FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X memory leak?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
FCP X memory leak?
on May 22, 2014 at 7:03:49 pm

As many have mentioned, they will reboot FCP X when it starts to get a bit sluggish. I'm cutting a basic scene of cuts only stuff and have a little memory app up in my toolbar monitoring the free memory. On an iMac with 32gigs and FCP X open, it starts off with 22-27gigs of free memory. After editing just half an hour, it can drop down to 10gigs. Even before that it starts to get sluggish. It shouldn't be gobbling up 20gigs of memory for a basic edit. I quit the app, and reboot. 23gigs available again. Seems to me something ain't right.

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: FCP X memory leak?
on May 22, 2014 at 7:20:22 pm

Some other aspects that can affect memory usage- compound clips, projects started in earlier versions/imported via XML, lots of keywords/favoriting, etc.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 23, 2014 at 3:23:18 pm

And importing I guess! After importing a couple C300 cards, I'm now left with 3 gigs of memory available. When I opened the app, I started with 24gigs available. If I try to open PS or AE or Motion now, there is extremely little memory left for those apps. During the import process, free memory actually dropped to 800 megs! FCP X is sucking up every resource and then not giving much back. Very politically incorrect of it.

Return to posts index

James Cude
on May 23, 2014 at 6:10:53 pm
Last Edited By James Cude on May 23, 2014 at 6:11:19 pm

Highly resource intensive would be the politically correct term.

Return to posts index

Hans Douma
on Oct 8, 2014 at 10:26:03 am

When FCPX is running for some time, it will start using more and more CPU as well, even if all background tasks are killed. Restarting it will temporarily "solve" this.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 26, 2014 at 3:15:09 pm

Which sadly is the very workflow that FCP X uses in place of tracks. Another thing I'm finding is FCP X preferences need to be trashed now and then or else it gets buggy like skimming greyed out and won't toggle on and off. The real gotcha for me is when I try to open a library in a different user account, normal clips appear as compound clips and media that is on-line goes off-line or needs to be reconnected etc. I think these are all permission issues though I can't imagine how a non-compound clip is seen as a compound based on permission issues. Though permission corruption has always yielded strange issues way before FCP X.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on May 23, 2014 at 10:03:21 pm

Any 3rd party plugins involved?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]