FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and my shiny new Mac Pro - hmmm could be, should be faster?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tangier Clarke
FCP X and my shiny new Mac Pro - hmmm could be, should be faster?
on May 28, 2014 at 5:00:00 pm

Folks, I am sitting here with my shiny new Mac Pro (specs below) and I was just wondering if anyone is having the same experience(s) I am having. With all of the reviews about how much a beast of a machine this is (and in many ways it is I am seeing that it is), my expectation was that FCP X, being optimized for this new Mac Pro would be blistering fast.

Well...

I've been reluctant to post this for a while, but it is baffling. FCP X 10.1.1 is still sluggish at times navigating on my storyline. The inspector is not always quick to respond to what i have selected in the storyline or event browser. I expected something very snappy and responsive. Though it is faster (especially coming from my last Mac Pro - 2009 2x2.26 Quad-core Intel Xeon station) and all of the reviews the performance I am experience is nowhere near what I've been reading about.

Specs:
Mac OS 10.9.3
FCP X 10.1.1
Mac Pro (winter 2013 model) 3.5 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon E5/ 32 GB RAM/ Dual AMD FirePro D700
Drives: Rocstor Arcitcroc Hybrid 7T, RAID 10 setup for 8 TB (so there's four 4TB drives in there) vis thunderbolt.
Two 24" displays.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: FCP X and my shiny new Mac Pro - hmmm could be, should be faster?
on May 28, 2014 at 5:24:00 pm

Does this apply?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/30458

anickt

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on May 28, 2014 at 5:41:22 pm

Yep that applies! Title generators take a while to load, among other things. It's unnerving to say the least to spend that much on a computer and have these issues with an app optimized for it.

Don't get me wrong, there are other apps that I use in my post workflow where I see tremendous gains using this new Mac Pro, i.e. Compressor. However some of the issues I thought would be gone after moving to this Mac Pro from my old one are still present and frankly, not that much improved for a machine that is capable of far more processing than my old one. In FCP X it seems some of the new processing heft doesn't apply to the entire app, just some features of it. Perhaps it's due to Mavericks, I can't say.

It's a little disappointing though.

Tangier

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on May 28, 2014 at 5:56:55 pm

I agree, Davinci Resolve seems to be optimized for the new MacPro but FCP X doesn't!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on May 28, 2014 at 6:10:51 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on May 28, 2014 at 6:11:34 pm

Hi Tangier,

Nick beat me to it, but simply reinstalling 10.9.3 (versus formatting and installation from scratch) from the recovery partition resolved this on both my new Mac Pro and my rMBP systems. You really should start there (do a backup of your Documents, but I didn't lose anything on either system).

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]