FORUMS: list search recent posts

Share -apple devices

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Share -apple devices
on May 25, 2014 at 7:55:01 pm

When sharing using the apple 720 or 1080 path from the sharing menu, the default file destination is the iTunes library and the actual output file goes into a folder in the shared folder inside the FCPX library. Is there any way to designate an output destination of one's choosing if you don't want the file to go to the iTunes library or the shared folder inside the FCPX library. It seems like these presets necessitate a lot of extra digging just to get the the output file and do something useful with it.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Share -apple devices
on May 26, 2014 at 12:54:49 am

answering my own question : select when done "do nothing" and then you can determine where your shared file goes.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 26, 2014 at 6:37:58 pm

; )

It's the little things, isn't it?

I'm about 400 pages into the new X Professional Post curriculum and I think I've stumbled across at least 25 things that I'd either completely missed or that I was doing in a more complicated way than I needed to - and that's after 3 years of near daily use!

The biggest thing I've learned is that I'm still a good distance from knowing everything about how X works.

Particularly about many things I *thought* I understood simply because I could work with the program very effectively - only to learn that there are different/better ways than the ways I stumbled into when I was learning it on my own.

Go figure.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 27, 2014 at 4:47:04 am

My new favorite FCP X tool, though I'm not as experienced as you, is the transform tool. Once I learned that you can use the timeline to auto create keyframes, the viewer to reframe the result, and the inspector to set parameters, it became a really easy way to reframe, zoom, pan and even cut between shots that were not there in the raw footage. It's the interaction between these windows that allows for a powerful efficient workflow. It also made me realize why 4K would be a very good thing even if the project was not distributed in 4K. If you start with a WS and decide to transform to CUs, moving or otherwise, you loose resolution. In 4K, this would be mostly an insignificant loss.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 28, 2014 at 6:59:00 am

Yep. And before you migrate to 4k you can do the "junior" version of this just with 1920x1080 footage in a 720 storyline.

Reframing and basic pan/zoom looks fine unless you push it too far.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 29, 2014 at 5:12:24 am

I'm using it in almost all my edits now. Good framing is to me more important than the loss in resolution. I've pretty much let FC decide on the setting in the timeline based on the original footage upon import. (unlike FCP 7 where I would make decisions upon import). According to the inspector info tab, the footage is 1920 x 1080 29.97p. I'm not sure but I did notice in previous versions of FCP X that the metadata about the media in the inspector is based on the original media rather than the transcoded or rewrapped media. Are you suggesting I'd do better transcoding to a 720p timeline if I'm going to be transforming WS to CUs?

Here's more info: I opened one of the rewrapped clips in QT player and the QT inspector gave this report:

Do you think I'd do better in 720p?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]