FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updating Matching FCP X Libraries with current work

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Updating Matching FCP X Libraries with current work
on Jun 12, 2014 at 3:37:49 am

I had a library that I had to copy over to a field drive to do some work on the road. That copied library now contains my most current work. But now I want to finish on my faster home machine. How do I update my library on my home machine with the current work?

In the past with seven I would just copy over the FCP project and reconnect. Is there an easy way to do this with X? I hope I don't have to copy over my entire library to the home machine in order to this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Updating Matching FCP X Libraries with current work
on Jun 12, 2014 at 6:43:22 am

On the "road" machine, with your current Library open, make a new library and copy your project into it. If the media is managed (in the Library) it will copy over what it needs to the new library. Transfer that to your home machine, open it, and open your home Library and copy the project into it. Once again it all should come across. If media is linked (external) you'll need to obviously transfer the media you need as well, and then relink.

You can also just export project xml (use the "extended" view setting in the dialog) and import that into your home library. You will need to relink if it's looking for media that isn't in the "home" library, but as long as you get all the media over you should be fine.

It's not much different from FCP 7 now in this regard, just does it a little differently.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Jun 12, 2014 at 11:35:17 pm

OK this is helpful. I'm still a little confused though about it. I Keep my projects at a minimum and often will turn work in a project into a compound clip and blow away the project. I do this because I found that X gets laggy if I have several projects in the library. So a lot of my projects or sequences (wordage from 7) are now compound clips. So how do I transfer those over? Also I added media to my road library. How does that transfer over? I have been told it isn't wise to show package contents and start pulling files out of the road library file structure to my home library.

It just seemed simpler in 7. You open up a project that was essentially a skeleton map that pointed to media. You open it up and reconnect to media where ever it was. Am I thinking about this correctly? Thanks for helping me along the way.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 13, 2014 at 12:52:34 am

Hey... sorry if I was confusing. :-) If all your media is in the Library, then just put your compound(s) in a project(s) and break them apart. essentially just turn them back into projects. Then copy those into the new (transfer" Library. Everything needed should come along. same process from the transfer into your "home" library. If you're not comfortable poking around in the package, don't! Sounds like you shouldn't need to anyway. Just make backups before you do anything and it should be OK. Hopefully others will chime in, as I am less "risk averse" than some folks. lol It really is just a matter of copying projects (don't use the compounds as it might not work as expected) from your road Library into your home library.

Was that more or less confusing? :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Jun 20, 2014 at 3:22:08 pm

No you are making sense. Thanks Charlie. Just seemed easier with 7 I guess. I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]