FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for rendering multicam to split screen with burned-in timecode for client preview

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Leifer
Workflow for rendering multicam to split screen with burned-in timecode for client preview
on May 11, 2014 at 7:09:36 am

Hello.

Background

I recorded a conference with three simultaneous cameras and separately mic'd audio. There's a total of about 20 sessions of 2 hours each.

Using FCPX, I'm creating multicam synchronised clips of the three camera angles and audio for each session.

I would like to be able to render each multicam clip to an mp4 to distribute to the clients (who use VLC) so they can preview the multicam rushes and make rough edit decisions.

Question

What is the most efficient FCPX workflow for rendering a multicam clip to a split screen with a burned in time code like this?

----------------------------
|Camera A | Camera B |
|--------------------------|
|Camera C | timecode |
----------------------------

Alternatively, instead of producing this mp4 from inside FCPX, should I instead be playing the multicam view in FCPX but recording it using a screen capture program? What would be the best setup?

Thank you for your ideas! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Workflow for rendering multicam to split screen with burned-in timecode for client preview
on May 12, 2014 at 3:31:00 am

Multicam and the angle editor are for switching and you don't need to switch anything. You just need to do a simple 3 window layout of a primary and two secondary storylines, sized at 25% And positioned into three corners of your screen with a TC reader. Presuming they're matched live cameras without gaps, I'd just manually sync them. Then export a master. Then dup the project and drop your next 3 clips on the originals using Replace from Start and manually sync batch 2 and so on. Working in small windows, I 'd go with proxy transcodes too. With decent hardware you should be done in a single working day if you can do your proxy creation in advance. Oh and why do the TC in a separate quadrant? Just drop a TC Reader generator on the Primary Storyline and make it big. Everything else will be synced to that during tour Angle Editor cut.
My 2 cents

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Leifer
Re: Workflow for rendering multicam to split screen with burned-in timecode for client preview
on May 12, 2014 at 9:41:53 am

Bill,

Thank you for your reply.

Apologies if I've misunderstood, but I think that some of your assumptions do not correspond to my situation.

The video segments are not all completely contiguous without gaps (for example when the third camera man moved his camera to face the audience for question time at the end of a presentation), so I want to be able to use the multicam synchronization feature of FCPX to easily get everything perfectly in sync and do easy angle-based editing.

Assuming I already have everything in a multicam clip: what is the easiest way to produce a split screen render so that the client can see all angles and the timecode? Should I render from FCPX? Or should I play back in FCPX and capture with a screencast recording program? (My goal is simplicity for doing this with lots of clips, not necessarily high quality video: the point is to give the client a quick preview.)

Please correct me if you think I've missed your point!

Best,
James

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on May 12, 2014 at 3:08:51 pm

Do it like Bill suggested - but with angles of the multicam.
Drag the multicam clip 3 times to the sequence each with another angle.

-Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

James Cude
on May 12, 2014 at 3:36:43 pm

You could do it that way but then you'd also have to add timecode generators for each. For that many clips it might get awfully tedious.

If it were me, I'd just layout all the multicam clips on one huge timeline, then open the angle editor with timecode showing and play the whole thing into a screen recording application overnight with the angle editor filling as much of the screen recording as possible. Depending on the res of your monitor you ought to be able to fill up at least a 720p sized frame at 1:1 with the angle editor and crop out the rest of the UI. Least amount of pain to achieve what you want.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]