FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time line philosophy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Time line philosophy?
on May 19, 2014 at 11:12:10 pm

IS it best to keep the primary story line the place where most clips reside? For instance if there is a gap clip which has a connected clip above it and you like that clip is it best to push it down to the primary and minimize the amount of connections ?
FWIW Sometimes I think FCPX is a lot like media 100 used to be in terms of time line layers.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Time line philosophy?
on May 20, 2014 at 12:48:34 am

[Mark Smith] "IS it best to keep the primary story line the place where most clips reside? For instance if there is a gap clip which has a connected clip above it and you like that clip is it best to push it down to the primary and minimize the amount of connections"

It really depends on how you want to work. Personally I'll rough out little sections as connected clips, then drop them into the primary as I go. I like that I can use the ripple-mode-ish behavior of the primary when I want, but can easily pop things in and out as needed. I don't think there's a "best" way...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 20, 2014 at 3:30:56 am

Honestly, it varies based on project. Sometimes I'll throw VO tracks into the primary and then cover roughly with connected clips. Then drop all the connecteds into the primary and trim from there (which pushes the VO into connecteds below.

Other times, I work out of clips in the primary and add pieces in as connected clips, sometimes throwing them into secondaries and sometimes even compound clips.

I find the process to be fairly fluid depending on the nature of my project.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 20, 2014 at 4:10:20 am

[Andy Neil] "I find the process to be fairly fluid depending on the nature of my project."

Agreed, that's one of things I like most about cutting in X. You can work differently depending on the project. A music driven cut vs doc style vs narrative vs sizzle. They're all different styles really, and you can work in whatever fashion suits the cut. I find the X timeline to more of a "canvas" in the true sense of the term than any other NLE. So yeah, no real best way to work... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 20, 2014 at 9:05:07 am

Plus it's so liberating to know that you can so easily work in discrete sections - assembling video on the primary for a while, for example, then deciding you maybe want to toss a bunch of audio clips on the primary next so you can cut that magnetically as the "section timekeeper" (perhaps cutting something like complex field interviews) then go right back to video in the primary for the next section... It feels to me like flexible story building the way I decide I want and need to - instead of how the fixed track arrangement says I should.

And if you're working with footage with embedded audio like everything above the DSLR class, having married audio and video that can't slip sync unless you do it by design just makes life ever so much easier if you do a lot of sync sound work.

So many "oh, this is actually BETTER!" fundamentals at work now.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]