FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing compressed movies

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sanders
Editing compressed movies
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:00:51 pm

Hi all.

After watching a video encode for an hour or so I've realised I should have made the still at the front a bit longer.

I encoded the movie out of FCP X using the "540P for video sharing" preset.

Does anyone know if there is a way I can export a 10 sec video of the still out using the same preset and join the two files together - either in FCP X or another programme?

Thanks.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Editing compressed movies
on Jun 23, 2014 at 9:41:07 pm

Michael,

Did you try exporting the "fixed" piece only then a simple trim and combine via QuickTime Pro? Sometimes I find that the easiest utility for dirt simple file repair like this. Trim the bad top of the long one. Paste the good top of the new one on just being mindful of the frames where you put the cuts. There are other equally simple edit apps out there, but most of us have QTPro around from the FCP7 days.
Just a thought.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 23, 2014 at 10:55:32 pm

Depending on the codec, your movie might get recompressed anyway.

In a longGOP mp4 situation, Qt is just going to make a new movie by recompressing the new groups together with the old groups, which results in a recompression of the compression.

It's best to simply reencode from the originals, in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:44:15 am

Yep. And you can do all that in QTX as well. Not sure what people need QT7 for anymore. It hasn't been on my machine for a year or two.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]