FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trancoding Media FCP 10.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
Trancoding Media FCP 10.1
on Jun 3, 2014 at 4:12:34 pm

Hi, I have imported some avi files in fcp 10.1. I chose not to copy files and not to make optimized or proxy media. Now that I did a rough cut I want to transcode my media to optimized and continue to work my edit, doing color correction etc. Although when I choose the clips in my project (timeline) the transcode selection is disabled and when I choose a clip in the browser and then transcode the only option that I have is to make proxy media.

Can anyone help me on how to transcode my project to optimized media files?

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Trancoding Media FCP 10.1
on Jun 3, 2014 at 5:04:58 pm

Are you sure that it's not already transcoded? Check the video format column in the list view of the browser, or open the inspector and check the video format. If it's already prores 422 then you won't be given the option.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2014 at 2:13:59 am

And some formats, like XDCam 422 are already considered optimized.

What format is your footage?

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Jun 4, 2014 at 4:57:32 pm

Hi, my media files are .avi
here are tow screen shots:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5hmwDAiYtyNWi1zMGJua1l3dkE/edit?usp=shari...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5hmwDAiYtyNX1dLVXlpSU1rM0pQWVJmRXJPVUxzaT...

One from inspector and one from vlc.

Another issue is that from vlc you can see that the media file is 16:9 , in fcpx's browser I see all these clips as 4:3. I changed the spacial conform to fit, fill and none, but nothing changed in the aspect ration of the clips. When I insert the clips in the project and select fit or none the clips remain 4:3. Only when I select fill becomes 16:9. I think that fcpx sees the media files as 4:3.

P.s. The project is 1920x1080 because the remaining clips are 1920x1080.
here is a screen shot of the project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5hmwDAiYtyNRFBjRTd0d1hOT28/edit?usp=shari...

Thanks a lot anyone who shares my problem.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:27:25 am

You'll want to convert the movies to .mov.

Compressor may work.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:06:32 pm

I was hopping that since fcp x can read the media, transcoding would save the day.
I'm a bit disappointed because I have to convert and then relink the media. I could do it from the beginning.

Thanks anyway!

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:10:30 pm

AVI has never been a very Mac friendly format, unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Jun 6, 2014 at 9:04:19 am

Do you think the problem has to do with the codec? If yes, then why I do have the option to trasncode to proxy media and not to optimized? Also I'm wondering if the media were H264, do you think I would have the option of transcoding to optimized?
Perhaps I'll have to try it when a project with H264 comes.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:07:08 pm

[Thanos Papadopoulos] "Do you think the problem has to do with the codec?"

No, it's the wrapper (AVI).

h264 will optimize, yes.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 6, 2014 at 4:11:40 pm

Your codec is DV which is considered "optimized" by FCPX. That's why it won't convert to ProRes. It doesn't see a benefit. AVI is a more windows-based wrapper for your footage and as such doesn't play well with FCPX. Unless a file is already in Pro Res Proxy, FCPX will always let you transcode to proxy, but optimized are only reserved for file codecs that don't run as well in X. DV is one of the "optimized" codecs.

You can always convert footage before bringing it into X which I would do in this case, if only to get it out of the AVI wrapper.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 9, 2014 at 5:37:10 am

Now I'm confused too. I was told that I did not need to transcode my pana P2 footage but only rewrap it as QT. Under file if I highlight a clip the transcode is greyed out as well.

Is there any downside to color correcting and the like with this codex in FC? Also I don't think that FC will transcode it regardless of clicking optimize upon import. It still is listed in the inspector as the original codec.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 9, 2014 at 3:46:25 pm

[Craig Alan] " I was told that I did not need to transcode my pana P2 footage but only rewrap it as QT. "

And from your screen grab, that's exactly what happened.

AVC-I is 10bit 422, Similar to ProRes LT. It's great quality to use.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 10, 2014 at 12:19:10 am

thanks. i've had no problem with it but am increasingly getting deeper in program and want to build on best practices.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]