FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Error -- "Incompatible File" Pop-up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Paonessa
Relinking Error -- "Incompatible File" Pop-up
on Jun 29, 2014 at 6:16:41 pm

i just exported a project fcpxml to my desktop.
converted the xml through Xto7.
imported the xml into premiere cs6 (so i could export an omf) for my sound mix.
the omf export was smooth. i'm uploading it for the sound engineer (and hopefully it will import to pro tools without a hitch).

upon returning to my project in fcpx (10.1.1) i noticed several dreaded red offline 'modified file' screens where my files once were. when i try to relink the files i get this pop up:

"Incompatible File -- The original file and new file have no shared media range. Relinked files must have the same media type and similar audio channels as the original files, and must be long enough to cover all the clips that reference the files"

i've never had any issues relinking files in the past. it's always been a seamless process.

any ideas? there's about 13 unlinked files. i'm so confused and worried that this will happen again in the future. is this an update bug you think?

thanks in advance.

best,

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Relinking Error -- "Incompatible File" Pop-up
on Jun 29, 2014 at 9:02:08 pm

See here: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/25115

Return to posts index

Nick Paonessa
on Jun 29, 2014 at 10:15:42 pm

thanks jeremy. i'll give that a try. for anyone else experiencing this problem, here's where i found the xmp checkboxes in pp cs6:
>preferences
>media
> uncheck the 2 xmp boxes in the window

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 30, 2014 at 6:50:30 pm

Had this problem last week bringing in FCP7 XMLs through 7toX. Some came in OK and I relinked. Then later nothing worked, got the incompatible files error message. A restart fixed the problem for me. As far as I know, none of these files ever touched any Adobe product. Hmm...

OSX 10.9.3 (via the update process), FCP 10.1.1

Return to posts index

Nick Paonessa
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:02:49 pm

Jeff,

Yeah that was confusing me as well. How could the Adobe XMP meta-data mess with with the files inside FCP X? I exported FCPXML to the desktop and worked outside of Final Cut. Then I came back to it and the files were "Incompatible". Doesn't make sense.

I did a few restarts and have since updated to 10.1.2 to see if that would relink them...it didn't. I'm still gonna try and figure this out before I manually delete the unlinkable files, re-import them from my drive and reassemble my project. I'm still pretty confused and bummed out that I have to go through all that.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2014 at 7:07:27 pm

XMP injects metadata in to the file, and for whatever reason, this alters the file just enough so FCPX doesn't like it. IN FCP7, it would simply knock render files loose.

QTEdit can remove XMP information from the files, yes it costs money.

You can try it before you buy it: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/promedia/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 30, 2014 at 8:07:26 pm

Hi Jeremy. As I understand this issue, only opening a file in an Adobe program will add the XMP data, correct?

In my case, the "director" (ha! - but that's another story) has a hard drive with the same files and file structure as mine. He's the one who cloned his drive and gave it to me to work with. He does not have FCPX - just FCP 7 (or maybe 6). He made some stringouts in his FCP system and exported them as XML. I unzipped his XML files and ran them through 7toX. Worked fine. Tried to do some more the next day. No joy. Deleted XMLs, unzipped again, etc. No joy. Restarted FCPX. All is well. But no Adobe products were used in this process.

At any rate, perhaps the 10.1.2 update will fix the quirkiness.

Return to posts index

diana mrazikova
on Nov 12, 2016 at 2:05:52 am

Hi, I had the same problem when I was organizing my older libraries that for no reason my projects would come up with bunch of "red files" and when I tried to relink them, everything was found but I was getting "Incompaticle file error" saying that the original file and new file have no shared media range. This didn't make too much sense as I didn't change anything. Been searching the threads, restarted computer... Nothing worked. Then I started playing around to try to fix it on my own and I did!!! (At least it works for me). I use Mac, so it worked for Mac... Not sure if FCP X comes also on the PC.

Here's what I did - Instead of relinking the files in FCP X program I changed them manually within the LIBRARY PACKAGE in the FINDER - what is very easy to do.

1. Close FCP X
2. In your hardrive or where you have the FCP X LIBRARY with the problem stored, open it with a right click and select SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS
3. When it opens go to ORIGINAL MEDIA folder and look through the media - all the ones that are not working in our FCPX will be showing broken - they show the file name, but they don't work.
4. Hopefully you have another copy of these files somewhere else - I luckily did (not even knowing it would help in this case) and I just looked at the file name of the broken files and replaced the broken ones with the good files from my other location - (I copied it there, so it also stayes in the original location in case this happens again). I guess this would be a reason, to keep your original folder of all files that you have prior to start working in FCP X and not rely only on the files that are copied in the FCP X, because like in my case and probably some of your cases, something can go wrong, and this is really easy way to fix it.
Hope it works for you too! ? It saved me major headache.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]