FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying Favourite selections from one Library to Another

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Copying Favourite selections from one Library to Another
on Jun 23, 2014 at 11:47:03 am

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to copy JUST the favourites metadata from and Event in one Library to another?

For a variety of reasons I am rebuilding a Library from scratch, and re importing all my media.

Instead of reimporting, should I instead be simply copying media from one Library to another using the FCPX browser?

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Copying Favourite selections from one Library to Another
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:09:24 pm

First, we should probably know exactly what you're trying to do.

Why are you reimporting?

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:53:40 pm

Its my first major FCPX project and, besides being extremely disorganized in my use of Events, etc, many of my files need relinking but can't.

I used 96kHz files for all my synchronized clips. After resampling to 48, even if I tried manually relinking, I was unable to.

Much easier to start again with a clean slate-Library.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:58:59 pm

If you aren't using the same clips, then I am unaware of a way to transfer the Favorite info to the new clips.

As far as reconnecting, have you tried this?:

http://telemarq.com/products/fcpxchange/

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:08:38 pm

But they are the same files. Thanks for the tip. Will give FCPXchange a try!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 23, 2014 at 8:30:34 pm

[jim bachalo] "But they are the same files. "

If they are the same files, and you transfer the files from one library to another, then yes, the ranges will transfer as well.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 27, 2014 at 4:32:07 am

Not sure what you are asking. Are these ranges within a series of clips that you have labeled as favorites? Do you want just the favorites in their own folders? If so you could just make a smart collection and then label them using the keyword editor and they will be moved into the smart folders. You can also drag them as a group (command click each one you want) to the new event in the new library.

However, if the problem is that the link to the original media in the finder has been broken you need to relink them first. And if you have lost track of what the originals are called and where they are stored that could be hard. However you could go to the finder open the original media and figure out where stuff is. Any original media in the finder will play in preview if you click the space bar.

To see what is in the current library in the finder: right click the library and select "show package contents"

Here's how to relink:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12701?viewlocale=en_US

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

jim bachalo
on Jun 27, 2014 at 1:52:18 pm

Thanks. The crux of my problem is my inability to relink resampled audio files. I mistakenly created my project using 96kHz audio files. I need to finish in Resolve via xml. Resolve doesn't like 96kHz audio!
So 2-3 days spent selecting favorites, syncing audio, adding metadata have been lost.

I need to start all over from scratch

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 27, 2014 at 2:52:23 pm

[jim bachalo] "Thanks. The crux of my problem is my inability to relink resampled audio files. I mistakenly created my project using 96kHz audio files. I need to finish in Resolve via xml. Resolve doesn't like 96kHz audio!
So 2-3 days spent selecting favorites, syncing audio, adding metadata have been lost.
"

You mean you can't hear the audio in Resolve?

Why not just export a mixed down aiff for grading purposes and play that back in Resolve?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]