FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX: Covert to Apple ProRes from H264?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Golder
FCPX: Covert to Apple ProRes from H264?
on May 19, 2014 at 5:33:20 pm

Hi there,

I understand that usually with H.264 footage shot on DSLR is better covered to ApplePro Res to edit with. I just wondering if this is still necessary with FCX. FCX seems to be doing a lot of transcoding in the background when you import H.264 footage. Is this convert to an equivalent editable codec?
Is it still advisable to convert to ProRes?

If so, what is the best way of doing that these days? I usually do in FCP6 or MPEG stream clip

Also if you do edit a film in FCPX with your H.264 files THEN export as ProsRes when your done, will the end project be the same as is would be having editing as Prores files. And what are the pitfalls of doing it that way round to save time/space?

If anyone can clarify these conundrum I'd be very grateful.

many thanks

Ewan

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: FCPX: Covert to Apple ProRes from H264?
on May 19, 2014 at 6:30:36 pm

People on this forum are probably tired of my opinion on this, but here it is again: if you shoot documentary and have enormous shoot-to-use ratio, it is time-consuming and storage-space prohibitive to "optimize" everything you shot. FCPX will handle the AVCHD and similar formats well enough to play back and make some selects. You can convert the selects to ProRes. HOWEVER, if you have a multi cam shoot or want to composite, title or effect the shots right away, you'll want to optimize. Unless you have a lot of CPU horsepower, the h.264 codec is very demanding.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 19, 2014 at 7:26:36 pm

It's hardly demanding at all if you're using a modern processor. IE iMac i7 or NMP. A MacPro just doesn't seem to cut it.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 19, 2014 at 7:46:29 pm

Good to hear. I have found the proxy really helps with multi cam editing on a (recent) MBP. But as per your comment, definitely ingest and look at the stuff natively before making a transcode decision. I regular shoot verite style, which means the camera may run for 6 hours but with one pass I can find the bits I will likely use, and have .5 of selects, to be eventually chopped to a 6-7 minute piece. And if its light on effects, no multi cam, I never transcode to ProRes at all -- until the final output.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 19, 2014 at 10:43:43 pm

The main reason the 'legacy' mac pro doesn't handle h.264 as well as an iMac or MBP is that the Xeon processors do not have hardware h.264 decoding built in.

Are there any upgrade GPUs that have it? I think the 7950 does.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 1:28:42 am

MacPros don't have grand central dispatch support. One of the key technologies FCP X uses in conjunction with avx found in sandy and ivy bridge processors, which are not found on the original MacPros.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on May 20, 2014 at 2:10:42 am

[Bret Williams] "MacPros don't have grand central dispatch support. One of the key technologies FCP X uses in conjunction with avx found in sandy and ivy bridge processors, which are not found on the original MacPros."

Really? My understanding is that any multi-core intel mac can utilize GCD. (Although those with hyperthreading do a better job)

the Xeon CPUs in the nMP don't have hardware accelerated h.264 support either, but the D300s-D700s do.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 4:10:32 pm

Just sandy/ivy bridge (and I assume later).

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 4:23:34 pm

Maybe my tech speak isn't perfect. Here's a screen shot from 2011. Don't you love the wayback machine?

I think I was wrong and you were right. it means grand central has ADDITIONAL avx capabilities on sandy bridge. Which has generally been the consensus that that's the reason the older MacPros don't perform as well as the iMacs/laptops with X.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 21, 2014 at 3:24:24 am

Right, it is the AVX support that is key. My 2011 Macbook Pro 17" is faster than my Hexacore 2012 Mac Pro. But both are way slower than the Mac Pro 2013 Hexacore.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on May 21, 2014 at 7:44:23 pm

I like editing in prores. It's faster on my older system.

FCPX likes to auto transcode your files on import. That's probably what's going on in the background.

Check your import preferences to change that.

Prores takes up a lot more space, but can always be deleted and regenerated as needed.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]