FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Create Custom Size Projects in FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arya Boustani
How to Create Custom Size Projects in FCP X
on Jun 1, 2014 at 1:50:13 am

Hi there,
I have a 2/3" broadcast lens on my Panasonic GH4 camera. It has a built-in extender but I rather not use the extender for several reasons so I get the circle. I decided to shoot 4k and then crop it to maximum width and height to get rid of the circle in a 16:9 ratio, then I do my edit at that point. I have enough resolution left to have a 2.5k project but I don't know how to create a 2.5k project in FCP X.
The other thing is that when I crop the frame, it still see the clip with original 4K attribute rather than updating the resolution in the info page. I didn't find any secondary frame size properties somewhere else based on the cropped frame. Am I missing something here? It either sticks to show the frame size of the source or the target project. In FCP 7 I could go to Project Settings and change the output resolution. In FCP X I just saw Project Properties with minimal info and doesn't seem to let me changing stuff. Again I suspect I'm missing something here. Sorry I'm still struggling doing transition from 7 to X.
Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: How to Create Custom Size Projects in FCP X
on Jun 1, 2014 at 12:31:40 pm

Arya,

What version of X are you running?

-paul.

Return to posts index

Arya Boustani
on Jun 1, 2014 at 2:52:10 pm

Right now, I'm working in my mountain lion partition which is still my main partition so I can't update to 10.1 but I have 10.1. on my Mavericks partition. I just need to do some partition space reconfiguring to make that bigger since it wasn't populated with my apps back then but now it will be going in that direction.
If it makes life easier I can work on 10.1 for this as well. I already had a project done in 10.1 and I like it more anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:04:11 am

When you press cmd+j and go into the settings, can you not simply choose custom under the video properties pull down and enter whatever resolution you want? I thought they changed this before 10.1. Even so, you can simply start a project with a graphic of the resolution size you desire, drag it to a new project, and accept when it asks if you want to match the size.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jun 2, 2014 at 10:59:13 am

I do not recommend starting a project with a graphic because it doesn't set the audio rate even though it appears to. The trick prior to 10.1 for a custom frame size was to edit within the Event library but if you set the frame size with a graphic then you get what looks and sounds right in the edit but it won't export with sound. It'll be silent.

Before 10.1 the best way for a custom frame size was to create an empty Motion project of the size you want and export that 10-second movie and use that custom movie as your starting point by importing it into the Event and then right-clicking on the movie to edit it on its own timeline. You'll be editing your piece in the Event library and not on the main timeline but it's sound will be there on export whereas if you had started with a still graphic the sound would not export. Start with that custom movie but then you can delete it once you have another piece of media in the timeline.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 2, 2014 at 12:47:25 pm

In any case I'm pretty sure they implemented the custom setting in 10.0.9. Give it a look and see if it's there in the project settings.

Return to posts index

Arya Boustani
on Jun 3, 2014 at 12:33:20 am

I tried in 10.0.9 and the only option other than 2K, 4K, etc size is under Other and in there it doesn't allow custom size. It is only a couple of lower resolution options. I just finished opening up more room in my Mavericks partition. Please let me know if there is a solution in 10.1.x.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:16:33 am

Yes. Choose custom and make any size you want. I think that's my third mention of it.

Return to posts index

Arya Boustani
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:13:28 am

Hi there,
I didn't need the audio for this particular clip so I just went ahead and used transform to scale the work to get rid of the circle right from the event library. It doesn't change the ratio so still I should be in 16:9 ratio (UHD project setting).
I went ahead and wanted to create a new compound clip. In there, there is custom setting that I can type the resolution, but I don't know how to see the cropped footage resolution in the earlier step. I rather maximize the resolution and use the real revolution so after the crop assuming 150% scaling in UHD resolution = (3840x2160) /1.5 = (2560x1440). If that's the case, I'm still slightly larger than 2.5K resolution (2432 x 1366), and I rather use the real resolution anyway. But there is no way to find out what exactly my resolution is after the crop. Is there?
Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]