FORUMS: list search recent posts

removing a range from all "tracks"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Plate
removing a range from all "tracks"
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:21:54 pm

I am working on a project for a friend for fun, and actually this is the first project where FCPX and I clicked. This slideshow mixing video and stills was a perfect project to use in this NLE. However I am at a place where I need some advice.

I would like to remove a few bars of music to trim up a section. In other editing systems I would mark and in and an out in the timeline then extract that range from all tracks.

In the attached screenshot I show my timeline. I have marked a range where I would like to remove a section. Deleting this selected range ALMOST works, but it doesn't affect the music. How would you approach this?

Return to posts index

Wes Plate
Re: removing a range from all "tracks"
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:41:54 pm

My goal is to remove 10 seconds of the intro. I want to shorten the song AND shorten the entire edit. Deleting the selected range in the screenshot shortens the primary storyline and the connected clips follow along, however I need to also remove the time from the connected clip song that is attached at the beginning of the timeline.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:52:05 pm

Wes not sure but dont you also have to range select the audio?

Return to posts index

Wes Plate
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:04:34 pm

Yes. And I couldn't figure out how to. I learned that I needed to add the audio to its own Storyline and THEN I was able to edit it.

I'm finding additional storylines are really a key thing to know about in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:43:57 pm

Once you get past that and a few other "quirks" you will love working in FCPX.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:01:48 pm

I've mapped my keyboard Shift-B to "Blade All'.

This will slice everything on all tracks.

Do this at the start of your range, and the end of your range, and delete everything in the middle.

Another way is to arbitrarily slice the audio somewhere during the range you are deleting and make sure the second half of the audio clip you've created is attached to a clip in the timeline that's after the range you're going to remove.

Now when you remove your video range, the audio will still be there, but you'll need to apply fades and adjust the overlapping ends to create a smooth audio track.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:26:11 pm

Alternatively, you can select the layers you want to cut, and hit blade. This means if you have three layers, but only want to cut two, only the two selected layers get cut.

I have mapped the blade shortcut to simply, b, instead of using b to select the blade tool.

It's easiest to start at the output, since FCPX will autoselect.

Select layers to cut, skim to out point and b, skim to in point and b, then select the middle and delete.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 11, 2014 at 5:51:55 am

And if you blade through all, the resulting bits in the middle are all connected to the one middle chunk on the primary. Delete it and they all disappear and ripple down. In any case it's 3 steps. An in, and out, and a delete action.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jun 12, 2014 at 2:49:30 pm

+1

I also changed the "B" from Blade Tool to Blade.

Blade Tool seemed unnecessary to me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]