FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac OS X 10.9.3 update seems to have changed the rules for monitors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Smith
Mac OS X 10.9.3 update seems to have changed the rules for monitors
on May 15, 2014 at 7:14:50 pm

Unless I'm missing something it appears that Mavericks 10.9.3 tightened the parameters on using multiple monitors and I can't run all three monitors that I could run an hour ago before the OS update.

I've got a new 2013 Mac Pro. I've been running three monitors; two 30" monitors using the Mini DVI to Dual Link Display port adaptor here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dv...

..and an output monitor on the HDMI port.

After the 10.9.3 update the new Mac Pro will only recognize two monitors. Any two but only two.

I have not change the arrangement of the ports either. I have the two 30" displays plugged into (1) the upper left TB port and the other (2) is in the upper right TB port. This puts them on separate buses. The HDMI port has nothing plugged into it (this includes the bottom two TB ports on the same bus as the HDMI port) except an HD monitor.

The Displays preference pane will only see two monitors after the OS 10.9.3 update.

Or, am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
Re: Mac OS X 10.9.3 update seems to have changed the rules for monitors
on May 15, 2014 at 8:20:25 pm

All fine here with my rMBP. Had to use alt-key in display prefs for my HP Dreamcolor to change the res back to 1080p to use it as my third monitor and full screen output for FCP X through the HDMI port.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 15, 2014 at 8:40:03 pm

Jari, I suspect that the update doesn't like the 30" monitors I'm running even though they are connected using an active adaptor. But it worked before the update. Please know that I'm not saying the update won't run three monitors. I'm just saying it won't run my set of three monitors.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

James Brown
on May 16, 2014 at 12:10:40 am

I have the same problem here. Two 24" NEC screens and a 30" Dell U3011 which is connected via the fancy powered adapter.

I can only have two screens working at once. Eg after I upgraded to 10.9.3 the 30" was black but both the NECs worked. Disconnected one of the NECs and the Dell worked.

Looks like no Apple developer uses more than two screens. And no-one in the public beta program either.

If you are a developer, file a bug report so that hopefully it will be fixed soon. That's what I'm doing.

Return to posts index

Tom Wyrick
on May 16, 2014 at 12:54:40 am

I, too, can confirm this issue with a new Mac Pro with dual D500 video (doubt that matters though).
As soon as I upgraded to OS X 10.9.3, I lost my third display. I'm using 3 identical 27" LG monitors running at 1920x1080 resolution. One connected directly via the HDMI port on the Mac Pro, one via a Mini-DP to HDMI passive dongle/adapter, and the third via Apple's $99 Dual link DVI to Mini-DP adapter.

This especially irritates me because I never ran more than 2 displays before, until I invested in this new Mac Pro. That's when I decided I may as well splurge with it and get a third matching display screen, and a triple monitor VESA mounting bracket to put them on. That's when I discovered the nMP had the limitation of requiring one of your connections to be active vs. passive if you want more than 2 displays, so I went out and spent the $99 on the dual-link DVI to Mini DP contraption. Now, only a few weeks after getting that all going -- I'm back to 2 monitors again anyway!

I did file a bug report with Apple, BTW. We'll see how quickly this gets fixed ....

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on May 16, 2014 at 2:56:58 am

Mavericks 10.9.3 has also affected dual display on my early 2009 Mac Pro. At first only one monitor responded. The menu bar was greyed out and I couldn't move the cursor across the two displays. I went into System Prefs and tried dragging displays, gathering displays, mirroring all to no avail. I then restarted, tried it again and it appears to be working now. However, Monitor # 1 is on the left and # 2 on the right. I can't seem to swap them. For some strange reason I had set # 1 on the right and #2 on the left.

I just finished working on a project last night. At first glance, FCP X appears quicker, more responsive after upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.3.

Return to posts index

Arthur Solari
on May 16, 2014 at 10:35:01 am

Same thing here. Using 2 19" Samsung with active dualinl dvi- mini display and 40" Samsung to HDMI all on separate busses! Completely absurd on Apple's part.

Return to posts index

Steve Guluk
on May 16, 2014 at 6:38:15 pm

Same here... Lost my second monitor

10.9.3 killed my second monitor (Dell U2412M)

Now I can only boot into one or the other (Primary is a 27" LED Apple Display).

Late 2013 Mac Pro with dual D700s

Encouraged to hear some people are running two monitors. I'm on separate busses for each but can only restart into one or the other :-(

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 17, 2014 at 1:44:27 pm

More info here: https://discussions.apple.com/message/25803326#25803326

Return to posts index

Arthur Solari
on May 19, 2014 at 6:42:23 pm

Downgrading to 10.9.2 via the recovery drive(without affecting any installed apps&plugins) seems to be the best quick fix. Apple Senior Tech.'s recommended as well.

And to be fair Applecare's response was quite good and helpful. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon; so we can upgrade.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 19, 2014 at 6:45:47 pm

Now that I've updated my 12-core new Mac Pro at home I can report it does NOT have a problem with the three monitors attached to it. Yet the three-monitor problem persists on my work 6-core new Mac Pro at work.

I've tried downloading the Combo 10.9.3 updater and I've tried, as per a suggestion on a like posted here, to replace some ktext files. No luck.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2014 at 7:08:21 pm

[Don Smith] "Now that I've updated my 12-core new Mac Pro at home I can report it does NOT have a problem with the three monitors attached to it. Yet the three-monitor problem persists on my work 6-core new Mac Pro at work."

What are the differences in monitors between home and work?

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 19, 2014 at 7:17:51 pm

At work (on a 6-core 2013 Mac Pro) I have two 30" Apple displays connected with active Mini-Display to Dual Link adaptors. One each on different Thunderbolt buses. I also have a regular HD monitor connected to the HDMI port on the third bus. Two of the three monitors will light. Any two. But only two at one time.

At home (on a 12-core 2013 Mac Pro) I have a 27" Thunderbolt Apple display on one TB bus, an HD monitor (1920x1080) on a second TB bus, and an HD monitor on the HDMI port of the third bus. All three will function normally.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2014 at 7:27:51 pm

So it's the two dual ink monitors, plus a 5th link that seem to cause problems. I take it that the USB ports on the dual link adapters are plugged in to the back of the computer?

If you hold the option key down and choose the "detect displays" button in the displays system preference, will the Mac see the third monitor?

You should also get a lot more resolution options in the "Scaled" menu.

Return to posts index

Arthur Solari
on May 19, 2014 at 7:33:20 pm

Personally, I have tried all of the detect display.. and yes the dual links were plugged on; also the usb on the dual links were not working; so it is some kind of power issue; as they work now once downgraded to 10.9.2.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on May 19, 2014 at 7:46:56 pm

Tried the Option key to enable Detect Displays. No response.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 19, 2014 at 9:59:21 pm

[Don Smith] "Tried the Option key to enable Detect Displays. No response."

Bummer. I guess it really is busted.

:)

:(

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ss spincer
on May 29, 2014 at 5:49:48 pm

I downloaded a beta of 10.9.4 and this corrects the issue with the monitors if you have a Macpro 2013.

Return to posts index

Ted Morton
on May 31, 2014 at 3:46:17 am

I took the same upgrade and have the same results only 2 of my 3 monitors now work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]