FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupted Library

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Crist
Corrupted Library
on May 28, 2014 at 10:56:00 pm

I opened a library this morning that I have been working on for about a week now without any issues. However, everything inside the library is wrong. One of my events (Event 1) is completely gone and all of its media is inside another event (Event 2). The media and projects for Event 2 are completely gone. My 2 projects that should be in Event 1 are listed in Event 2, but under a heading called "no data."

I opened up my Library in Final Cut Library Manager 2 and everything appeared as it should there. I think somehow the Library database (or event databases) became corrupt but I cannot figure out how to rebuilt them. I tried loading a backup of this library from Monday, but it has the same problems. I tried deleting "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" inside the Library package, but this did not fix the problem. I tried deleting the "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" file inside the individual events and projects, but all that did was cause them to not appear in FCPX at all. I created a new library and copied over all of my files, but the new library shows the same issues. I also tried trashing my preferences and even deleted and reinstalled FCPX without success. I am running the latest builds of Mavericks and FCPX 10.1.

I really do not want to have to start over on these projects. Does anyone with experience with the new FCPX library system have any idea what is happening?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Corrupted Library
on May 29, 2014 at 12:46:02 am

Did you open the library, or do anything to it, with Library Manager or anything else prior to re-opening it and finding it corrupted?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Terry Crist
on May 29, 2014 at 1:38:31 am

No. I can't think of anything that would have triggered it.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 29, 2014 at 5:16:56 am

Did you try opening a back up project that FC saves automatically? Did you try trashing FC permissions?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Terry Crist
on May 29, 2014 at 4:49:14 pm

Yes, but the backup project had the same issue. Trashing permissions didn't help either.

What is really strange to me is that when I open the library package, the events are in separate folders as they should be, and the projects are in the right events with all of their data, but FCPX won't see it correctly.

At this point I think I have to go ahead and start over (there is probably some lesson about external backups in there), but I would like to know what happened in case this occurs again.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 29, 2014 at 5:53:44 pm

Check this thread... maybe not the same issue but worth a shot...

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/28931

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Cat Peterson
on Jul 30, 2014 at 7:30:03 pm

Hi, Where is the auto back-up file located?

Thanks!

Cat

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 30, 2014 at 8:06:01 pm

[Cat Peterson] "Where is the auto back-up file located?"

which version of FCP X are you using?

in the latest version, it's wherever you assigned it for that library.

if you highlight the library, you'll see a library properties window in the inspector with buttons that allow you to assign locations for media, cache (like render files) and backups.

by default in the older versions its in the movies folder of your system drive but you could have changed that.

one thing you might try is consolidating all your media which might give a fresh start if you are still having the same problem as when this thread began. that option is also in that library properties window.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Cat Peterson
on Jul 30, 2014 at 8:15:25 pm

Hi Craig,

Thanks so much. Contemplating suicide here: 2 years editing work is currently inaccessible.

Just uninstalled and reinstalled FCPX, so running the latest.

I found the back-up file. Tried opening one from a few days ago, when I know there was absolutely no issue.

No go.

I've been wondering if the project got to a size tipping point: it's at about 1 TB now.

So your suggestion about consolidation caught my attention...

Can I consolidate if I can't open the library?

If I can, could you point to me to where I might learn about efficient consolidation?

Many, many thanks.

My blade is sharpened, but I've not slit my own throat just yet...

: )

Thanks!

Cat

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:24:39 am

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcp-x-10-1-2-whats-new-in-media-management/

Once you pick a location to store Library Backups, don’t move the files manually. Library backups store relative path names to all media and cache files. Moving a backup manually can break those links.

another long shot: download "memory clean" app and see if that helps since we are talking about a fairly large project. How much room do you have over the 1TB on the drive that contains the project?

Return to posts index

Cat Peterson
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:47:34 am

Hi Craig,

Again, thanks.

In experimenting on my MacBook with moving FCPX data, I noticed that I could create a new Library, move projects, events, and media to it...

BUT...

... unless I also copied over the CurrentVersion.flexolibrary file, there was no access to the moved projects.

So I'm contemplating creating a new Library, then copying (in case it doesn't work) everything from the corrupt Library, and see if that NEW.fcpbundle will open.

Just dowloaded Memory Clean and tried it out on my MacBook. Looks good. Will do the same on my MacPro after unused files transfer (see below).

On the MacPro, how much free space beyond the 1 TB dedicated to the film?

Not sure...

But worried that space might be an issue, I found a huge amount of "back up" media that I could move to another multi TB drive. That transfer is currently underway.

So, I will soon have at least 2.5 TB free on the drive with the 1 TB film files. Fingers crossed this has something to do with it.

Again, thanks so much. Really appeciated.

Mahalo nui loa!

Cat

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:17:40 pm

How big was the drive itself and how much total stuff occupied it?

No drive on your system should be beyond 80% capacity. Less is better.

And when you start digging deeper into FCP X you might consider an external raid. A decent thunderbolt one can be had for $500.

And media drives should when you get around to it be wiped clean on occasion, reformatted even.

If the library itself was corrupted its possible the project file is fine.

If the last project file is corrupted then the latest auto back-up of it should be fine.

Please let me know what you try and results. No doubt I'll be going through this in the coming year.

I've, on occasion, solved things like this on the finder level but it's always nervous time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]