FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Sequences in one Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Pniewski
Multiple Sequences in one Project
on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:56:30 pm

This is probably a simple answer. . .

In previous versions of FCP, I could work on multiple sequences in one project; say, one timeline open for a photo montage, another open for an edited sequence, another open for something else, etc.

Then when I was finishing the edit, I'd copy the contents of those sequences into the main timeline, and bingo, I was done.

How can I do this in FCP X? I'm all turned around :/

Thanks!
Glenn

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
Re: Multiple Sequences in one Project
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:38:04 pm

Compound clips. Work on it like its a sequence, make it a compound clip. The CC will go to the media browser just like any other clip. When you're ready to put them all together, just populate your new project with the CCs. To keep them organized, make a smart collection designated by clip type. (Compound clip).

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:40:20 pm

FCPX is much different from FCP7 in this regard. You can have only one project (sequence) open at a time. However, you can work the way you want by using compound clips as sequences. They can be stored in your event and added to your main project when you're ready.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 4, 2014 at 5:05:22 pm

You can still work just like FCP 7. Just copy and paste from sequence to sequence. No need to go all compound clip crazy for this simple task. And an FCP 7 user might not be used to the new compound clips rules compared to nested sequences in 7. In 7 you could have placed all those sequences in one final sequence as nested sequences, but you preferred copy/paste. You can still do that in X.

Maybe you're confused because there aren't any tabs. True, but you can still have multiple sequences in your library. As you open each sequence you'll be able to quickly navigate between recent sequences by clicking the right and left arrows at the top left of the timeline. Press and hold to see a list. It works exactly like a web browser for recent sequences.

And as you've probably noticed, sequences are actually called projects in X. And a library is roughly akin to an FCP 7 project. Events and keyword collections are more advanced organizational concepts that replace bins.

Compound clips are great too, but as they often over complicate things, I'd leave them for compositing tasks, and use them sparingly.

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
on Jun 4, 2014 at 6:52:33 pm

Sure, but when it comes time to put your final project together, wouldn't having your compound clips/"sequences" readily available in one smart collection be easier and more efficient?

Say I've edited scenes 1 through 12 of my short film. I'm ready to put the whole thing together and export it. I make a new project, and then just drop sequences 1-12 onto the primary storyline and I'm done. No copy and pasting back and forth between multiple projects.

Return to posts index

Glenn Pniewski
on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:10:44 pm

Many thanks to all. . .yeah, it's a big learning curve, and I read/watch the tutorials, yet at some points, I'm still like "wait. . .what??" Thanks again ~

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jun 7, 2014 at 2:07:18 pm

We've all been there.

I never thought I would get it. The one day I did and will never go back.

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:48:25 am

The compound clip rules do take some getting used to with the parent child gotchas if you are not careful.

But my real question to you about this workflow: When you marry those compounds clips together into a master sequence - don't you need to tweak things? Aren't there some tweaks that become more difficult when they are contained within compound clips?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]