FORUMS: list search recent posts

import as keyword collection

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
import as keyword collection
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:40:11 pm

When I import folders containing P2 card files they are not being identified with the name of the finder folder in the browser or as a subheading in the event. But I can filter them by typing in the keyword. I thought by selecting import as a keyword collection that a keyword collection within the event would be created.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: import as keyword collection
on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:31:44 am

With p2, the encompassing folder becomes the fcpx reel name.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:04:36 pm

The P2 card is copied to a folder in the finder that I have named. But once imported, the only name FC is giving to it is the date of the recording not the folder name. So if all the folders contain media recorded on the same date, it imports as one big collection. Any part of the folder name however will be treated as a key word when I type it in the "search for clips by ______". So a keyword based on the folder name has been applied but does not show as a collection. The only way I can keep say b-roll media in its a own folder is to import them in a different event. I guess if I filter them by b-roll I could then create a keyword collection?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 22, 2014 at 9:57:02 pm

[Craig Alan] "But once imported, the only name FC is giving to it is the date of the recording not the folder name."

You can change the name of the clips easily.

Here's how this works.

You see the import window here (this is P2 material):

Notice the folder it's in is called "Card_12"

After import, the file is named the default time stamp from FCPX, and the reel name is "Card_12" like so:

I select the clips, open the inspector, find the info tab, and go the "Apply Custom Name" section and choose the "Original Name from Camera" drop down, or you can edit your own name in the edit tab.

Like this:

And the clip will change to P2 names like this (mine also has another name there as I had preset camera metadata).

If I wanted to crrate a keyword collection with "Card_12" I would sort the browser by reel name, select those clips, and make a kw collection called "Card_12", or make a smart collection, or whatever si best for you.

Hope that helps?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 22, 2014 at 11:09:13 pm

Thanks, does help. I can create a key word collection for each import which are cards A1 A2 B1 B2 etc. Filter by folder name and drag to the newly named key word collection. I'll try your suggestion of creating some of this structure upon import using the inspector. I can also try a batch rename.

Is there any command to highlight a group of clips and have them become a keyword collection? What I'm seeing is creating a keyword collection (basically a folder) and dragging clip into it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 23, 2014 at 12:26:59 am

[Craig Alan] "Thanks, does help. I can create a key word collection for each import which are cards A1 A2 B1 B2 etc. Filter by folder name and drag to the newly named key word collection. I'll try your suggestion of creating some of this structure upon import using the inspector. I can also try a batch rename. "

You can also import directly to a keyword collection.

Create a keyword collection (command-shift-k), name it and make sure it is selected in the browser, hit command-i to open the import window, and import. The clips will show up in the selected kw collection.

[Craig Alan] "Is there any command to highlight a group of clips and have them become a keyword collection? What I'm seeing is creating a keyword collection (basically a folder) and dragging clip into it."

Use the keyword editor (command-k).

Highlight the appropriate clips, command-k, type a name, hit enter.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:30:30 am

[Craig Alan] "Is there any command to highlight a group of clips and have them become a keyword collection? What I'm seeing is creating a keyword collection (basically a folder) and dragging clip into it."

As Jeremy suggested, try a smart collection. Create a new one, double click it, set the search function to look for text and add the text you want (A1 A2 B1 B2 etc.) close the window and It'll gather everything that meets the criteria for you. You can of course rename it to whatever you want.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:10:36 pm

Ok I'm getting it now. I can even do a filter search (which could be a paste of the folder name), click the mag glass next to the filter line, the filter term is added in the FILTER HUD, click the smart collection button in the HUD, then paste the folder name to name the smart collection. You'd think the new smart collection when created this way would already be named by the filter search term as a default but it remains unnamed.

Thanks Jeremy and Charlie. Big help.

Still not sure why if I selected import as a keyword collection this isn't done automatically. The keyword is attached to each clip so it's easy to filter by the keyword and then create a key/smart collection after importing. Once you establish an organization strategy, you start repeating steps over and over and it does get tedious.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]