FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I Import Just a Portion of a Clip?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Can I Import Just a Portion of a Clip?
on May 20, 2014 at 9:31:00 pm

I keep running out of hard drive space, seems these files get bloated when going from their original codec of AVCHD into X. If I only want a few seconds of a clip that is in the 4-8GB range, can I do in and out points and click Import Selected? That would help me.

Thanks for your answer.

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: Can I Import Just a Portion of a Clip?
on May 20, 2014 at 10:50:11 pm

Yes, you can. I do it most of the time. In order to save disk space, you can choose not to transcode the clips. I found both my 2008 MP and my 2011 MBP can deal with non optimized or transcoded AVCHD media with no problems, at least for documentary style editing. It's a huge saving on disk space.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 11:52:05 pm

I concur. As long as you're using a fairly recent macbook or iMac, there's not a lot of benefit to optimizing. You can always transcode later. Why bother up front? See how it performs.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 21, 2014 at 1:53:26 am

Ned,

The GENERAL answer is yes. There are, however some circumstances where X will NOT allow you to capture via RANGE selection. Because X is database driven, the software prizes import from "whole card" forms where ALL the metadata is properly contained in a structure it can read. And X does not read EVERY card structure perfectly.

Basically, if X can' understand the clip structure on the card - it should be able to target ranges for isolated import. But if X does NOT understand a particular cards format - you may have to either import the entire card and let X re-configure the files so it's system functions with them.

Obviously, if you face that, it's always possible to transcode and/or repackage field footage into X friendly file types like ProRes PRIOR to import. But that's seldom required, IME.

Basic on-line research can reveal if the card or drive format you're using is fully - partially - or not particularly FCP-X ingest friendly.

Most popular ones are.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 21, 2014 at 2:15:05 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on May 21, 2014 at 2:16:47 am

But not Sony XDcam EX, unfortunately. Correct? It can select ranges on import with Sony transcoding software, but you will end up with much larger ProRes files.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Eugeny Korkhin
on May 21, 2014 at 5:27:46 am

There should be no problems importing portions of xdcam ex footage without transcoding (it only rewraps to .mov) using FCPX interface. Make sure you have sony drivers installed.
Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 21, 2014 at 6:03:29 pm

[Eugeny Korkhin] "There should be no problems importing portions of xdcam ex footage without transcoding"

Can confirm.

I did a quick turn 3 day on-site edit for a large corporate conference by hooking an external P2 card reader to my MacBookPro and ingesting directly into X. The workflow was simple.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 26, 2014 at 3:36:55 pm

Why not consolidate your projects and get them off your hard drive onto a back-up drive? Edits will process faster and you won't be hitting the wall all the time. OWC has a basic 4TB raid which runs in FCP X very fast.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/Elite-Dual-RA....

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]