FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video only editing of multi cam clips... is it possible?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Video only editing of multi cam clips... is it possible?
on Jun 7, 2014 at 6:30:15 am

I love the multi cam video editing of FCPX. However, I hate cutting up the audio into many different bits.

Even if I'm making video only cuts, the audio is getting cut as well. I frequently have multiple mics running, and need to make keyframe adjustments on individual tracks. Presently I make all my audio key framing first, then proceed to make my camera switching cuts. To go back and change audio keyframes may now entail making keyframe changes across multiple clips, since they've been sliced up.

I'm thinking this means that each sliced bit of the clip contains its own version of all the audio keyframes, since changing keyframes in one will not change the keyframes in the others.

I'd like to make video only cuts, leaving the audio as one long clip.
I wish there were a way to do this.
Two workarounds I can think of:
-Separate the audio.
-Extend the audio on the first cut of the clip and reduce or remove the audio on every cut after.

Am I being too fussy here since there are pretty simple workarounds?

I recently shot a 2 hour play with two cameras. I separated the audio to make it easier to do the audio, and when I tightened up the blackouts and scene changes, I had to make sure I sliced the audio as well as the video and make special care not to let my sync shift. Again... I'd like to make video cuts, keep the audio uncut, but attached.

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Trust Helpful
Re: Video only editing of multi cam clips... is it possible?
on Jun 7, 2014 at 7:50:07 am

When you are in the event viewer if you got to the angle viewer up in the left hand corner at the top there are 3 buttons yellow for video audio cutting, blue for video only cutting and green for audio only cutting.

Trust

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 7, 2014 at 7:55:10 am

To answer your question quickly: No, without one of the workarounds you mention, you cannot do what you're talking about.

If you consider every multi cam solution out there, you have the same exact situation. The difference in X is that a multi cam clip can contain embedded audio whereas in other NLEs the audio tracks are separate from the video tracks. This separation allows for ease of use in the workflow you want, so to do the same workflow in X, you need to separate the audio from the video.

Keep in mind, that changes made to clips in the angle editor ripple down to the project clips so you can potentially use that to your advantage.

If you have multiple mics, you can synch those mics to a single video track, add it to a multi clip, open it in timeline mode and make all your audio changes there on all your various mic tracks. Then only use that angle for your audio in the multi clip. But personally that seems like a pretty convoluted workflow, when all you really need to do is separate the audio from the video and leave it at that.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 7, 2014 at 12:51:12 pm

I think he just wants to leave his audio in tact so previous reply is probably on the money. Just elect video only.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 7, 2014 at 3:47:59 pm

But even when you make a video only cut in a multiclip, the edit point goes through the audio portion if the audio is embedded in the multiclip. This prevents you from making keyframed adjustments to the full audio track because even though you're dealing with a single angle of audio, you have dozens of edit points that keyframes won't cross over. It's like having dozens of separate audio clips that just happen to line up in time over the course of your project.

So just choosing video only when cutting won't help at all.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 8, 2014 at 8:01:53 am

If you want to cut a multiclip with video only while preserving the continuous master audio under the cuts: drop your multiclip in the timeline, select the angle that has the audio track you want to use and detach the audio on the multiclip. Then cut up the multiclip.

If you have already cut up your multiclip and you want to see continuous master audio on the timeline:

- Press CMD+A on the timeline, then press ALT+G. This will group the cut-up multiclip into a CC with a continuous audio channel. Or:

- Press CMD+A on the timeline, press SHIFT+CTRL+S to detach the audio from the clips, then make a CC from the audio clips only. Or:

- Detach (or expand) the audio from the first clip on the timeline and stretch it to the end of the edit. Then group-select the other clips and mute their audio in the Audio tab.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jun 8, 2014 at 10:52:01 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "- Detach (or expand) the audio from the first clip on the timeline and stretch it to the end of the edit. Then group-select the other clips and mute their audio in the Audio tab."

I like this choice then you always have the original audio to check sync with.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jun 9, 2014 at 12:44:40 am

Do not detach the audio. Your last option is the best. This is what makes the whole system a pain. It's a tradeoff. Making lots of cam changes makes the audio difficult to edit. Extend audio where you can, but make you you keep all the audio attached. At some point you'll have to pull audio from another cut. Don't try and detach and chop up one clip of audio and use it as connected clips. It will come back and haunt you later in the cut. Trust me I've tried it.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jun 9, 2014 at 12:48:21 am

Sounds like I'm not the only one annoyed by the slicing of the audio when you make video only edits.

Looks like an enhancement request we can ask for.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

---------

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jun 9, 2014 at 12:56:24 am

One of the chief problems is making noise reduction or fx in the angle editor will cause a cutting sound at every edit in the story line. This is especially annoying if you're cutting say a wedding outside and ad a noise filter in the angle editor to cut the wind noise or other bg noise. You're forced to use an audio crossfade on every cut in the story line to hide the audio cut noise.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 9, 2014 at 4:57:28 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jun 9, 2014 at 6:40:30 am

Wow thats news to me. I have heard the odd pop on a cut when I have made it but it seems to go away.

I have seen the edit points but never realised thy were actually chopping the audio with invisible edits.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Jun 10, 2014 at 9:51:04 am

Try it. Use the noise reduction function in the angle editor. It will completely spoil the the project every time.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 10, 2014 at 12:37:36 pm

Yup.

Wonder if it's just as bad if you apply filters to all the clips in the timeline?

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:53:13 pm

Exactly. My point is that why would you want your audio cut into little pieces if it's actually continuous. On multi cam editing, I always mix my audio and adjust my audio levels first, then I perform my camera switches. From here on out, I'm going to separate my audio.

Extending the audio from the first clip is clunky. If I remove a portion of the video to tighten up the timeline, I'll need to do a lot of monkeying with the audio to get it connected.

Looks like this boy's going to use separated audio, and just be very very careful about not losing my sync. I think keeping the audio embedded in the clips with the volume turned down, in case I need to re-establish my sync.

This will also help you avoid the clicking that can happen when you cut from one audio with an effect to another.

Either way, you'll be happier avoiding the audio slices that happen when you change camera angles. Until the FCP guys come up with a better way to handle this.

---------

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:15:51 pm

[Mark Morache] "Looks like this boy's going to use separated audio, and just be very very careful about not losing my sync. I think keeping the audio embedded in the clips with the volume turned down, in case I need to re-establish my sync."

Honestly, this is much less an issue than people think it is. I almost never, and I do mean never, errantly grab audio connected clips and move them. But if you're worried about it, I suggest you place a marker on the clip your audio is connected to, and again on the audio itself (at the same point). Then if you do lose sync by some chance, you can resync with a simple drag and snap to marker.

Andy

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:52:43 pm

I kind of miss move/slip into sync for those moments when you do choose to detach audio.

I'd also like the option of reattaching it if at some later point I want to.

I know I can create a CC but it' a bit convoluted for me.

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]