FCP X system lag and Mavericks 10.9.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Jones
FCP X system lag and Mavericks 10.9.3
on May 27, 2014 at 10:35:24 pm
Last Edited By Tim Jones on May 27, 2014 at 11:19:48 pm

Hi Folks,

Both my new Mac Pro and my rMBP systems succumbed to the spinning beach ball of death while working in FCP X 10.1.1 this past week after the 10.9.3 update. Any generators, titles, or fades added to a timeline made rendering ridiculous and the system would lag so badly that even mouse moves were being gobbled up. I disabled background renders, but it made no difference. Also, any added title, generator, or fade - builtin or plugin - caused the ever popular orange render bar for that segment of a project.

I went so far as to create a new project with a simple, 10 second still frame, added a 1 sec fade from black and then a 4 second Horizontal Blur title and things got very laggy while the effect was applied, skimming resulted in serious hopping and playback was nearly impossible.

On a whim, I rebooted into the recovery partition and reinstalled 10.9.3 as an install rather than an update. The install left my stuff intact (but I have good BRU backups, anyway), and things are now back to the way they were prior to the 10.9.3 update. No lag, no skipping frames while skimming, and playback is smooth as buttah!

Looks like another case of Apple's OS updater leaving things in a questionable state.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]