FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Levels in a Compound Clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael W. Towe
Audio Levels in a Compound Clip
on May 1, 2014 at 10:48:52 pm

Seeing something a bit odd and wondering if others are seeing it. I have a bunch on interviews that have each been edited, and each then turned into a compound clip. Compound clips will then be placed into a timeline and reordered as necessary.

Inside the compound clip I have added a Voice Over Enhancement effect to the audio and set the compressor to average out at -20db. This all works fine inside the compound clip. However when I place that compound clip into a project/timeline the audio is now 4db less than in the compound clip. In other words I need to raise the audio levels on the timeline compound clip by +4db.

What am I missing here? Shouldn't the levels of the compound clip on the timeline be the same as the levels of the clips inside the compound clip?

Thanks in advance,

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Audio Levels in a Compound Clip
on May 2, 2014 at 1:13:50 am

I think it's related to this:

http://mobi.creativecow.net/thread/344/29792

anickt

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on May 2, 2014 at 6:10:48 pm

Michael,

How many audio channels are active in your interview clips before you turned them into a compound clip? If there's only one channel active, the compounds created would become mono. In that scenario, the VU meter levels would appear different between the compound timeline and the project. Can you hear a difference in volume between the compound and project?

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Color Correcting in FCP X
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Michael W. Towe
on May 2, 2014 at 6:29:30 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the response. The compound clip is a single mono channel. So I guess the drop is the fact that it is splitting it to 2 stereo channels?

Mike

Michael W. Towe
President M2 Digital Post
http://www.m2digitalpost.com

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on May 2, 2014 at 6:41:57 pm

Yes that's exactly what's happening.

One thing I'd recommend is possibly adding the VO enhancement effect to the compound clip instead of inside the compound clip. This is assuming you are applying it globally to all clips inside the compound clip already.

Another quick workaround is to select the compound clip inside the library, go into the inspector and under Info, scroll down and select "Modify Settings." There you can change the compound clip to stereo. This only seems to work when selecting the compound clip from the library. Looks like they can't be modified from the project timeline.

And last, you could apply the effects inside a mono compound clip. If you have a mixer hooked up to your system, check the playback levels there.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Color Correcting in FCP X
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]