FORUMS: list search recent posts

Don't know how to relink media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Don't know how to relink media
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:24:37 am

I don't know what I did, but I have yellow triangles across a lot of my events. It looks like I have to relink media and I read up on how to do it, but I haven't been successful. When I try to relink media, I know where the media is. It's in the library. But when I try and reconnect, the farthest I can go is the library, but I can't open it to click on the file I want relinked. There is no option to "Show package Contents".

If anyone can offer some help I would really appreciate it.

Note: I am not getting the red screen of death, just the yellow triangle. Here is a link below to show what I am talking about.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: Don't know how to relink media
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:58:46 pm

Relinking media that is in a library is one of those areas that is gray to me. Maybe there is a way to do this that I don't know about. What I did was: with FCPX closed - in the finder click on library > reveal package contents, then dragged the folder outside of the library to some place where it is visible, This could be almost any place, but best to keep it on your drive with the library. Some people drag the folder to the favorites sidebar in the finder. Once done. reopen your project and relink media by pointing to the media folder that you have either placed in the finder side bar or outside of the library on your media drive.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:49:33 pm

Perhaps just make an alias of that folder and place it on the desktop?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:57:26 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:00:21 pm

Some thinking to consider:

X is functionally a database that relies on deep asset IDs to know what's where. These have little to do with what you see on your desktop in terms of names or tags or finder labels.

If you're using Managed Media (assets are directly stored IN the Library) - then it's simple for X to know where everything is. But that system FAILS for those who need a more distributed system of media management. So X also allows for Referenced Media - assets stored in volumes outside the Library.

The database is launched when a Library is launched. Once launched, that Library looks for MOUNTED VOLUMES with assets it's been linked to. That could happen when you startup X, or it could be a Library you launch from an attached drive or network location.

The database is always on the lookout for these "mounted volumes" - this is important. Because while some users always have their volumes mounted - others do not.

The problem is that users get impatient and CREATE their Libraries and the resulting databases when the location of asset pools (mounted volumes) are in a temporary arrangement - and then they shift those assets to another location. The database looks in the original location and finds nothing. This is Offline Media. So you want to Reconnect Media. Fair, but it's not so easy in a relational system flexible enough to accommodate so many different workflows.

This was simpler when the database structure was simpler (FCP-Legacy for example) Because the system could look around and re-link via the finder. In X post 10.1 it's more complex since you have to work with the new Libraries - and if you get squirrelly with your library creation - say you create TWO libraries with the same imported assets (bad idea, generally) you can re-connct one but have the second one still disconnected. This is because Libraries are SELF CONTAINED and they don't share info with other libraries.

Bottom line. It's very, very wise in 10.1 to have a library creation STRATEGY. Where it will live, what it represents (client?, project?, job? month? - whatever) and how you're going to use it. (Managed or Referenced - BEFORE you import your assets into it.

If you develop such a structure, and work it consistently, you'll literally never have a problem with off-line clips again. If you're using managed media, launching the Library will launch everything you need. And if you're in a more complex situation using referenced media - clips that are offline because the source volume is missing will auto-reconnect the moment a volume with the right deep ID id is mounted.

SO, the worst thing you can do is create a Library with it's internal location links and database location info pointed to ONE place, then take that place away.

I know it all seems complex. But it's complex because X is evolving into a system where the single user and the facility user - the single USB travel drive and the network attached storage array system - BOTH have the flexibility to work the way they need.

So teeth gritting and learning the options are the order of the day.

If you already have a library and it's got persistent disconnection problems - you might want to consider re-creating it where you actually need it and do it correctly from square one.

If you want to explore opening the Package Contents where X now stores it's assets and moving assets around via the finder, that's up to you. It can certainly work, but going in that direction is schooling yourself to solve problems of things done incorrectly - and if all you want to do is EDIT - not troubleshoot - it may be more valuable to go back to square one and re-enforce the proper habits instead of learning how to fix problems. That's your call.

Hope this helps. It's all off the top of my head and I'd be delighted if anyone can clarify or point out flaws in my descriptions.

The central truth is that used as it's designed, X is dependable and flexible and wicked fast as an NLE option.

But it's not dumb or simple or rudimentary in any sense.

Happy editing!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:06:27 am

One should listen to Bill more than me. I did the move I described to get an errant project to Re link and it worked, but that doesn't mean what I did is the best way to go about solving the delinking problem.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 19, 2014 at 12:29:37 pm

It says thus video is private?

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:02:09 am

ON A RELATED NOTE: - Please help!

I have a problem whereby i have not moved any of my external media (original red files) but FCPX no longer allows me to go into optimized/ original mode.

I followed this advice for setting everything up, importing and creating proxies and all was well for a while....
http://www.moviemaker.com/diy/movies-better-fcp-x-red-feature-film-workflow...
I could switch back & forth easily.

Now i am stuck in proxy mode and some searching on the web/ asking fcpx friends has not furnished me with a solution.

(In another film i am also stuck in proxy mode - unfortunately in this one there are no proxies so i have the red missing media warning everywhere. If i could just switch back to original media moe i'd be fine)

My library is actually on the same disk as my referenced files though those files are not inside the library.

If anyone can steer me towards a fix that would be great. I have many weeks of work sunk into this project & will feel very nervous until it all links up as it should.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:48:34 am

You physically can't change to Original, like FCPX won't let you flip the switch?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]