FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10.1 Renames My Files Upon Import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
FCP 10.1 Renames My Files Upon Import
on May 20, 2014 at 6:03:25 am

Why is FCP 10.1 renaming my .mov files when I import? It's renaming it from "MVI-6175.mov" to "2014-05-09 17_36_10 (id).mov". I don't want this. I want the original file name. Thx.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP 10.1 Renames My Files Upon Import
on May 20, 2014 at 4:24:03 pm

If you need to rename the files in FCPX, select them, open the inspector, find the info tab, and on the bottom right of the inspector, you'll see a drop down menu called "Apply Custom Name".

Choose "Original Name from Camera" and all the clips you have selected in the browser will rename.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on May 20, 2014 at 4:26:22 pm

That only renames them in the FCP X database. The actual file name stays the same.

Its been a personal bug bear of mine since V1 but I've learned to live with it.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 4:36:28 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Its been a personal bug bear of mine since V1 but I've learned to live with it."

Jeff K didn't specify where the files were renaming.

If you don't want the files to rewrap and then subsequently get renamed, that would depend on the format.

MVI_#### usually indicates a DSLR of some sort, which means there's less reasons to rewrap.

If you don't want the files to rename upon rewrap, then you need to bypass the import window, drag the media in to an Event and make sure the cursor looks like an alias arrow and not a big green plus sign.

If you are shooting a camera where rewrap is essential, then you will have to use the method outlined above.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on May 20, 2014 at 4:39:19 pm

Thx Jeremy! But what's this rewrapping stuff? Aren't the majority of people using FCP using DSLR's? I don't understand.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 4:42:13 pm

[Jeff Krieger] "Aren't the majority of people using FCP using DSLR's?"

I have no idea! :)

[Jeff Krieger] "But what's this rewrapping stuff?"

When you use the import window, FCPX will rewrap DSLR material because the Import window will add tc from the THM files to the rewrapped .mov.

If you don't need the TC, then you don't have to rewrap.

Newer DSLR cameras have tc embedded in the file which is less reason to rewrap.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on May 20, 2014 at 5:03:22 pm

Ha. Thx. So, are you saying if I hadn't included the THM files in there, it wouldn't have rewrapped? Maybe they were in there. I don't remember. But the files were already .mov. It never did this before 10.1 that I remember. Thx again for your help!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 5:15:31 pm

[Jeff Krieger] "So, are you saying if I hadn't included the THM files in there, it wouldn't have rewrapped?"

FCPX recognizes the DSLR folder structure when using the import window, yes.

What DSLR are you using and is tc important to you?

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on May 20, 2014 at 5:42:14 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I usually copy to a drive first then import. Last night I imported straight from the card. Aha. Maybe if I delete the THM files off the card first. Timecode is not important to me usually. I use a 5D Mark II.

Maybe I should start a post about workflow with 10.1. Am wondering if it's better to package the files or not with 10.1. And just generally how folks do it. Do you have one you like?

Thx again!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 5:43:53 pm

[Jeff Krieger] "Ok, that makes sense. I usually copy to a drive first then import. Last night I imported straight from the card. Aha. Maybe if I delete the THM files off the card first. Timecode is not important to me usually. I use a 5D Mark II."

I wouldn't delete the THM files, but you can bypass the import window by using drag and drop and the files won't rewrap.

[Jeff Krieger] "Am wondering if it's better to package the files or not with 10.1. "

What do you mean, exactly?

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on May 20, 2014 at 5:44:54 pm

When you import in 10.1, you have the choice to include the files into the library or not.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 5:48:04 pm

[Jeff Krieger] "When you import in 10.1, you have the choice to include the files into the library or not."

I, typically do not import the files in to the Library as we need access to it from multiple machines.

Even if I do need to rewrap, I keep the media external.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on May 20, 2014 at 5:57:58 pm

Jeremy, I would really be interested in your workflow. Here's the way I'm leaning...

- Create Library, Events, Projects
- Import into FCP (copy files into the same folder where the library is housed)
- Copy this entire folder onto another drive for archive/safety

What do you do?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 7:20:19 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on May 20, 2014 at 8:56:31 pm

Similar method but all media is external instead of managed.

This is what I typically do, but it is by no means the only way to do it:

First, I create a folder that will house everything I need for this job. I create a Library and save the library in that folder. I then create a folder called "Footage" and in that, I make another folder called "RawFootage" and in there goes all camera original media in their card structures.

For some cameras (like Sony F55/F5) I have an MXF plugin that allows me to read the MXF files natively so I don't have to rewrap, so I import those and choose to "leave files in place".

When I do need to rewrap, I put all footage in a "WrappedFootage" folder that resides in the original "Footage" folder, and when I import, the footage is rewrapped to .mov.

The initial Library is then moved locally from the SAN to the machine that needs it and editing begins.

Once complete, the local libraries get moved back to the SAN and the folder that has everything in it, gets archived to LTO. Footage and any necessary files are backed up locally as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on May 21, 2014 at 10:49:38 pm

Jeremy,

I had a similar problem where FCPX wrapped the media from a 5D Mark 3 and gave it a similar title to the ones Jeff encountered. The problem came up when my raid went down (raid 0) and I had to re-build the project from the original media. Now many of the clips are not connecting since the pointers in the project timeline (Pointing to wrapped media) will not find the files that have been re-imported from the camera originals. Is there any way to change the names in the timeline? I have the same issue with XDCAM footage used in the project as well.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2014 at 3:14:13 pm

[Bill Paris] "Now many of the clips are not connecting since the pointers in the project timeline (Pointing to wrapped media) will not find the files that have been re-imported from the camera originals. Is there any way to change the names in the timeline?"

Clip name should not effect a relink.

If you reimport, you should first try the "Import > Reimport from Camera/Archive".

If this doesn't work, then you have to reimport with a new Library, set the destination files to a new folder and then relink to those clips.

You can also choose to import to the current Library, but relink is trickier since you can't access the Library contents from the relink window. In this case, you have to create a link to the Original Media folder on your sidebar or desktop after importing, but before starting the link process. Hope that makes sense.

You can't automatically batch rename clips in the timeline as they are a separate instance. You can match back and then replace (shift-f, then shit-r) but this will cause you to lose any split edits, audio component choices, any automation/filters, etc, so it's not prefect.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2014 at 3:30:40 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If you reimport, you should first try the "Import > Reimport from Camera/Archive"."

By the way, if Import > Reimport form Camera/Archive doesn't work, it's usually because the location of the card has changed since the first time you imported it.

Sometimes, you can add the cards to the "Favorites" section of the Import window, and then the Reimport function will work.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bill Paris
on May 22, 2014 at 11:22:10 pm

Jeremy,

Thank you for your help, I'll give these a try and let you know if I can make it work.

Thanks again!

Bill

Bill Paris
Producer/Director of Photography
Crew Hawaii Television
http://www.crewhawaii.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]