FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking question for collaborative workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georg P. Mueller
Relinking question for collaborative workflow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:49:47 am

The scenario:
We started out with two hard drives containing original footage with identical folder structures. One drive stayed with me, the other left with my colleague. I created a new library, imported the media with the "copy" option checked (allowing final cut to manage the media) and organized the material into events with keyword collections.

Created a first cut and shared the project XML and event XMLs with my co-worker via email. Now she is facing a relinking nightmare. Events show up double, media has to be relinked one by one.

I realize I shouldn't have copied the media to my library. But what can I do now to fix it from my side?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Relinking question for collaborative workflow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:53:16 pm

[Georg P. Mueller] "I realize I shouldn't have copied the media to my library. But what can I do now to fix it from my side?"

Use consolidate to move all the media to an external folder, then re-output the xml. Check the FCP X help for the exact process… very easy though.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:05:59 pm

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the tip. I have now consolidated into another folder. If I export a new XML now, I assume it will point to the media in the new, single folder instead of pointing to the original media folder in my library.

But this does not reflect the hierarchy that I had when importing the media in the beginning - the same structure that my co-worker has... Perhaps I should ask her to move all media out of that structure into a single folder?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:24:42 pm

[Georg P. Mueller] "If I export a new XML now, I assume it will point to the media in the new, single folder instead of pointing to the original media folder in my library. "

Yes, it should. :-)

[Georg P. Mueller] "But this does not reflect the hierarchy that I had when importing the media in the beginning - the same structure that my co-worker has... Perhaps I should ask her to move all media out of that structure into a single folder?"

I think it'll be OK. Might take a bit to relink but X should find it all....

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:33:23 pm

If your coworker already has all the media in a project you're good. If not have her import it and choose leave in place so it keeps the structure. Although other than being OCD the structure doesn't matter really

THEN, you highlight your first cut project and choose to make a new library from project. When it's done, consolidate all the media to an external folder. Since you are working with the same media you should have been doing this in the first place. In almost every case working with external media is the better choice.

Email her the new library containing just the one project (and the new event) file without the external media. She opens it and drags that project into her library. Her library will recognize that it already has files of those names matching those specs and will instantly link to those files. Any keyword collections you've added will come along to.

Just finished doing a good bit of this and it works.

Return to posts index

Georg P. Mueller
on Jun 6, 2014 at 5:41:09 am
Last Edited By Georg P. Mueller on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:54:48 am

Great - thanks for this (both of you)! It worked great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]