FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Get The Best Use out Of My Hard Drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Floyd-Walker
How To Get The Best Use out Of My Hard Drives
on May 14, 2014 at 9:27:14 am

Hi
I have a Mid 2011 27" Core i7 iMac with a 1TB 7200rpm hard drive and 32 Gigs of ram, and also a WD MyBook 6TB Raid Firewire 800 external drive. I have always used my external drive as my media drive with FCPX saving its libraries on the internal drive. I always tell FCPX not to copy files on import.
I have used this setup with problems what so ever.
However I have just had a 128 gig SSD drive installed in the mac and have set that drive as the boot/OS drive. The old internal drive is now a storage drive with my home folder etc. This I set up in my user account.
So now I am wondering what the optimal arrangement would be for FCPX.
Should I just carry on as I have done. Using the firewire drive as my media drive and allowing FCPX to use the internal drive for its libraries etc. Or is there a more efficient way to use the drives that I have.
Like I've already said, I have had no issues with speed, rendering etc before.

Thanks for your time.
Rick

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: How To Get The Best Use out Of My Hard Drives
on May 14, 2014 at 1:52:07 pm

If you're not looking to expand in capacity, I wouldn't change your configuration except to maybe add a second USB/FW drive as a backup volume. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The only potential issue that I could see is in that if you start working with 2K or 4K input, you may find yourself hampered by the FW drive.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on May 14, 2014 at 5:14:50 pm

Even if your media is on your external, your renders are going to your system drive. That's a lot of writing and opportunity for hard drive failure. Until FCPX lets us store our render files outside of the library, I don't think keeping libraries on a system drive is a good idea.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Richard Floyd-Walker
on May 14, 2014 at 5:20:23 pm

I'm not saving to my system drive. I'm saving to my secondary hard drive. My system drive is my SSD and my storage drive is the original 1Tb hard drive that came with the machine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]