FORUMS: list search recent posts

'project' has missing or offline titles, effects or generators etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
'project' has missing or offline titles, effects or generators etc
on May 21, 2014 at 12:44:45 pm

I have an hour long multicam project with a few titles and nothing from the effects browser nor any generators that I am aware of. I wanted to 'Share' but up comes the message:

I went through the 'Share' process anyway and all seems OK. The titles are fine and so, as far as I can see, is everything else. Is there anywhere I can find out what exactly the message is referring to?

Thanks in advance!

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
Re: 'project' has missing or offline titles, effects or generators etc
on May 21, 2014 at 6:32:30 pm

Open the timeline index, scroll down and see if there are any exclamation points anywhere.

You can also export an FCPXML of your project, open it up in a text editor and search for the following instances:
~/Compositions.localized/
~/Effects.localized/
~/Generators.localized/
~/Titles.localized/
~/Transitions.localized/

Make sure that for any Motion element it's referencing, you do indeed have that (exact) filename in that location.

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 22, 2014 at 9:59:28 am

I much appreciate your suggestions and I've learned some new things in the process but this is a bit strange.. No exclamation marks anywhere in the Timeline Index for that project, and only the line below containing the character string "localized" in the XML:

On top of that I haven't used Motion anywhere near this whole Library.

Do you think there might be somewhere else I could look? The exported mov looks OK but maybe there is something lurking in there...

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 22, 2014 at 12:31:40 pm
Last Edited By Brian Thomas on May 22, 2014 at 1:17:20 pm

Sorry, here's that line again with the less than/greater than characters changed to open/close brackets. (the line got suppressed when I tried to post it earlier)

(effect id="r12" name="Pixie Dust" uid=".../Titles.localized/Build In:Out.localized/Pixie Dust.localized/Pixie Dust.moti"/)

Return to posts index

Jerome Raim
on May 22, 2014 at 2:42:55 pm

Hey Brian,
Hmm...! Assuming FCP X isn't confused and there is actually a missing component, I believe this is the only way to figure out what that is:

1. Make a new project (sequence) with matching specs within that same library. Open the timeline inspector.
2. Toggle back to your original project, select the first 10-20 (or so) clips via the timeline inspector --> Cmd+C
3. Toggle to your empty project (Cmd + ] or [ ) --> paste
4. Try exporting/sharing (figure out a keyboard shortcut to make this go faster)
5. If no warning appears, repeat steps 1 through 4 till you find the cluster that has the problematic element.

Jerome Raim
Post-Production
JeromeRaim.com

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 22, 2014 at 2:49:46 pm

Neat, thanks! I might even try first half, if problem, then first quarter and so on narrowing it down the other way. Could be lucky early on either way. Many thanks for the idea.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 22, 2014 at 4:03:12 pm

Pixie Dust is a transition effect. The transitions generator in X (as well as the titler) are subsets of Apples Motion code.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 23, 2014 at 2:09:20 pm

Ah ha! Everything around the three places where I've used that effect seems to have been 'shared' OK despite the message.

What is more strange is that Jeremy's advice to identify the problem area results in every single clip being bad news. BUT, the 'Master file (default)' seems just fine. It was my first full-length project using FCPX and maybe I did something weird when creating the multicam project. I'm not going to pursue it further - I'll see how the current, larger project goes while regularly attempting to 'Share' it.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Return to posts index

Chris Faber
on Apr 10, 2015 at 11:41:23 pm

This is a year later, but I have a diagnosis as to at least one cause for the "missing or offline titles, effects or generators" message, and an effective solution whatever the cause. I had this come up, did a search, didn't find a clear answer and then troubleshooted on my own.

In my case I had a clip with an "unsharp mask" filter on it that I had applied when the library was on another computer. This is a filter that I published to Final Cut from Motion so I could use it more easily. As near as I can tell when you do that, then bring the library to another instance of Final Cut, it doesn't see the filter anymore, and hence it is "missing".

A key piece of information here is that it still won't see it if you also publish the filter, in my case the unsharp mask, from Motion to FCPX, on the new computer. So what I had was an unsharp mask filter applied when I was on another computer, a unsharp mask in my effects window that I published after moving to this computer -- and Final Cut Pro doesn't recognize them as the same thing. The unsharp mask I have applied in the project is still "missing."

I know this is true for unsharp mask, but may also be true for other filters. Likely so.

Here's how you find your offending clip with an offending effect -- or any cause of this message I should think. Create a snapshot of your project, open that, then go through a series of "Boolean deletes". Start by deleting the 2nd half of your timeline. Try to export. If it starts to let you, you know that the problem is in the 2nd half of the timeline. If it doesn't let you, undo, then delete the first half of the timeline and try to export. If it lets you, then you know the problem is in the first half. You can keep narrowing down to smaller and smaller sections this way, until clip by clip you find it. It's quite a fast technique.

This will work even if you've got a problematic filter applied all over the place. You'll keep paring down, not being able to export, but suddenly you will. Undo and continue to narrow this way. In the end you'll still have a single clip with one example of the offending filter (if it's a filter). Then you know to look for that filter throughout the timeline, delete them here and there to test, and hopefully problem solved.

Hope this is helpful.

Chris Faber
Faber Productions
http://www.faberproductions.com

Return to posts index

Chad Greene
on Apr 6, 2016 at 6:04:50 pm

Chris Faber thank you for helping me solve this problem. Your process of elimination was a great way to solve it (and faster than I expected). You saved me a ton of time.

Chad Greene : Mahoney Media : Minneapolis, Minnesota : 2x2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 12GB Ram, OS 10.9 FCPX, Kona-LHi

Return to posts index

Chris Hunziker
on Aug 20, 2017 at 10:56:11 am

Almost 2 years later, this articles were very helpful, mainly the elimination process (thanks Chris).
Just to add to it:
I had exported the over one hour project anyway (ignoring the warning). So I opened the shared .mov in QuickTime and played it in fast mode. The threaded red "Missing File" flashed up and thanks to the timecode I could go back to FCPX and find the problem (a missing effect) in no time.

Chris Hunziker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]