FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Final Cut Pro X Library seems to be corrupted. Can it be repaired?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Fogle
A Final Cut Pro X Library seems to be corrupted. Can it be repaired?
on May 8, 2014 at 10:37:54 pm
Last Edited By Patrick Fogle on May 9, 2014 at 7:17:08 pm

I was working on a project today and for some reason Final Cut Pro X crashed. When I reopened Final Cut Pro X, my library reopened, but it reopened without any events or media, and no projects. Where there is usually an "Event icon" (the purple Icon with a white star) on the Library Browser, now it shows an expandable folder (with an arrow you can click on) with no contents inside. Upon closer inspection of the Library File ('Show Package Contents"), it shows all of the correct folders and files to make up all of the Events and Projects, but it will not open in FCPX correctly. I have an old backup of my library, but it does not have any of the numerous changes I have made over the past week to the project, so I still have all of my media secure, I just done want to lose my work. I also turned off library backups when I noticed that backups of all of the media was filling up my boot drive.

Any ideas on how to repair the database files that seem to be corrupted?

FYI, I am using Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1 on an OS X Mavericks Mac Pro.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
Re: A Final Cut Pro X Library seems o be corrupted. Can it be repaired?
on May 8, 2014 at 11:23:57 pm

What happens if you select the library in Finder and select "Show Package Contents"? Is anything there?

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Patrick Fogle
on May 9, 2014 at 12:01:03 am

Yes, as I said originally, showing the contents of the library file reveals a normal looking directory structure, complete with a "flexolibrary" file and a "currentversion" file in each project folder. It just seems to not work and open right for some reason. The old backup, as well as other libraries seen to open up normally.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on May 9, 2014 at 9:11:12 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/29764

Return to posts index

Patrick Fogle
on May 9, 2014 at 12:44:26 pm

Oh my gosh! I was able to get it working! What I eventually had to do was a combination of the suggestions mentioned here. Here is what I did:

1. After much exploring inside the library file (right click-then "Show Package Contents"), I noticed that inside the non-working library there was a second "CurrentVersion.fcpevent" file called "CurrentVersion.fcpevent-journal" (the same except it ended in "journal"). I followed one if the suggestions on this post. Made sure FCPX was closed. Then I copied a backup to my desktop and then trashed this file.

2. Then I followed another suggestion from the replies to this post and I trashed the "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" file.

3. Then I emptied the trash bin.

The combination of these 3 steps allowed my library to fire back up when I restarted FCPX! I'm still trying to see how many of my recent changes to the project were saved.

I will definitely look into making the auto backup feature of 10.1.1 work, but on another drive so that my boot drive does not fill up so fast!

Thanks for all your help! I really thought I was screwed and that I would have to recreate the project! But this worked!!!!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 9, 2014 at 4:44:39 pm

[Patrick Fogle] "I will definitely look into making the auto backup feature of 10.1.1 work, but on another drive so that my boot drive does not fill up so fast! "

The backup files are very small. They contain no media, render, or other files.

Return to posts index

Patrick Fogle
on May 9, 2014 at 4:51:44 pm

Well, that sounds good. I do have a question though. I turned on backups and chose a folder on another drive, but it has not started backing anything up over the past 2 hours. Any idea on how to get this to start backing up? I restarted FCPX. It is 10.1.1.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 9, 2014 at 5:51:39 pm

It's an automatic process.

Quitting and re opening usually forces a backup.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on May 9, 2014 at 5:53:26 pm

The auto-backup feature executes every 15 minutes, but only if something has been modified...

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Patrick Fogle
on May 9, 2014 at 7:21:30 pm

I get it that it is an automatic process that updates when there are changes every 15 min, but I cannot get it to initiate a single backup after there have been changes made. The "Save Library Backups" checkbox in Preferences is ticked and a good location has been chosen, but there has not been a single backup file added over a course of 5 hours. I just rebooted, so we will see if that makes a difference. Anyone know how to get it to initiate a backup for the first time after it is turned back on after turning it off previously?

Return to posts index

Mark Boisvert
on Aug 1, 2014 at 5:20:41 am

Thank you! This problem has crippled my business, and it was eating me up until I found this thread. However, I'm still having a problem. Once I followed these steps and restarted FCPX, my library opened up with the media and projects. Unfortunately, about the half the projects aren't working. They open, but every piece of media on the timeline is black and says "missing". It is not the same as the usual red unlinked media alert, and all of the media in the library is linked properly. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 9, 2014 at 12:47:15 pm

I had this happen and I couldn't fix it. FCPX is making me very nervous at the moment, looking forward to the next update!

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Patrick Fogle
on May 9, 2014 at 12:54:08 pm

I agree. It makes me very nervous too. Fortunately, every issue I have had has always been repairable. I'm a little nervous about updates with FCPX as well, because while the updates may patch previous problems, each update seems to come with its own set of new bugs. But I am appreciative of the additional features that they keep adding. I am a fairly new editor that started with FCPX. I guess I am going with FCPX for the long haul because I am really not in the position to have the time to learn another editor right now. Plus, for me, the features are good and it works great for me 99% of the time. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]