FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring the un-restorable?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Restoring the un-restorable?
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:15:40 pm

Did my first complete editing project in FCPX today. Spent the day and had a great time, actually. Until the very last step before output. I had everything else done and was browing looks in the title browser to add a front title to my piece, when FCP crashed.

"Not to worry", I told myself. "I heard that FCPX backs up everything, automatically. I just have to find the backup"

"restore from backup?" it asks me.

"yes, please, " says I.

Only, it restores a fragmentary, earlier project, not the full one I had 99.9 percent done. casual, yet ever more frantic search yields no other backups.

WTFOMGBBQ.

So, I'm looking for something that looks like FCP7's autosave vault to find a version of the show from earlier in the day.
r
Can y'all help a new FCPX cutter out? I'm on deadline here.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Restoring the un-restorable?
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:40:00 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:41:28 pm

When you create an initial Library - you put it somewhere. That file will remain no matter what else you do. When you invoked Restore from Backup - you simply temporarily opened from a different (obviously later created) library.

Do a search on the NAME of the Library you originally created and find out where it is.

Launch X and then double click on THE ORIGINAL library.

That should get you back to the state of the library when you crashed.

Remember X works by generating and writing metadata. So it's essentially always saving every keystroke you do in real time.

So chances are good that you've lost nothing.

Let us know how it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:45:40 pm

Following that idea, I found it in another library, how it got moved, I dunno but likely pilot error. Thanks for the fast answer!

Nobody seems to talk about Larry Jordan too much around here and I don't know why that is, but I just finished watching him do a live 3-day seminar on FCPX for beginners, and it really helped me get started without intimidation. I jumped in whole-hog into this edit today, with the tutorials fresh in mind, and I have to say that it was damn fast. Now, I wasn't pushing a lot of compositing or heavy effects yet, but the automatic audio and color filters and motion stabilization already pleased me.

Add some more third-party improvements to this thing, and I could get used to it. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 27, 2014 at 9:37:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Nobody seems to talk about Larry Jordan too much around here and I don't know why that is, but I just finished watching him do a live 3-day seminar on FCPX for beginners, and it really helped me get started without intimidation."

Larry's great.

As with absolutely all teachers, his style fits some learners better than others. (my son thinks every teacher older than 25 is WAY too slow paced!) I'm glad he's a good fit with you.

If you're diving into X, you should also surf through Steve Martin and Mark Spencers stuff. About the same pace, but they RELENTLESSLY keep their lessons short. Seldom going beyond 5 min. It's an acknowledgement that we're living in short attention span theater time.

Plus spend your non-Cow time at FCP.co. HUGE resources there.

Trust me, Three years from now you're STILL going to be learning cool tricks with FCP X.

It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Enjoy.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 29, 2014 at 5:01:29 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:04:23 pm

Larry talks pretty fast but will circle around and eventually wind his way back to the subject defined by the title of the lesson. So if I go in all ears, which most youngsters don't, you learn a lot. If you are in mid-edit and just want help getting a function to 'just do it', he's slow. That said, Larry's non-video tutorials are very specific, accurate, comprehensive and fill in many gaps left by the FCP X help pdf.

And all that said, if I already know how to do something in X and I'm standing behind a in one ear out the other student, I can show them how to use a FCP X function in about 30 seconds, which would take at least 10 minutes to learn from an on-line tutorial, assuming they have the desire to read the thing, which mostly they don't.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]