastest NLE for non-complex projects even by those that don't like it for other reasons.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 1, 2014 at 9:50:15 pm

[Morgan Mendieta] "but when I am at a station it is not feasable to have the trackpad."

Not trying to argue but a trackpad will work on any mac and FCP X is Mac only so why can't you use a pad at a station?

I agree that being able to use the keyboard to toggle through layers in the timeline would be very cool. I'm not as fluid as some of the editors here, to say the least, but every session I find myself accidentally with the wrong layer or even area of FC active. Can't tell you how many times my brain goes why didn't that work, oh that's right something just moved in the browser or inspector or in the visual and I'm trying to move in a timeline channel of audio. Most of this is end user error but it happens more than it did in FCP 3-7 for sure. And my instinct at these moments (if command 1-2-3-4 doesn't work) is to grab the mouse and click on the space/layer I want to work on. Very annoying. I'd also like the active space or layer to be brighter than it currently is. That is greater contrast from the rest of the program.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Morgan Mendieta
on Jul 1, 2014 at 11:30:32 pm

No perfectly understandable i think i did not clarify what i meant to say. I dont want to use the trackpad because its an extra that i don't need to carry around. I move from station to station. When i work with clients sometimes i work on their station other times i work on mine at their studio. So that means sometimes they have wireless keyboards other times they have wired keyboards. I don't want to carry around a trackpad everywhere I go... plus a trackpad on a wire long keyooard would require me to move my hand almost identical distance as to reach a mouse.

I do find it easier to edit on my macbook because of the trackpad placement.... but editing on macbook keyboard is not the most comfortable heat. hard edge strain....

I am in a simple solution to selecting connected clips with the keyboard so that I don't have to move my hand off the keyboard. I find I can do quick a lot without a mouse. I actually did not mention this but I dont even use a mouse i use a waoom tablet. Reason for the wacom is I do lots of graphics, photoshop and after effects and prefer it over a mouse. I did find a cool plugin "Final Cat Pro" that I think is headed in the right direction but not quite what I am looking for.

Thanks for all suggestions. I will keep looking for a solution or await one form Apple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]