FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy Entire Library to New Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Copy Entire Library to New Drive
on May 23, 2014 at 3:14:54 pm

Ok, so I am excited about 10.1 and how it simplifies file mgmt. Or at least, I thought. I went to copy a folder that houses everything I need for my project (Library, Projects, Events, Assets). I copied the folder to a new drive...but when I opened the library on the new drive, I had to relink/search for everything.

Is there a better/easier way to do this?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Copy Entire Library to New Drive
on May 23, 2014 at 6:03:59 pm

You need to copy the library from within FCPX, for it to create the new links. Moving things manually will lead to some reconnecting at some point.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

James Cude
on May 23, 2014 at 6:14:19 pm

It also depends whether you are storing original media within the Library or leaving in place.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 23, 2014 at 8:18:05 pm

Yep. If it's linked to external, that's part of the point, to always point to the same external media.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 24, 2014 at 4:27:41 am

With 10.1 you no longer copy within Final Cut. You should do it in the Finder.

What you don't understand is that a Library ORGANIZES everything but may not CONTAIN everything.

If you imported files with 'Leave in Place' then those files won't actually be inside the Library.

The best workflow is to Finder copy the Library to a new drive. Mount the COPY and CONSOLIDATE IN. That will replace any reference media inside the Library with the real media so that it'll be there when that copy of the Library walks out the door.

You can easily see for yourself if you have to consolidate the Library. Right-click on the Library file in the finder and select 'Open Package Contents'. Once 'inside' the Library look in the original media folder. If you see icons with hooked arrows on them, those are reference files and not the actual media. Once you see no hooked-arrow icons in the original media folder, then that Library is good to travel.

Once caveat is custom effects. If you may not have the same custom effects on the remote computer then those effects you used on the original computer won't show up. You might want to take along a copy of your Motion Templates folder which is located inside the Movies folder on your boot drive.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 24, 2014 at 10:53:00 am

You're right Don, I got something confused (since I don't get to use that much this year !%#!§#!!!!)

My workflow from within FCPX 10.1 is to create a new Library and then copy the Events to the new Library. Then I consolidate the new Library.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]