FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I inport AVCHD from Canon C100 directly into X?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ned Miller
Can I inport AVCHD from Canon C100 directly into X?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 4:23:00 pm

I am new to X and AVCHD, been importing with no problem I can see. However, I've read that some editors rewrap using Clip Wrap and other programs before importing. I own Clip Wrap and TurboH264, what benefit is there to doing this? I thought X does it for you. I understand by rewrapping you have the ability to re-name the files. I understand there is a Canon utility that will stitch together takes over 2GB but won't X do that?

The only reason I can see the need for re-wrapping is to make sure the PFS-files are interpreted correctly as progressive. I've had problems with the footage being non-prgressive when imported into X.

Thank you for your answers!

Ned Miller
Chicago Videographer
http://www.nedmiller.com
www,bizvideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
Re: Can I inport AVCHD from Canon C100 directly into X?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:27:36 pm

Hey Ned - this is Jeff Carter in Tampa - I have a C100 and have been using it with FCPX for several months. Basically you must use the media import command to ingest the footage. It will re-wrap the footage and will be viewable by anything on the Mac. If you choose another folder to copy media to (instead of the library) you can see this in the finder. (You can also view the library by right-clicking and selecting 'view contents')

No need to use another utility, X does this for you.

Give me a shout (ateamvideo@mac.com) to let me know how you like the C100 and see how things are going.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Dec 4, 2014 at 9:17:40 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm having issues importing from the c100 into X. Some of the files it is calling QT files. Others it is calling AVC still with a little camera icon in the bottom right of the thumbnail. What's going on?

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Dec 5, 2014 at 2:13:07 pm

FCPX changes the wrapper on the C100 files to .MOV on import. Those camera icons mean the footage is not on your hard drive, but the SD card (or camera). You will need to make sure they get copied to a hard drive before easing the card.

Go to File>Import>Reimport from camera/archive.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:27:27 pm

Thx. I am trying that, and it won't let me. I have copied the AVCHD file to an external hard drive. File/Reimport from camera is greyed out. I tried putting the card back into my computer and trying again. Still greyed out.

This is weird b/c half of the files converted to QT correctly. The others have the camera icon in the thumbnail (and didn't convert). Now I can't the rest to convert.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:31:29 pm

I deleted the trouble files from the library and am reimporting. Seems to be working. :)

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Carter
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:56:08 pm

I have found that it is better to either create an archive from the SD card first, then import from that or use FCPX to import directly from the card. If you copy the SD card to a folder on a drive using the operating system first, then try to import from that, it seems to have problems.

I would always use FCPX to copy from the cards.

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:57:33 pm

Thx, Jeff! I am always afraid to do that, I guess, for fear of FCP damaging my card. But maybe I back it up to a hard drive first and then let FCP copy it over to my working file. Thx much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]