FORUMS: list search recent posts

Library contents split over 2 or 3 external drives?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Thomas
Library contents split over 2 or 3 external drives?
on May 17, 2014 at 9:05:42 am

Probably a dumb question but as you're all so tolerant here I thought I'd try asking... It's just that this 'project' is the biggest I've undertaken.

I'm using 5 camcorders for five performances of a local amateur two hour event and what with optimised and proxy data my 4 GB Thunderbolt drive is filling up steadily. Will I be able to simply have a few performances on another fast external drive and somehow get the optimised and proxy files for them on the other drive(s) to balance things out? Is it just a case of have a new library opening up on the other drive(s) and having it/them open when editing? Can I create individual projects gather a mix of optimised/proxy clips from multiple libraries?

FCPX and PPro 6. iMac 24 + MBP 17". Near Geneva, Switzerland

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Library contents split over 2 or 3 external drives?
on May 17, 2014 at 1:35:16 pm

What camcorders are you using?

The optimized media is what is taking up all the space.

I'd do away with the optimized, edit with original or proxy, and optimize at the end.

I wish FCPX would allow the storage to optimized media outside of the library.

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 17, 2014 at 1:51:19 pm

AVCHD.

The more I think about it perhaps, I'm thinking, two or more Libraries would be the answer. I'd like to try it but we've got guests for lunch and I can't get away for more than a message!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2014 at 3:42:04 pm

I think that you should do away with the Optimized media for now.

If you have multiple libraries, the media will need to be copied from one library to another once you start adding media to the project.

The Optimized media will nearly quintuple the size, while Proxy media will just over double it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 19, 2014 at 4:46:29 pm

OK but I thought that with multicam projects based on AVCHD I was obliged to have both optimised and proxy files, no?

So could I do a multicam project with ONLY proxy files?

Just a bit of background in case it's relevant: the eventual output will be a) DVDs and b) an HD 'master' for subsequent editing/archiving.

Soon it will be decided which individual performance will be the basis for the whole multicam project. Inevitably even in that performance there will be things that went gone wrong and for those moments I will switch to another multicam performance where it did go right.

My motto is "giving them the show they always wanted but never actually managed to achieve."

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2014 at 4:53:21 pm

[Brian Thomas] "OK but I thought that with multicam projects based on AVCHD I was obliged to have both optimised and proxy files, no?"

You don't have to. Try using the original media first. If that isn't working out, switch to Proxy.

Then switch back to original to make your masters.

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 20, 2014 at 1:45:35 pm

I tried with just the original media and that was a bit jumpy and so I created the proxy files ONLY and that works incredibly well! And thanks for the tip about switching back to the original media before doing any 'Shares'. My first 'Share' was still on proxy media and that was a bit of a shock!

I can't think who told me/where I read that I always had to have Optimized media as well as Proxy but now I know - MANY thanks Jeremy.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 20, 2014 at 4:00:40 pm

[Brian Thomas] "I can't think who told me/where I read that I always had to have Optimized media as well as Proxy but now I know "

If you have the drive space and throughput, it's not bad advice. You, personally, have a lot of media and need to playback 5 streams at once.

ProRes Proxy is going to be much more efficient in terms of disk space and throughput.

You can always export a ProRes master from your original media, which will encode the media you need instead of transcoding every frame to ProRes before the edit.

Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brian Thomas
on May 21, 2014 at 9:39:07 am

It makes perfect sense, thanks. So I started from scratch and reimported everything, created my multicam clip and found that the fcpbundle had gone up to about a terabyte for just one performance! Over night I remembered seeing a parameter somewhere which said something about "creating optimised media for multicam clips", found it in the Preferences, reimported yet again and now the fcpbundle is 'only' 187GB so I should be OK to have several performances on the one convenient 4TB drive.

I really appreciate all your help Jeremy - I'll be back! :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]