FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need a 3rd party box for my Asus?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
Do I need a 3rd party box for my Asus?
on Jun 13, 2014 at 11:27:19 pm

I’ve been used to free reign with all sorts of external monitors and FCP7, such as my new ASUS PB278Q 27" Widescreen via thunderbolt-to-display port cable. (From mid-2013 Retina MBPro).

But now learning FCPX, it seems without a 3rd party device there’s no way to externally monitor direct full frame output of the Sequence to my ASUS.
Display port connection didn’t allow it, plus I tried HDMI output as specified but FCPX grays out or does not show a selection for the ASUS in Prefs and Window.

Just to confirm with experienced users out there, will I indeed need a 3rd party box to use my big bad ASUS with FCP X?

FYI I don’t need a broadcast display paradigm for my work, all grading is done out of house.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Do I need a 3rd party box for my Asus?
on Jun 14, 2014 at 4:50:18 am

It has to be hooked up to HDMI. In the displays system prefs pane, make sure you're not set to mirroring and that you're seeing an extension of your desktop on the monitor. Restart FCP X. In the FCP X prefs for playback, choose the HDMI monitor. Close prefs and under the window menu choose AV output.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Jun 14, 2014 at 8:43:36 am

Also the reso should be set to 1080 on Asus.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 14, 2014 at 1:27:47 pm

Oh yeah because it's looking for an HDTV. I have my Flanders hooked up to a second computer via the HDMI port on an old 5770 card that was flashed mac. This off a 2006 MacPro rigged to run mavericks. If it'll do it off that machine, it should do it off any mac with an hdmi port.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:40:48 pm

Thanks, all.

I did try those steps as indicated, and there is no 1080 selection choice for the ASUS on the Display control panel, nor on the ASUS itself, and FCPX simply does not see it. The available scaling resolutions don't match up with any of the supported FCPX dimensions.

Would a 3rd party box allow me to use this big bright hi-rez ASUS in some way, either via HDMI or the display port?

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Jun 14, 2014 at 5:48:34 pm
Last Edited By Jari Innanen on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:04:13 pm

You may need to press the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions for the HDMI monitor.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12783?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

P.S. I see now you have an Ultrawide display. I have one also, but haven't tried to use that one as an fullscreen output. Only as the main monitor for the timeline.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Jun 14, 2014 at 6:57:25 pm

I tried the Option key but to no avail.

I'm thinking something from Blackmagic would solve my problem?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]