FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting ext hdds to "Ignore Permission" permanently for easier editing workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Lee
Setting ext hdds to "Ignore Permission" permanently for easier editing workflow
on May 27, 2014 at 2:41:41 pm

In OSX Mavericks, it looks like all the external hdds are set to the same internal permission. This is very troublesome when editing between Macs with different user accounts. Is there a way to permanently set it to "Ignore ownership" just like the older OSX 10.6 to 10.7? Now I constantly have to adjust the permission whenever I plug in the external hdd.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: Setting ext hdds to "Ignore Permission" permanently for easier editing workflow
on May 27, 2014 at 10:26:19 pm

Sam, what kind of drive is it (how's in connected)?

I use a couple of shared USB-3 and Thunderbolt drives with the permissions set to "Ignore ownership on this volume" and it is the same when I mount them on my New Mac Pro, rMBP, and my older 4,1.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Sam Lee
Re: Setting ext hdds to "Ignore Permission" permanently for easier editing workflow
on May 28, 2014 at 12:55:10 am

The ext USB3 hdd is your typical WD Passport 2 Tb. And it did retain the permission settings as I just find out.

I'm looking into the Vantec FW800 dock bays w/ the 4 Tb hdds. Not sure if these are the ones that will not preserve the permission setting. Didn't pay close attention to the type of external drive being plugged in.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on May 28, 2014 at 6:13:41 pm

I believe that you'll be fine with the other drives as well. The only time that I've seem permissions changing on my external drives is when OS X somehow got the idea that the drives were network volumes instead of local.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]