FORUMS: list search recent posts

work flow folders of projects.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anita sancha
work flow folders of projects.
on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:28:20 pm

Hi... seem to be amassing rather a lot of projects in long video... There about 40 separate projects and each might have up to 5 or more incremental saves and snapshots.... I have tried to use the smart settings in folders but want to only archive incremental saves except the last one off the project list.... but they don't move from the main project list.

Any work arounds??? or do I possibly keep a smart folder of latest ?????? I am in danger of getting very confused. If I delete the pre incremental projects that is destructive.

Or any video tutorials using folders for projects would be helpful.

Thanks hope you understand the problem. I will be joining up the latest versions of each "act" in the final project. This is to make it simpler for me as most of the edits have AE overlays and psd for animations, and its very "heavy" and director makes changes !!!!******LOL

Anita

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: work flow folders of projects.
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:05:58 pm

I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem, but my guess is that you have a lot of projects and you want a smart collection that only shows you the latest of them?

To do this, I recommend having a specified naming convention for your most recent project. Something like BESTVIDEO_CURRENT, or BESTVIDEO_LATEST. Then modify a smart collection to collect all files that are projects (type), AND contain the text "LATEST". Then it should filter out all your other versions. This requires that when you version or make a snapshot, that you rename the snapshot so the word "latest" doesn't appear.

Hope this helps.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:47:15 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:49:35 pm

Anita: Try this.

Open one of your old projects.

Go to File > Export XML.

Create a new XML backup folder on your desktop and let X create and XML copy there.

When this is done, just double click on the XML file - and VOILA - X will launch the project as if you'd launched your project from within X. (If you have X to 7,or a similar XML reader loaded you might need to drop the XML document directly onto the FCP X icon to make sure you launch the XML file inside the app.)

Essentially the XML file is a complete description of all your editing decisions.

In 10.1.2, you can even create an XML file at the Library level, which could be used to re-create your entire current library system.

An XML does NOT store media. It stores all the DECISIONS and the pointers you've established between your assets and the FCP X Program. So you don't want to do this and then mess around with dumping or moving original video audio or graphic files, because launching the XML file will only point to the places things are stored NOW. But for the limited use of dumping a whole bunch of unwanted versions of projects in your library display, just turn them into XML copies then you can safely clear out all the old versions of Projects cluttering up your Libraries. (and you can "drag and drop" the folder of XML exports to another drive to create an extra layer of safety for your old versions.)

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

anita sancha
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:34:23 pm

Hi Guys

gosh !! xml !!

will try that with xml might well sort out the problem... I use that working between AE and FCPX..
and Andy thats what I thought was the only solution that might be simple.

Thanks.

One day I hope they make these folders simple "drag and drop" !!!!

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 1, 2014 at 2:38:34 pm

Would a smart collection along these lines be of any help?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]